Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
If there are good deals on new ones, might as well spend the extra few thousand. Its only money
There are some good deals, but most of the dealers are holding on to the notion that people are banging down their doors to buy them and don't want to sell below MSRP. It's kind of ridiculous that sales numbers dropped 7% in Q1 and that was driven predominantly by the figurative "cliff" that they fell off of in March.

I think it's hilarious that dealerships refuse to admit that they need to sell their stock while they can and dropping the price for a serious buyer is how to do it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #30
Cyrus

Drives: 50th 2SS
Agreed the used stock of low and I'm in Canada. I've been looking for a 2016-2018 S22 coupe with MRC, NPP and not black for the past 2-3 months. Dealerships have absolutely nothing. Toronto and Montreal areas have a few but FA in the Ottawa area. I'm trying to be patient but summer is passing by. Problem mostly is Covid I'd say. You'd think more people would be unloading their cars with all the job loses but thats not happening yet.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriorSS View Post
Agreed the used stock of low and I'm in Canada. I've been looking for a 2016-2018 S22 coupe with MRC, NPP and not black for the past 2-3 months. Dealerships have absolutely nothing. Toronto and Montreal areas have a few but FA in the Ottawa area. I'm trying to be patient but summer is passing by. Problem mostly is Covid I'd say. You'd think more people would be unloading their cars with all the job loses but thats not happening yet.
There isn't a used market if new cars aren't selling... And sales are off quite a bit for new ones.

Add to that the fact that there are simply fewer convertibles and it is pretty easy to see why it's hard to find much of anything right now. Here's some stats:

Total new inventory of 2020 models: 1754. Convertibles: 333.
Used inventory total (estimates of all Gen 6): 3500. Convertibles: 1000.

Strike #1 - Convertibles represent a bit less than 20% of total new inventory and about 30% of used inventory.

Strike #2 - Adding -any- options quickly dwindles the list. Of 1000 used 'verts, only about 100 of them have Navigation. Only about 300 have memory seats. Only about 150 of them are in the 2SS trim (accounting for half of the ones with memory seats).

This is across the US, too... Not just in one small area. It's quite simple to see that there is a supply problem and that's exactly why dealers are holding on to what they have and/or getting people to pay on the high end of book values.

As for people unloading their cars due to job loss... In the US, there are various stimulus programs and assistance packages that help people to either defer or completely remove certain financial obligations like a mortgage payment. For right now, anyhow, I believe that is helping people to hold off on having to sell their cars. As far as repossession, that would seemingly also be "on hold" since so many of the entities involved in the logistics aren't covering those tasks right now. Once things can return to a more typical way of life and offices and such open back up to [mostly] full capacity, there will possibly be a glut in the used car market as repossession is going to be something that will ramp up.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #32
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
On the new front, no dealers seem to be willing to come off their advertised sale price on Z’s or ZLE’s. Makes sense I guess with inventories low...

The used front seems completely nutz. Several bright yellow cars are out there with less than 300miles. Most sellers (dealer or otherwise) are insisting on close to what the market was bringing when they were new- and well north of KBB/ edmunds retail range! Many of those were probably hertz cars purchased at steep discounts.

What a joke. They can keep collecting as far as I’m concerned. Seems like there are never any deals due to all the cars being passed through dealer auction network...
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldawg View Post
On the new front, no dealers seem to be willing to come off their advertised sale price on Z’s or ZLE’s. Makes sense I guess with inventories low...

The used front seems completely nutz. Several bright yellow cars are out there with less than 300miles. Most sellers (dealer or otherwise) are insisting on close to what the market was bringing when they were new- and well north of KBB/ edmunds retail range! Many of those were probably hertz cars purchased at steep discounts.

What a joke. They can keep collecting as far as I’m concerned. Seems like there are never any deals due to all the cars being passed through dealer auction network...
Auctions haven't been running... Not sure if any of them have opened back up yet or not.

One of the used cars I reached out to a dealer about was being brought halfway across the country to their lot and they bought it from a private seller. With what the dealers are insisting on getting for used cars, and the fact that the auctions weren't an option, maybe it's time some folks sell their cars to dealers as they could get better money for them now.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #34
Cyrus

I feel the longer I hold out the greater chance I'll be rewarded with the car I want at a good price but its a bit frustrating to say the least. Today I saw four Camaro's in my small town when I was out doing some running around, didn't make it any easier. First world problems eh..
Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #35
cooldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Auctions haven't been running... Not sure if any of them have opened back up yet or not.

One of the used cars I reached out to a dealer about was being brought halfway across the country to their lot and they bought it from a private seller. With what the dealers are insisting on getting for used cars, and the fact that the auctions weren't an option, maybe it's time some folks sell their cars to dealers as they could get better money for them now.
Interesting, I figured the dealer auctions were going... It would be nice if GM would do something along the lines of power dollars. Not holding my breath, though. At this rate, I’ll probably buy a classic Chevy or a new hellcat.

The local Dodge dealer ordered what I want without even making a deposit. He’s betting I’ll jump when that beast arrives, and he’s probably right. If not, he’ll sell it to somebody else with that rebate.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Interesting, I figured the dealer auctions were going... It would be nice if GM would do something along the lines of power dollars. Not holding my breath, though. At this rate, I’ll probably buy a classic Chevy or a new hellcat.

The local Dodge dealer ordered what I want without even making a deposit. He’s betting I’ll jump when that beast arrives, and he’s probably right. If not, he’ll sell it to somebody else with that rebate.
The only thing I've learned about orders is that GM has guaranteed that whatever rebates were in place when the car was "supposed to arrive" will be guaranteed whenever it gets there. At this point, I think that mostly means $1500 cash which is still in place now.

I wouldn't expect much from GM unless the economy continues slogging downward. Then, you might see 0% on the current models.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #37
cooldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The only thing I've learned about orders is that GM has guaranteed that whatever rebates were in place when the car was "supposed to arrive" will be guaranteed whenever it gets there. At this point, I think that mostly means $1500 cash which is still in place now.

I wouldn't expect much from GM unless the economy continues slogging downward. Then, you might see 0% on the current models.
I’ve received that assurance in writing from dodge. I’ve spoken to a few GM dealers. In every case I was told I would receive whatever incentives that are active when the car arrives. Not much of a gamble at least given the incentive on a Z is roughly 2%...

I prefer the Camaro. It’s a more modern platform. It handles better and until I bought my RAM I’d always been a Chevy guy. But,,, hard to go wrong with Challenger as well. My wife is all-in on the laguna leather and cabin space. My favorite aspect of challenger is all the choice involved. But their dealer network is the worst. Buyer beware when choosing a dealer. I’ll probably end up in a Challenger because I have a motivated, responsive dealer with a significant factory incentive.

Sorry didn’t intend to hijack the thread.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #38
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:

I think dealers are banking on higher demand for sports cars since its the beginning of summer and they are banking on waves of people looking for a new toy. The delta between used and new in my area, at least for ZL1s, is so small that it's hard to justify used. If you can hold out until September, October, November, dealers may be more flexible since they may not want that car to sit around until April.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #39
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I think dealers are banking on higher demand for sports cars since its the beginning of summer and they are banking on waves of people looking for a new toy. The delta between used and new in my area, at least for ZL1s, is so small that it's hard to justify used. If you can hold out until September, October, November, dealers may be more flexible since they may not want that car to sit around until April.
Maybe... But they (dealerships) may also be deferring 2021 allocation unless they can move the current stock. Or, GM may not be able to build and ship a significant amount of stock "soon".

Just too many variables and why I opted to take an "ok" deal on a car that came really, really close to what I wanted instead of insisting on holding out for the perfect car and deal to come along.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #40
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post

Ya availability and the deals will be so much better come the fall. The question is can I hold out that long
Old 06-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #41
cooldawg

I agree. Timing regarding the driving season is not good. That’s probably the largest influence. And agree it is very difficult to be patient...

It’s a luxury item. Going to keep the car forever, so I’ll wait it out... If the Rally Green cars sell, I’ll go back to black. I like the orange as well. Or maybe they’ll bring back bright yellow!