#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #29
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev1lTwinXD View Post
Just an update on the search: So I’m looking at a 18 ZL1 this guy is selling. The car is mint condition and has been stored in rain/snow. It only has 3,700 miles on it and he is asking 52,000 for it.

What I want to know is if this is a fair price (I think it is) and just using the car as a daily driver what problems would I face.
Fair price for sure depending upon options desired. A10, PDR, sunroof? Goodyear tires are definitely crap in the cold and wet. You should use them until they are gone and replace them with Michelin PS4S. Go RVA!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #30
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I’ll play the wet blanket. I’d vote to wait. IMO, the ZL1 isn’t a great DD. Ergonomics are terrible, parking is tough with wide fenders , poor visibility, and a low splitter. I’m also a believer in not driving mine everyday, or else I’d take its awesomeness for granted and also get ‘used to’ the power.

To answer some questions not already answered, you can get an insurance quote online with your carrier without having to buy. You’ll get the exact price. Clear coat issues - yes, paint on my car is delicate as eggshells. Tires- take your choice: expensive, dry/warm only and short life; or expensive, all-season, and less traction.

I’m also very anti-debt and frugal. I worked hard and saved hard early in life, and I firmly believe in paying cash for luxuries and toys. Based on the nature of your questions, my guess is that the cash above/beyond your V6 would go a lot further in investments at your age. I’ve had many friends that stretched for a fast car, boat, RV, etc. Those same purchases became heavy burdens and they parted with them down the road for way less than they paid, and with heavy regret.

To me the ZL1 is like ice cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love ice cream, but I wouldn’t want to have to eat it for every meal. And sometimes I can’t afford the calories. FYI, I DD a 2006 F150, which I can abuse and don’t fret door dings, lost French fries, or dirty paint. I drive it 5x/wk. I garage my ZL1, and it’s a fair weather and track car. I drive it 2x/week. Perfect split for me. Good luck with whatever you decide!

This in my opinion is about the best response in this post! Coming from a youngish to middle age guy I 100% agree. I pay cash for my toys and work hard to do so but plan for my future. I dd a 2004 Buick rendezvous bc I don’t care what happens to it, insurance is cheap etc. don’t get me wrong I drive my 18 Zl1 and my 16 720 hp Z06 as much as I can (I live in Houston) but daily driving can at times become a slight pita.

Op I’d keep ur V6 for a while longer (still a damn nice car) and stack some $ away and once the C8 drops and the “I have to have it now” guys trade in their Zl1’s and take a blood bath make your move. You will have equity in ur trade plus a few pennies stashed away for extra tires (buy a spare set of new take off’s off Craigslist or on here) for next to nothing etc. this better prepares you to be in your Zl1 without worrying abt life happening. They aren’t going away and you will get one soon enough. Either way good luck with ur decision
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #31
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev1lTwinXD View Post
Just an update on the search: So I’m looking at a 18 ZL1 this guy is selling. The car is mint condition and has been stored in rain/snow. It only has 3,700 miles on it and he is asking 52,000 for it.

What I want to know is if this is a fair price (I think it is) and just using the car as a daily driver what problems would I face.

I DD my M6 52 miles a day. Average 17mpg mix with spirited driving. Insurance will vary widely but it was cheaper then my F250. Oil changes as mentioned are expensive but not much else over what you are driving now.You do have to change the tires asap. Every day you drive on those in sub 50's and rain is a gamble. Other then that just a more powerful version of what you have now. Spend the money and get a newer radar detector as your risk of driving fast goes up when behind the wheel every day. I paid 52 for my 18 with 9k miles 6 months ago. It's an M6. Another dealer had the auto with about 15k miles for 57. Markets vary but that price is good for my area.
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:14 AM   #32
Eddsterrrrrr

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Coupe, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I’ll play the wet blanket. I’d vote to wait. IMO, the ZL1 isn’t a great DD. Ergonomics are terrible, parking is tough with wide fenders , poor visibility, and a low splitter. I’m also a believer in not driving mine everyday, or else I’d take its awesomeness for granted and also get ‘used to’ the power.

To answer some questions not already answered, you can get an insurance quote online with your carrier without having to buy. You’ll get the exact price. Clear coat issues - yes, paint on my car is delicate as eggshells. Tires- take your choice: expensive, dry/warm only and short life; or expensive, all-season, and less traction.

I’m also very anti-debt and frugal. I worked hard and saved hard early in life, and I firmly believe in paying cash for luxuries and toys. Based on the nature of your questions, my guess is that the cash above/beyond your V6 would go a lot further in investments at your age. I’ve had many friends that stretched for a fast car, boat, RV, etc. Those same purchases became heavy burdens and they parted with them down the road for way less than they paid, and with heavy regret.

To me the ZL1 is like ice cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love ice cream, but I wouldn’t want to have to eat it for every meal. And sometimes I can’t afford the calories. FYI, I DD a 2006 F150, which I can abuse and don’t fret door dings, lost French fries, or dirty paint. I drive it 5x/wk. I garage my ZL1, and it’s a fair weather and track car. I drive it 2x/week. Perfect split for me. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I'm a Bobcat and I can eat that cream all day everyday
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Coupe | M6 | Special Fifty Wheels | MRC | NPP | Sunroof | Special Fifty Grey/Black/Orange Interior/Trim | Chevy Black Bow Ties | Ceramic Pro Gold Lifetime Package | Husky Floor-Liner | Thinkware F770 Dual Camera Dash Cam | ZL1 Add-Ons Red Lift Points |
Eddsterrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #33
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
OP, I have a 2018 ZL1 M6, that I kind of daily.

I say "kind of" because I don't drive it when it rains or is below 40 degrees F. In those conditions, I drive my truck.

I have almost reached 15k miles in 1 year and 9 mo. I will have had mine 2 years this April.

In nearly 15 k miles, I have done 4 oil changes, 1 diff fluid change, 1 brake/clutch fluid flush and refill and am on my second set of tires. I am getting ready for another oil change, transmission fluid change and a second diff fluid change at 16k miles.

I love this car. I don't get all of the bitching about visibility, I can see out of it just fine.

Living in North Carolina, I don't have to worry about putting it up for the winter and since I have a 2 - car garage, it sits in the garage when not being driven.

I burned up my OEM tires at 8200 miles and replaced them with Nitto NT555 G2. I went with the stock sized front, but the 315/30-20 rear. Since I have yet to take this car to a track, I opted for a street tire. I know these will suck at the track.

Anyway, I love driving this to and from work whenever the weather allows. I have even taken her on a trip to Charleston, SC and got 23mpg on I-95.

If you really want a ZL1 for a daily... Do it. You only live once, might as well enjoy yourself.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #34
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I second that SteveV!!