#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #15
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I would do a proper alignment on it and bet the car will feel conpletely different balance wise. Sometimes, these cars come with screwed up specs from the factory (uneven side to side etc), besides - and for certain - not with settings even remotely agreeable for track duty.

Surprised to hear you left it in full auto, seemed to me you were downshifting manually, just shows how imperfect judgement can be from a vid. Id leave it in auto on a cool down lap as well. Regardless of low speeds lagging a motor at 1000rpm in 6th gear is never a good idea. Id let it do what the computer thinks is best. Imo.

Yes, PTM Race should give you a bit more freedom on exits, but require you to manage any additional overslip if and when it happens.

Overall a good lap and you push it pretty good
There is a great vid from Racers360 on this track, corner by corner if you think you could benefit from a bit of advice from the pros. And who wouldn't right?

I can certainly see buck 47s (or better) out of this car on G3Rs.
Just do NOT rush it under any circumstances as the car is a beast!!! Cheers!
Thanks mate, I think I wait with the alignment until I do the rear cradle bushings, which might be over next winter. My tires are wearing pretty much perfectly, then again, the surface at Heartland Park is very good with tires.

I usually run all AUTO, but in this specific session I was waiting for a friend in a Mustang to use the last lap to show the line. I did not want to go slow and rev 5000rpms in a low gear, so switched to manual.

The car was on 3R tires, I don't think that I can go 3secs faster, but the car might be capable of doing that.

Racers 360 sounds very interesting, but seems pretty expensive, all I need at the moment would be the Heartland instructions. For sure I could benefit from the pros!!!
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #16
cirpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Just on alignment issue my 1LE was toed way out and I couldn't tell it until I replaced my SC3s and saw it on the inside edge of the tires. About 15K miles. I would piggy back with others that the factory alignment work may not be what you think it is.

Hello too from Kansas City as well. @cirpower
Hi, nice to meet you, do you track as well? Do you know a good shop for alignment in KC?
Old 06-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #17
cirpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546300

The job is painful, but I did it alone and on jack stands with hand tools and a torch. Only time I needed help was from wifey to align factory exhaust back together. I didn’t plan to do the job this soon, until COVID cancelled my HPDE schedule and bought me some free time. The biggest on track difference for me after the mod was on corner entry- the car didn’t ‘take a set’ before the turn, and in corner exit it was far easier to detect wheel spin, since the cradle slop can feel like wheel spin.

But the other posters in this thread are spot on and have given great advice, which I’d probably start with. Maximize alignment and re-assess.
Thanks, I wonder how much of a difference there is between the BMR items and the genuine GM ones. For sure BMR is much easier to fit. In general I feel I probably need another trackday with sorted out brakes first and then go from there. Seems like I need to invest in a tool to auto bleed the ABS .
Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
cirpower

Quote:
Well, i think there is a difference between A10 and A8 isnt it? Which car did ya see overheat? A Vette or a Camaro?

Agree the pros drive hero laps, but the Ring lap is pretty long and when ZL1 first came out GM pros were giving rides to media all day long...

I have not seen a single post of A10 overheating, but maybe ive missed it? Who knows. I am FAR from perfect, ya know
I did run my car all day in Auto (with one small exception) and had no issues at all. It was 80 degrees outside.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #19
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Thanks mate, I think I wait with the alignment until I do the rear cradle bushings, which might be over next winter. My tires are wearing pretty much perfectly, then again, the surface at Heartland Park is very good with tires.

I usually run all AUTO, but in this specific session I was waiting for a friend in a Mustang to use the last lap to show the line. I did not want to go slow and rev 5000rpms in a low gear, so switched to manual.

The car was on 3R tires, I don't think that I can go 3secs faster, but the car might be capable of doing that.

Racers 360 sounds very interesting, but seems pretty expensive, all I need at the moment would be the Heartland instructions. For sure I could benefit from the pros!!!
If you intend on tracking the car more this summer, i would defo do a proper track alignment, rear bushings or not. Camber is not just about tire wear, but handling.
You proly have about 1.2 all around with gods know what toe. I can guarantee you will feel the difference

Racers360 is about $100 for pro analysis of your session. So not much $ for great feedback. But, here is a freebie, hope the link comes thru ok. Of course track specific instruction with somebody real good running shotgun will always deliver more pace. Cheers!

https://timetrials.scca.com/location...torsports-park
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #20
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Well, i think there is a difference between A10 and A8 isnt it? Which car did ya see overheat? A Vette or a Camaro?

Agree the pros drive hero laps, but the Ring lap is pretty long and when ZL1 first came out GM pros were giving rides to media all day long...

I have not seen a single post of A10 overheating, but maybe ive missed it? Who knows. I am FAR from perfect, ya know
Correct on A8 vs A10, i probably shouldn't have brought that into this thread, but since i did. The car that overheated its transmission was a 2016 A8 Z06 in auto mode. I think i only recall one or 2 overheating A10 posts and i think those were related to fluid overfill and foaming or something.

Quote:
If you intend on tracking the car more this summer, i would defo do a proper track alignment, rear bushings or not. Camber is not just about tire wear, but handling.
You proly have about 1.2 all around with gods know what toe. I can guarantee you will feel the difference
This, get a track alignment. Your tires will thank you and you will feel it.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #21
cirpower

Quote:

Racers360 is about $100 for pro analysis of your session. So not much $ for great feedback. But, here is a freebie, hope the link comes thru ok. Of course track specific instruction with somebody real good running shotgun will always deliver more pace. Cheers!

https://timetrials.scca.com/location...torsports-park
Thanks so much TC! Yeah, I might have to bite the bullet and have the car aligned. I am just worried that adding camber will eat my front tires on the inside and now it is pretty much perfect.

That Racers 360 video is great, thank you so much for it!!!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks so much TC! Yeah, I might have to bite the bullet and have the car aligned. I am just worried that adding camber will eat my front tires on the inside and now it is pretty much perfect.

That Racers 360 video is great, thank you so much for it!!!
My pleasure! I thought you'd like it
Many more freebies on their YouTube channel as well btw.

You push the car pretty good and G3Rs dont last long for anyone (seems 4 days is max for the fronts including rotation L to R and in many cases they cord faster), so it would be almost unreal if you didnt get any wear on yours, especially with factory specs which usually are all over the place and in theory should cause much wear on the outside. HOWEVER, i am aware of at least one car, which already had a full track alignment according to GM specs - done by a dealer - as part of the delivery process...So, maybe you already have it on your car?!
Old 06-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #23
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Hi, nice to meet you, do you track as well? Do you know a good shop for alignment in KC?
I used my local good year tire center they did ok work and got me in the green but if I had more specific needs like track use I'd look elsewhere and that's where I'm kind of stuck right now. It's enough that I've looked in to doing a home alignment because I lack a even semi-custom shop that is willing to do a little more than put it in the green.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #24
cirpower

That is how the front right tire looks after one full day of running at the track:
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #25
cirpower

Quote:
My pleasure! I thought you'd like it
Many more freebies on their YouTube channel as well btw.

You push the car pretty good and G3Rs dont last long for anyone (seems 4 days is max for the fronts including rotation L to R and in many cases they cord faster), so it would be almost unreal if you didnt get any wear on yours, especially with factory specs which usually are all over the place and in theory should cause much wear on the outside. HOWEVER, i am aware of at least one car, which already had a full track alignment according to GM specs - done by a dealer - as part of the delivery process...So, maybe you already have it on your car?!
I think it might the the asphalt surface at Heartland Topeka which is known to be very friendly to tires? I hope you agree with me looking at my front right tire, it does not need more camber? This is the tire that is the most used, the others basically look like new.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
TrackClub

Quote:
I think it might the the asphalt surface at Heartland Topeka which is known to be very friendly to tires? I hope you agree with me looking at my front right tire, it does not need more camber? This is the tire that is the most used, the others basically look like new.
Yep, completely agree: looks brand new! Have you checked the inside on both L and R?

Also agree the quality of pavement plays a big role.
Still, i would check the alignemnt for the sake of maximizing the handling. That's a very easy job at any dealer. At least you'd know if there are any irregularities like toe that could affect the handling. I am gonna bet the specs are not equal side to side
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #27
cirpower

Quote:
Yep, completely agree: looks brand new! Have you checked the inside on both L and R?

Also agree the quality of pavement plays a big role.
Still, i would check the alignemnt for the sake of maximizing the handling. That's a very easy job at any dealer. At least you'd know if there are any irregularities like toe that could affect the handling. I am gonna bet the specs are not equal side to side
Yes, inside looks barely used on both tires.

I will have it checked out and if necessary adjusted to the Track settings.

Really appreciate your help and feedback!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #28
TrackClub

Quote:
Yes, inside looks barely used on both tires.

I will have it checked out and if necessary adjusted to the Track settings.

Really appreciate your help and feedback!
Well, that's remarkable! If that's your home track you are extremely lucky

PS glad to be of help from my expert armchair lol!