Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2022, 12:04 PM   #15
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I'm about to install an MSD for the first time. Is the MSD supposed to bring that fitting or is that something that came from the stock IM and transferred to the MSD.
You simply re-use the OE booster line into the MSD. The easiest way I found was to trace the booster line by hand around the stock IM and you'll see it just comes around the right side of the engine and intersects with another vacuum line just inside the driver's side shock tower.

There is a fairly simple rectangle shaped grey button to depress and release the line there. Then you don't have to muck about trying to release the booster line behind the IM. When you have the OE IM ready to remove, slide the IM and booster line off the engine as one (don't drop anything into the motor dude!).

Follow MSD excellent install instructions- I refer to page 4, figure 6 and 7 that shows you how to release the the booster line from the back of the OE IM at your leisure and comfort on a bench. This is where too many guys get frustrated and rip the line out cuz its pretty much inaccessible back behind the engine when it's still installed.

Re-install the line on the MSD before placing it on the engine and then (after following MSD's instructs of putting a little 0-ring lubricant on the ends), and when the MSD is all lined up, simply click that booster line back together at the intersection beside the driver's side shock tower.

Continue to closely follow MSD's instructs for sequentially torquing down all retaining bolts with blue Loktite. Re-torque all again after 1,000 miles. This is the other reason for the common complaint about leaks- IMHO, they didn't follow the instructs, or tried to go cheap and didn't replace the port seals when needed, or lost track of their sequence/skipped a bolt or two, who knows. But you gotta pay attention! And of course, get a good inch/lb torque wrench.

Good luck and remember to have fun!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:08 AM   #16
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
if i recall, the msd has the fitting installed already, waiting to accept your factory brake booster line.

be warned: once you connect your stock line to the msd fitting, it isn't coming apart again. i simply bought another line from gm to keep around in the event i need to swap the msd.

although the LT2 manifold i have sitting around also has a brake booster line stuck in it.
I bought a used MSD in good shape, but it didn't come with the line so I'm hoping everything back there is good to go. I plan on buying a 2nd line to install and just leave the stock on on the stock IM, or atleast to have as a backup if the original gives me a fight coming out.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:15 AM   #17
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
You simply re-use the OE booster line into the MSD. The easiest way I found was to trace the booster line by hand around the stock IM and you'll see it just comes around the right side of the engine and intersects with another vacuum line just inside the driver's side shock tower.

There is a fairly simple rectangle shaped grey button to depress and release the line there. Then you don't have to muck about trying to release the booster line behind the IM. When you have the OE IM ready to remove, slide the IM and booster line off the engine as one (don't drop anything into the motor dude!).

Follow MSD excellent install instructions- I refer to page 4, figure 6 and 7 that shows you how to release the the booster line from the back of the OE IM at your leisure and comfort on a bench. This is where too many guys get frustrated and rip the line out cuz its pretty much inaccessible back behind the engine when it's still installed.

Re-install the line on the MSD before placing it on the engine and then (after following MSD's instructs of putting a little 0-ring lubricant on the ends), and when the MSD is all lined up, simply click that booster line back together at the intersection beside the driver's side shock tower.

Continue to closely follow MSD's instructs for sequentially torquing down all retaining bolts with blue Loktite. Re-torque all again after 1,000 miles. This is the other reason for the common complaint about leaks- IMHO, they didn't follow the instructs, or tried to go cheap and didn't replace the port seals when needed, or lost track of their sequence/skipped a bolt or two, who knows. But you gotta pay attention! And of course, get a good inch/lb torque wrench.

Thanks man, solid right up. Seems a lot of people don't follow the sequence and or have leaking issues from not using loctite or retorquing after some mileage.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post

The rectangle grey button. I am trying to release my BB line but when I depress the grey button, nothing is budging and this stuff feels like brittle plastic and I don't want to apply too much pressure and break something. Are you suppose to depress it on both sides (top and bottom) or just the top? How do you get it off while it is depressed?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #19
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
n/m, I figured it out. You press the button in while holding the connector in place and pulling the opposite hose out of the connector.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #20
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
n/m, I figured it out. You press the button in while holding the connector in place and pulling the opposite hose out of the connector.
Great job- sorry been outta town without internet access.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote