#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #183
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I kinda like start/stop tech. It saves gas when you're stationary, whys that so bad?

Put it in sport mode to stop it if you don't like it, or some cars can turn it off entirely.
But in a vette plus in really bad stop'n'go like Jersey shore summer traffic you don't want the a/c off for a second
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #184
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Sure, but how big of a missed opportunity is it? On the 911, I think I heard the manual take rate is something like 1 in 5. Not even sure if Ferrari even offers a manual, and they're the icon for mid engined sports cars.

There is a big difference between the number of people who would like there to be a manual, and the ones who would only ever buy it with a manual. Only the latter are of any real importance to the folks in product planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
If the corvette is to viewed as an alternative to vehicles with higher end tech, they are eventually going to have to do away with old tech....even with some unhappy. The majority of Corvettes are actually sold with automatics. Paddle shifters, where you can keep both hands on the wheel on machines making this level of hp are the future. We don't use a 3 speed on the tree anymore....tech is always evolving
Sure, but Porsche (the same company that produces arguably the best transmission in the world) feels a manual transmission mid engine car has a market.

I don't think anyone here will honestly expect the C8 DCT to rival the PDK, so why can't there be a market for a manual C8? I wonder how many people there are in the world that would drive a manual, mid engine n/a V8 car but there isn't a single one to pick from.

Besides, the manual take rate for the current Corvette isn't that bad, is it?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #185
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Doubt it. GM seems to be happy with AFM / DFM. Maybe someone on here with a truck that has either can say whether or not any trucks with AFM or DFM also have SS.
I have a '19 1500 HighCountry 6.2 that has DFM and SS. You can disable it via a switch but have to do it every time you start the engine. I feel a slight vibration(?) as it starts but there is not the normal starter sound or delay. If you run air it seldom shuts off. Service advisor at dealership said it can be disabled via several after market products but all update ECM and can potentially void warranty. I normally do not shut it off and really don't notice it unless it shuts off just as I take foot off brake to move..
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #186
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
If it doesn't have 3 pedals, I won't buy it. I don't care how fast it is. I've spent a lot of time learning to properly hot-shoe 3 pedals with 2 feet, at the same time. I'm never giving that up.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #187
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/ex...box=1562866074
Old 07-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #188
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
A. Define inferior. I see a DCT as inferior in the "fun department". It is 100% subjective.

B. Not everyone wants to sit there and permit the machine to do all of the work. There are many of us that will never track the thing and simply want to enjoy rowing the gears on back roads. IMHO, that is what makes a pony car or sports car, fun. If I wanted an auto, I'd buy an '86 Caravan and be done with it. It is all personal preference, but with many Corvette faithful already groaning about the mid-engine design, only offering a DCT will alienate more potential buyers.
This is me exactly. My truck and the wife's SUV are autos/DCT - and I am bothered by those quite often. Only difference to your post is that I do track my toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Doubt it. GM seems to be happy with AFM / DFM. Maybe someone on here with a truck that has either can say whether or not any trucks with AFM or DFM also have SS.
GM is happy with AFM/DFM - plenty of customers aren't...myself included. I touched on my '17 Denali 6.2 A8 in another thread but the just of the A8 issues can mostly be attributed to the Torque Converter lockup solenoid pulsing in AFM mode - hence why I disabled mine with the Range AFM product and maintained my warranty. The lifter issue is another reason, albeit slightly less common.

I also daily drive a 2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 A8, CCSB 4x4. This truck has DFM and Auto S/S. The Auto S/S is hardly advantageous in its factory programming. The longest I've experienced it off while stopped at a light/intersection is less than 60 seconds before it starts up again on its own (no change in brake pressure, no vehicle movement). I am also experiencing vibrations that I can only assume is DFM as the new trucks no longer tell you when they are cutting cylinders. Needless to say, I am glad I don't own this unit and will be surprised if it makes 30,000 miles without a major warranty claim.

Edit: Good grief that steering wheel is ugly...please be a pre-production example that won't make it to actual production. Found a link, guess it's production official :(

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...ing-wheel.html
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2

Last edited by NW-99SS; 07-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #189
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Besides, the manual take rate for the current Corvette isn't that bad, is it?
Only ~25% of C7's were produced with manuals. I know when I started looking at Grand Sports, I was hard-pressed to find a stick. A lightweight, NA powered track monster with the 8-speed auto ("slush box")?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Edit: Good grief that steering wheel is ugly...please be a pre-production example that won't make it to actual production. Found a link, guess it's production official :(

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...ing-wheel.html
Agreed. That C8 steering wheel looks as if someone commandeered it from a Tie Fighter. I'll have to wait and see the entire vehicle in person before being too overly critical. It may conform to the rest of the vehicle perfectly.
I can't wait for next Thursday!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #190
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...tte-logos.html

Confirmed Stingray nameplate.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #191
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
If it doesn't have 3 pedals, I won't buy it. I don't care how fast it is. I've spent a lot of time learning to properly hot-shoe 3 pedals with 2 feet, at the same time. I'm never giving that up.
word brother!!!! I'm right there with you. I'll keep my 2016 Z06 manual thank you
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #192
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
So anybody have any guesses to what the C8 Stingray is going to MSRP for?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #193
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So anybody have any guesses to what the C8 Stingray is going to MSRP for?
Considering the C7 Stingary can be had for ~$57k, the C8 better start at no more than $60-65k. If it costs more, GM will have successfully alienated many of their Corvette customers and the C8 could wind up unraveling the Corvette as a whole.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #194

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Here's the link to the live reveal...

https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

Curious how much, if any, real info we'll get such as MSRP, engines, transmission(s), specs, etc...We'll see.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #195
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Considering the C7 Stingary can be had for ~$57k, the C8 better start at no more than $60-65k. If it costs more, GM will have successfully alienated many of their Corvette customers and the C8 could wind up unraveling the Corvette as a whole.
That is kind of along my line of thinking as well high 60s to maybe touching low 70s for the C8 Stingray.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #196
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Agreed. Of course, this generation will go onto price levels not yet seen for Corvette, but the base and lower end models had better start in that mid 60s range...fingers crossed. (not that I'll be buying one lol)