Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Meth addicts inside please!

Has anyone had corrosion problems on the HE's from spraying meth into their SC inlet?

If so, about how many gals have you juiced before they started to break down?

Also, those with meth, how much do you spray? I guess it can't be too much if you're using a washer bottle as a reservoir.

Finally, what fail safe is there to keep your motor from leaning out if your pump fails or you empty the tank?
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
if it doesn't detect the octane needed..it'll pull timing (my original installer told me). But, you still need to watch your A/F gauge. When my pump failed, I noticed A/F stayed at 14.7 at WOT. I was like holy shit. pull timing, fine.... but what about going lean??? Contacted my new tuner and got a new (no meth) tune. Now WOT stays at 12.2 give or take. Once it's fixed, I'll reload the meth tune.

Moral of the story...pay attention to your gauges.

Let me add that you definitely need an A/F gauge. It's what confirmed my meth wasn't spraying. The indicator light went red, but never green. Datalogs show IATs not going lower. You can push the test button too (do that everytime you start the car) you should see the the A/F gauge go rich and the engine will stumble a little. if it does that, you're good to go.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Haven't seen any issues at all, I do spray a little water with it for cooling.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I guess I am clueless to what "HE's" are, but in about 7000 miles of running boost with a meth system, I have gone thru 10 gallons of meth. Its relative to nozzle size and how much / how long you are into boost.

I am running 9ish lbs with twin 10lb nozzles
Old 07-31-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I guess I am clueless to what "HE's" are, but in about 7000 miles of running boost with a meth system, I have gone thru 10 gallons of meth. Its relative to nozzle size and how much / how long you are into boost.

I am running 9ish lbs with twin 10lb nozzles
Heat Exchangers. Since meth and aluminum do not get along well, I was wondering if the thin metal was deteriorating.

I'm guessing 10 lb/hr. At what PSI?

How much meth are you going thru in a 1/4?

Thanks LL. I know you have a lot of spray time on yours.

BTW, anyone can chime in. I'm trying to understand the det's on how this designed.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
grampa_ss

Some tuners pull a bunch of timing at WOT if IATs go over a certain temp ..like say 100. Car will fall flat on its face and that should alert you that something is wrong.

Last edited by grampa_ss; 07-31-2019 at 06:29 AM.
grampa_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 AM   #7
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Heat Exchangers. Since meth and aluminum do not get along well, I was wondering if the thin metal was deteriorating.

I'm guessing 10 lb/hr. At what PSI?

How much meth are you going thru in a 1/4?

Thanks LL. I know you have a lot of spray time on yours.

BTW, anyone can chime in. I'm trying to understand the det's on how this designed.
I haven't sat down to measure how much it would use in a short burst like that, but with running a whole tank of fuel (E85) I use less than a quart of methanol.

That is two evenings of roll racing and a couple of digs.

I did a weekend long event a few weeks ago. Two dyno pulls, a whole bunch of launch / stop box competitions (small dig races), 7 autocross runs (1st gear WOT pulls in several places) and a couple of roll races back and forth to the event and it used almost two quarts.

I have gone thru 10 gallons of methanol in 6000ish miles of using the system, and that includes all the tuning / dyno pulls in the beginning. About $50 worth of meth.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
I haven't sat down to measure how much it would use in a short burst like that, but with running a whole tank of fuel (E85) I use less than a quart of methanol.

That is two evenings of roll racing and a couple of digs.

I did a weekend long event a few weeks ago. Two dyno pulls, a whole bunch of launch / stop box competitions (small dig races), 7 autocross runs (1st gear WOT pulls in several places) and a couple of roll races back and forth to the event and it used almost two quarts.

I have gone thru 10 gallons of methanol in 7000ish miles of using the system, and that includes all the tuning / dyno pulls in the beginning. About $50 worth of meth.
50$ worth of meth? what do you use?
Isn't VP M1 like $70 for 5 gallons?
Do you mix meth? or 100% straight?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
grampa_ss

I pay about $20 for a 5 gal bucket. I Get it from Chemical plant. Thomas Petroleum. I have a single 15 nozzle. I bought 10 gals in November. I still have about 6-7 gals left and I got WOT a lot. Granted, car not driven in winter months. But it lasts longer than expected for me. Now my buddy is spraying a 15 & 10 nozzle and will run out during cruises.

Last edited by grampa_ss; 07-31-2019 at 10:18 AM.
grampa_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
DapperDan

Drives: 2017 1SS A8 Nightfall Gray
Ive wondered why lots are so against using Meth? This is my first blower car so I don't know much about this stuff , but I have had Meth about 10 months and so far so good. I know things can screw up , but can't that happen with a BAP or AUX system or even a factory pump could crap out. I go out to get in my car,I glance around for any leaks or anything dumb ,I'd do that even if it was still stock , start it up glance at the dial make sure its where its suspose to be hit the little test button the light comes on, the idle stumbles alittle and I know its working. I haven't even used a can yet, 3 passes at the dragstrip uses about a pint. I use Renegade think it was like 35 a can.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #11
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
50$ worth of meth? what do you use?
Isn't VP M1 like $70 for 5 gallons?
Do you mix meth? or 100% straight?
My tuner sells bulk Methanol for $5/gal.

I don't mix, run it strait.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Ive wondered why lots are so against using Meth? This is my first blower car so I don't know much about this stuff , but I have had Meth about 10 months and so far so good. I know things can screw up , but can't that happen with a BAP or AUX system or even a factory pump could crap out. I go out to get in my car,I glance around for any leaks or anything dumb ,I'd do that even if it was still stock , start it up glance at the dial make sure its where its suspose to be hit the little test button the light comes on, the idle stumbles alittle and I know its working. I haven't even used a can yet, 3 passes at the dragstrip uses about a pint. I use Renegade think it was like 35 a can.
I have wondered that myself - about the negative image of someone using methanol injection.

I get asked a lot how much power my car makes as it is kind of a giant killer on roll racing. I tell them 702hp, and the next question is what are the mods. Tell them "blower on 9lbs, E85, and meth injection" and you generally get some kind of "oh, you use Meth." Like meth HPs are made of styrofoam or something lol.

Anyone running a PD blower should be using it IMO.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
I have wondered that myself - about the negative image of someone using methanol injection.

I get asked a lot how much power my car makes as it is kind of a giant killer on roll racing. I tell them 702hp, and the next question is what are the mods. Tell them "blower on 9lbs, E85, and meth injection" and you generally get some kind of "oh, you use Meth." Like meth HPs are made of styrofoam or something lol.

Anyone running a PD blower should be using it IMO.
I completely disagree. If you have enough fuel for the power level you are running then there is no reason to add alky injection. I completely understand adding alky if you are gonna be tracking the car...

1. How do you control the distribution within the cylinder?
2. How do you guarantee the delivery is making it into the system with no other leaks?

Seems to me that running alky for because you can’t deliver enough fuel is silly. Running for cooling (and additional safety) at the track makes great sense.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I completely disagree. If you have enough fuel for the power level you are running then there is no reason to add alky injection. I completely understand adding alky if you are gonna be tracking the car...
I agree. It should only be used as a coolant, not a fuel source. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the aftermarket hasn't caught up with the fueling (high volume pumps/injectors etc) issues (other than cam lobe) for this motor.

Quote:
1. How do you control the distribution within the cylinder?
I thought the same thing. I'm thinking with the hotter IAT and the low boiling point of alky that it doesn't go out of suspension as easy as gasoline.
Gasoline is actually a blend of fuels and can fractionate. Meth has a more definitive latent heat.
For example: Straight octane boils @ 257F vs meth @ 148F

If there distribution issues, I would think there would be a lot gaskets/pistons getting wrecked from detonation. OR, the ECU is pulling timing still and noticing it.
The only real way to know is to dyno your motor setup and check exhaust temp on every cylinder.

Quote:
2. How do you guarantee the delivery is making it into the system with no other leaks?
What kind of leak? Vacuum/Pressure? Fuel?

Quote:
Seems to me that running alky for because you can’t deliver enough fuel is silly. Running for cooling (and additional safety) at the track makes great sense.
It appears like the problem with all this is the 11.5/1 ratio. This motor (actually ALL motors, we just haven't had them mass produced since the 60's) is that they are fuel snobs. 91/93 octane is the equivalent giving some French guy Mad Dog 20/20 and telling if it's fine wine.

In the 60's, they had leaded 100+ at the pump. 91/93 would destroyed them.

The ECU motor can drink the low grade stuff, but she ain't happy. E85 has the octane, but it's hard to flow enough to keep up with demand because it is short on BTU's. Meth is the crutch.