Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
Spykexx

Drives: 2022 BMW M3 competition Xdrive
Sanity check: have a ZL1 on the way

Hello all, first time posting here. Just looking for some sanity check to ensure I'm making the right decision.

Came from a 2020 Mustang A10 into a new 22 BMW M3 Competition Xdrive. Was always a dream car of mine and in many ways I absolutely love the car. Does nearly everything you could ask of it and does it with zero complaint, drama or sweat. But my issue...is exactly that. There's zero drama, zero anything. It's numb. It's insanely fast, and the AWD is nuts. Powering out of turns on the track far faster than should be allowable. But even at that point, there's no emotion to that. It just does it and does it flawlessly.

We had decided to take it to the track one last time this weekend to make sure it was the right decision to let it go. And put in to have a 19 ZL1 transferred to our local dealer that night and it's on its way. My wife also got out of her AWD BMW for the exact same reason.

Not even sure of the question to ask, but am I crazy? �� Trading more power, faster, AWD for a ZL1. Would you guys do the same in that situation? *Looks aside as I know that's subjective
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Welcome to the Forum

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
Dan82679

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Keep both if you can.
Dan82679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #4
Spykexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan82679 View Post
Keep both if you can.
Hard to justify keeping a 100k+ dollar car that isn't being enjoyed. The M3 was purchased as my track/weekend car, already have a daily, if the ZL1 fills that role it's just sitting around.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
I personally always found AWD boring to drive.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
Spykexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
I personally always found AWD boring to drive.
It does SO many things well. And as an all around car, it's nearly perfect. But yea, even closer to the limit it's still boring, and hard to justify keeping it as a weekend/track car if it's not fun.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
JustinZL1

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Regarding more power unless you modded the m3 isn’t it around 500 versus 650hp? Awd cars are a totally different experience than a front engine rwd car. Personally I am trading my awd car in for one granted it’s a different level of car than yours. Like the other poster said if you can afford to keep both do it. If you decide in 6 months you still like the zl1 more sell the m3 privately you will get more money that way more than likely anyways
Old 08-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
Spykexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZL1 View Post
Regarding more power unless you modded the m3 isn’t it around 500 versus 650hp? Awd cars are a totally different experience than a front engine rwd car. Personally I am trading my awd car in for one granted it’s a different level of car than yours. Like the other poster said if you can afford to keep both do it. If you decide in 6 months you still like the zl1 more sell the m3 privately you will get more money that way more than likely anyways
A few things, you have to take into account the zl1 does not Dyno at 650. That's at the crank. Whereas the M3 is dynoing around 500 highly underrated from the factory as per usual with BMW. But mine is not stock. Should be somewhere in the 620~ range running E. $700 to push over 600 awhp in the new competition. Running 10s stock.

While that would be ideal to have both, I have no need in having either one sitting around. It purely exists as a weekend car. Can't drive them both at the same time unfortunately lol
Old 08-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #9
JustinZL1

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykexx View Post
A few things, you have to take into account the zl1 does not Dyno at 650. That's at the crank. Whereas the M3 is dynoing around 500 highly underrated from the factory as per usual with BMW. But mine is not stock. Should be somewhere in the 620~ range running E. $700 to push over 600 awhp in the new competition. Running 10s stock.

While that would be ideal to have both, I have no need in having either one sitting around. It purely exists as a weekend car. Can't drive them both at the same time unfortunately lol
I was just saying from stock numbers I wasn’t saying those are dyno numbers. Sounds like you are already not okay with your choice to do this trade. I would advise you renting a zl1 for a week and then make the call yourself. Less of a financial hit if you like the m3 more
Old 08-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Flash tuned the M3 is probably an easy 700 rwhp but yeah it's kind of a sterile experience. What do you think it would sell for?

I was thinking about a 2023 M2 - think it will be a little more fun, the M3/4 is too big.

Nothing really beats the sound and fury of an LT4, but the ZL1 isn't exactly nimble (it handles well though)
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #11
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Having had two ZL1s and a 21 Hellcat, I can say I would be bored with an AWD car like that, that you can just stab and run the number.

I have always seen this hobby as a work in progress. My process is get new car and immediately take it to the track bone stock. See what it would run, then add a DR to the mix and see what a stone stock car is capable of.

Then start modding with the intent that I will be taking steps to getting fast. I dont need to have the fastest racecar on the street. But something that makes me giggle when I stab it.

And the ZL1 does that. Its like driving a rollercoaster. Its also a stab it and go car, but thats with all the TC on. Turn that off and you are fighting traction, and the car wanting to drift, its a blast to drive.

Then turn back on the track/PTM modes and the car will literally drive it self with no help from you. Its such a multi-personality car. With everything on you can just stay on the gas around corners or from a dig and the car just sorts it all out.

Then with it all off, the car wants to kill you as quick as possible. Which is what the hellcat did all the time nannys on or off.

The ZL1 might not be the most powerful car anymore in its class but it does everything way above average. I think you will love it. You will get the same refinement but the car is still raw as hell and challenging to drive but only when you want it that way.

I say do it. It only money.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #12
Spykexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Flash tuned the M3 is probably an easy 700 rwhp but yeah it's kind of a sterile experience. What do you think it would sell for?

I was thinking about a 2023 M2 - think it will be a little more fun, the M3/4 is too big.

Nothing really beats the sound and fury of an LT4, but the ZL1 isn't exactly nimble (it handles well though)
Very sterile. Very numb. Also, M3 isn't nimble either, they are now over 4,000 pounds in AWD. While it manages it's weight well, it's still a large sedan, nearly charger size. Don't even get me started on the sound of the M3.

I had also considered waiting for the new M2. But my wife got rid of her 2022 M240i, which it will be built off, and I am NOT a fan of the look. Never was a fan, and just don't think I could overlook it lol.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #13
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
The new M2 should look better than the M240i, and it's RWD. It will never sound as good as an LT4 of course
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #14
Spykexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
The new M2 should look better than the M240i, and it's RWD. It will never sound as good as an LT4 of course
Same body. Rear is nearly identical. Front a little different, but still looks like a sloth but square instead of triangle. Meh, no thanks lol