Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Centralvenus

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro & Equinox
Advice on Carvana Purchase w/multiple issues

Hello all! I'm usually not one to post on internet forums and this is my first post here so thanks for taking the time to read

I bought a 2016 2ss from Carvana a couple weeks ago and when I picked it up, the tach was bouncing all over the place, the remote start didn't work, the driver side window didn't open a bit then close so it contacts the door seal, the transmission seems to have the bit of shudder that I've read about here and when I looked under the hood, the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I discovered all this in about hrs after picking it up.

Carvana agreed to replace the car and I would get it a week later but 45 minutes before the drop off time, the tech called and said the AC wasn't working! They took it to the nearest Chevy dealer to do a full diagnosis and fix the AC. 5 days later the local Carvana manager calls me and tells me he picked up the car but on the drive back, the sunroof didn't work and there was a strange sound coming from a front strut! What the heck?!? I still have the first car while I wait on the replacement car but that one has developed even another problem. Along with the tach bouncing, the temp guage drops to "0", fans blowing like crazy and no AC. I've disconnected the battery three times as a band-aid fix.

I'm questioning if I should even buy a Camaro any longer. Are these cars this problematic all the time!?

I absolutely love the style, power and presence of the car but I'm really reconsidering my purchase decision at this point. Can anyone offer any insight about the severity of these issues? Thanks

-Barry
Centralvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
It's a 3 year old car. Who knows how the previous owner took care of it.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
sounds like it may have been a buyback, have you run a carfax on it?
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Give it back and choose a different one btw.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralvenus View Post
Hello all! I'm usually not one to post on internet forums and this is my first post here so thanks for taking the time to read

I bought a 2016 2ss from Carvana a couple weeks ago and when I picked it up, the tach was bouncing all over the place, the remote start didn't work, the driver side window didn't open a bit then close so it contacts the door seal, the transmission seems to have the bit of shudder that I've read about here and when I looked under the hood, the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I discovered all this in about hrs after picking it up.

Carvana agreed to replace the car and I would get it a week later but 45 minutes before the drop off time, the tech called and said the AC wasn't working! They took it to the nearest Chevy dealer to do a full diagnosis and fix the AC. 5 days later the local Carvana manager calls me and tells me he picked up the car but on the drive back, the sunroof didn't work and there was a strange sound coming from a front strut! What the heck?!? I still have the first car while I wait on the replacement car but that one has developed even another problem. Along with the tach bouncing, the temp guage drops to "0", fans blowing like crazy and no AC. I've disconnected the battery three times as a band-aid fix.

I'm questioning if I should even buy a Camaro any longer. Are these cars this problematic all the time!?

I absolutely love the style, power and presence of the car but I'm really reconsidering my purchase decision at this point. Can anyone offer any insight about the severity of these issues? Thanks

-Barry
Before I bought my Camaro, I looked at used ones on CarMax, Carvana, and several other website dealers like that. Nearly every one of the Camaros I found were previous rentals. I’m pretty sure these cars are rented, raced, and returned. I just couldn’t get myself to buy a used one because of this. You really just don’t know the history of the car. CarFax reports are only partial reports that don’t include information such as has the car was driven dry the previous owner. Not all accidents show up on a CarFax report because the damage may not have reported to insurance and repaired without any record of the repair. Some have had good luck with purchasing used Camaro SS’s. I just wasn’t willing to gamble so I saved more money and bought a brand new one instead. There are good ones out there, you just have to be very meticulous in your research and be patient. Also, I found that the difference in price from a used one to a new one was not all that significant depending on the options.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I'll bet it was flooded at some point. Ditch it
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralvenus View Post

-Barry
No not all Camaro's have these issues. The trans shudder is well documented on this forum but even then not all A8 Camaro's have the shudder. I would get another Camaro from them OR cancel the deal an find a Camaro form a private owner who knows the complete history of the car.....
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Maybe I am old but how can you buy a car sight unseen.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I had two gen 6's- one brand new 2017 and the other my current drive a used 2016. The brand new one did have the shudder issue- and it shuddered very bad. I struggled so much getting it fixed and did not want the hassle so I traded it in. Other than the shudder it was problem free. My second one I bought used with M6 and it's fine, no issues at all other than quite a few irritating dents , which were able to be fixed with PDR. So keep looking and find a good one. Any used car is susceptible to issues and problems. Be thorough on your test drive(s).
Old 10-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
Centralvenus

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro & Equinox
dpevans, I hear you and I had issues with this also but I was put in a position where I needed transportation since my current car died at 217k miles. My work doesn't allow me to take the time I needed to shop so Carvana seemed like a great option given it's reviews, 7 day return policy and (supposed) commitment to quality used cars.

Laststandard, The current 2016 2SS I have is being returned as soon as my replacement car is done at the dealer for a non-working AC, sun-roof and suspicious noise from a strut.

Buying a beater car for the time-being and saving up for a new one is sounding like it might be the best route to take in this whole situation. Oh well, live and learn. At least I'm not stuck with a lemon. Thanks for all your feedback!

-Barry
Centralvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Never trust a company selling cars out of a vending machine

Just kidding around, but in all seriousness how does that even work?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
I have read about gauge issues being a result of a bad ground connection from the factory. So your bouncing tach may not be the result of any damage, just a factory issue that can be easily and cheaply repaired.

But I always caution anyone buying a used car sight unseen without a mechanics inspection. It's really not enough to just get a carfax either. Pay a good mechanic that you trust $50 to look everything over. Inspect the suspension, run the computer code history, check cooling/oil pressure/compression/AC - especially on a high performance car.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Let Carvana take it back and go for another one or if you can get your money back and do a search on Cars.com or others to find another Camaro!!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
cmking26

Drives: 2018 Arctic Blue SS Recaro's
Most people do not have that many problems with their camaros. I would be leary that it got flooded and was never reported to insurance. Instead someone cleaned it up and sold it quick to make more money...
cmking26 is offline   Reply With Quote