Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #85
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
You know, I do have a question...

Has anyone took the Carmax, Vroom, Etc.. up on their offer? I just wonder if they do not come back and say

"100 off for this scratch, 500 off for this ding, 500 off because the tires," so really we are not giving you 45K but 42K or whatever.

How sneaky is it, or is it legit?

I've known people in the past that have used various ones, and they have said it was pretty legit. None of them have had their final offer change.If you lie about the condition of your car, then they'll probably nickle and dime you.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #86
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I've known people in the past that have used various ones, and they have said it was pretty legit. None of them have had their final offer change.If you lie about the condition of your car, then they'll probably nickle and dime you.
I've sold to Carvana before and it went exactly as they said it would, but I actually drove the car to their "vending machine" place, and took an Uber home with a check in my hand. There wasn't really anything on the car for them to bitch about, though. It was like-new with about 10K miles on it.

It's probably harder if you let them take the car away from your house, but I would think that if they tried to haggle with you afterwards, you could do all sorts of things to make life hard for them, such as demanding they bring it back, or reporting it stolen, or telling the bank they stole it and not to give them the title (if there's a lien). Unless they make you sign something that says they get to just dictate the final price.

I'm sort of tempted to sell my car to Vroom; I've got a pretty handsome offer that's a couple grand higher than what I paid for it a few months ago. I'm sort of feeling the call back to a Tesla, but not quite strongly enough for this to be an obvious no-brainer.

Like, I like the Camaro a lot, but I don't really need it, and making a profit for having owned it for a few months is obviously hard to turn down. Still, I'd be bummed to see it go.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #87
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
I've sold to Carvana before and it went exactly as they said it would, but I actually drove the car to their "vending machine" place, and took an Uber home with a check in my hand. There wasn't really anything on the car for them to bitch about, though. It was like-new with about 10K miles on it.

It's probably harder if you let them take the car away from your house, but I would think that if they tried to haggle with you afterwards, you could do all sorts of things to make life hard for them, such as demanding they bring it back, or reporting it stolen, or telling the bank they stole it and not to give them the title (if there's a lien). Unless they make you sign something that says they get to just dictate the final price.

I'm sort of tempted to sell my car to Vroom; I've got a pretty handsome offer that's a couple grand higher than what I paid for it a few months ago. I'm sort of feeling the call back to a Tesla, but not quite strongly enough for this to be an obvious no-brainer.

Like, I like the Camaro a lot, but I don't really need it, and making a profit for having owned it for a few months is obviously hard to turn down. Still, I'd be bummed to see it go.
I hear ya. It gets to a point where you almost have no choice, if you look at things logically. This market is absolutely insane.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #88
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post

The only way you'll be up with how the market is would be if you don't overpay on the Camaro's replacement, or if you can just sell the Camaro and not replace it with anything. There's also the consideration of dealer fees and registration that many people don't take into account.

I've been offered just over what I paid almost 1.5 years ago on the car before Tax Title and Tag. Then I also spent thousands on wheels/tires for the car that I haven't gotten all the use out of yet. Then when I look at what's for sale, anything I'd want I'd also have to overpay for, so then I'm dramatically upside-down when the market goes back to down.

There's a similar thing going on with the hours market. The prices have shot up, but most people can't afford the house they're currently in, so they don't sell. Even with the extra equity they have from the crazy market, they have to downgrade if they were to move.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #89
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
The only way you'll be up with how the market is would be if you don't overpay on the Camaro's replacement, or if you can just sell the Camaro and not replace it with anything. There's also the consideration of dealer fees and registration that many people don't take into account.
If I didn't have to fly to the east coast the next day, there's a good chance I would have given my Camaro to Carmax, taken the positive equity and gotten a Kia Forte GT. Smaller car since I mostly around town driving. I already received an OTD price that would cost me zero out of pocket. I would have pocketed $500.

But had to fly out for family issues and didn't have the 4 hrs to wait around at Carmax for the check.

So still have Camaro in transport mode...lol
Old 05-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #90
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:

I've been offered just over what I paid almost 1.5 years ago on the car before Tax Title and Tag. Then I also spent thousands on wheels/tires for the car that I haven't gotten all the use out of yet. Then when I look at what's for sale, anything I'd want I'd also have to overpay for, so then I'm dramatically upside-down when the market goes back to down.

There's a similar thing going on with the hours market. The prices have shot up, but most people can't afford the house they're currently in, so they don't sell. Even with the extra equity they have from the crazy market, they have to downgrade if they were to move.
All valid. I didn't pay much in taxes and fees when I bought this car, because I had a trade that was worth almost as much as the new car, but you're not wrong in general. In my case, it looks like I'd still be at least a few hundred bucks ahead if I sold, even accounting for all the fees and taxes.

The plan I was sort of tacitly considering was to just not replace the Camaro with anything right now (as I said, I don't need this car), and buy something else at some point in the future, when conditions are more favorable.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #91
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
If I didn't have to fly to the east coast the next day, there's a good chance I would have given my Camaro to Carmax, taken the positive equity and gotten a Kia Forte GT. Smaller car since I mostly around town driving. I already received an OTD price that would cost me zero out of pocket. I would have pocketed $500.

But had to fly out for family issues and didn't have the 4 hrs to wait around at Carmax for the check.

So still have Camaro in transport mode...lol

So you want to get KIA to replace the Camaro? You can't be serious. A cheap KIA to replace a Camaro SS????
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #92
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
So you want to get KIA to replace the Camaro? You can't be serious. A cheap KIA to replace a Camaro SS????
Ignorance isn’t becoming on you. The Forte GT is the best bang for the buck around. Especially the loaded GT2 which I was quoted $23,900 OTD with everything. $26k MSRP.

I work from home, mostly drive around town anyway. ForteGT is fun little car.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #93
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Ignorance isn’t becoming on you. The Forte GT is the best bang for the buck around. Especially the loaded GT2 which I was quoted $23,900 OTD with everything. $26k MSRP.

I work from home, mostly drive around town anyway. ForteGT is fun little car.

https://www.carindigo.com/kia/forte-gt-sedan/0to60

I don't think I'd even be able to get used to driving that after owning a Camaro SS and a Coyote 5.0!

The car isn't very fast at all. That's a major downgrade. Not bashing the car but it's not a Camaro. The butt dyno will really notice.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #94
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Used car appraisals are crazy right now . I am trading my 2016 ss that I have had for around 4 years now . Every place I go to is offering me like 4-5k more than I owe on it currently . I have my Tesla already ordered . I will miss the SS but not the 2016 year model as it has been in the shop so many times thankfully I got the extended warranty when I purchased the car back in early 2017 .
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #95
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I just benefited from the crazy market with my '17 Silverado. Used the Carmax offer and was matched on a '21 Trail Boss. As tempting as it is to see what Carmax would offer on my SS/1LE, I just won't try to see what it'll be (I'm sure it'll be more than what I owe). But my 1LE has been my "happy place" when the world has gone nuts. Even if there was no pandemic; right now, I'm just not ready to be Camaro-less.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #96
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Maybe it's just part of growing up but I'm honestly thinking of the same. Just a family car now.

Responsibilities and all you know.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #97
Staves

Quote:
https://www.carindigo.com/kia/forte-gt-sedan/0to60

I don't think I'd even be able to get used to driving that after owning a Camaro SS and a Coyote 5.0!

The car isn't very fast at all. That's a major downgrade. Not bashing the car but it's not a Camaro. The butt dyno will really notice.
6.7 is hardly a slug, not to mention it's light and tossable. I rarely go WOT in my SS anyway. In addition, I will probably get another dog at some point and having 4 doors and a back seat to put him/her in is a big bonus. But by the time I make it back to west coast to see my car, prices for used will probably have gone back down, lol.

I won't suffer keeping my SS either. Just for the type of driving I do a vast majority of the time, don't really utilize the SS strengths except for the nice rumble of the exhaust.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #98
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Its not just the used car market thats up right now. Other commodities are way up as well. Our friends in DC have been printing dollars like drunken monkeys for at least 12 years and really quite a bit longer. They have really greased up the presses now. Its like an experiment to see what it actually takes to become the Weimar Republic.
The issue with the chips also adds leverage in favor of used cars if new inventories are down.
If I was bored with the Camaro and just selling it I might consider an offer but really a car is a depreciating "asset" so simply having one that is not depreciating is benefit enough for me.
If I was to sell it off and convert the equity into gold silver and lead I might feel like I made a good deal. Also if your paying off a debt and inflation goes up your payment stays the same, so your effectively paying back with less value. Providing you can still afford a payment.
Trading my car which we are enjoying for paper funny money doesnt entice me one bit.
If the inflation thing goes full blown like some nay sayers predict neither the car nor the paper is going to be of much help.
The world is in a steeply transitional phase this past 18 months. All the whacked out market observations are just evidence of the problem.
Im keeping my car and having fun until they pry it from my hands...along with a lot of other things...