Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
CAPTRS777

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE HBM 14 SALEEN 620[S]
Best way to maintain the ZL1 1LE exterior?

I love my HBM ZLE and want to take the best care of it that I can (myself). It's been about 5 years since I've owned a nice car like this and in that time it seems like all the black fire polishes, waxes, and similar have gone to wayside for a 100 variations of ceramic treatments (professionally in the 1000s) to $20 magic sealant spray bottles that cure cancer and protect all surfaces (paint, plastic, glass, exhaust, brake pads, etc).

To add to the fun the manual says not to use anything other than soap and water on any plastic, carbon fiber (spoiler and insert), and the satin hood.

What is everyone using to manage the protection and shine of ALL of the different exterior pieces of their ZLEs/1LEs? I am reading through all the exterior posts, but I am more interested in the ZLEs specifically given all the different exterior components.
CAPTRS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
PPF
Old 10-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
I like a lot of Adams and Zaino products. I'm going to use this on the painted surfaces after a good wash/clay bar to the painted surfaces. I'll just pop the hood to avoid that and mask of or be careful around the CF wing etc.

I've used Z-AIO on a lot of my/friends cars with really good results. Plus it's easy to use (twice a year) after a good clay.

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-AIO.html
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
PPF
This definitely the way to go money no object. A professional PPF with a ceramic coating over it is awesome.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
CAPTRS777

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I like a lot of Adams and Zaino products. I'm going to use this on the painted surfaces after a good wash/clay bar to the painted surfaces. I'll just pop the hood to avoid that and mask of or be careful around the CF wing etc.

I've used Z-AIO on a lot of my/friends cars with really good results. Plus it's easy to use (twice a year) after a good clay.

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-AIO.html
I'll have to look into that. Can we really not put any kind of sealant/protectant on the spoiler or hood insert? I figured they'd take a lot of hits from debris and similar.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

This car was my first car that I’ve ever had coated.
You will want to take into consideration that ceramic coating will not protect against etching from bird and bug droppings, and watermarks will etch into it as well. The coating itself is also semi-permanent; meaning in 2-5 years depending on what you buy you will have to have what is left removed, and reapplied. The coating will protect against light abrasions, but I can tell you that I had a cat jump on my car and its nails went right through the alleged 5 coats of ceramic pro 9h coating, but not through the clear.
The car did look beautiful when I received it back, but 2 years later its paint is actually in worse condition than my past cars without coating because you’re not supposed to clay it or polish it.
you get to use fallout remover on it; which I’ve tried many brands and they aren’t as anywhere near as effective as clay, and use special ceramic laced soaps, then blow dry your car instead of towel off. there is wax out now for ceramic coatings; I bought it (@ $100), and found out really quick that if you put it on thick its really hard to get it off.
if you get up on the car and look into the paint after cleaning now I can see shadows in the paint from the coating application and wear.
If the car was not coated I would be able to polish it out and based on my previous uncoated cars it would look better.
I do not think I will have another car coated in the future.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
PPF
+1
Old 10-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I put Jescar Powerlock sealant all over my car including the hood insert. No problems whatsoever and the gloss is outstanding
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Suntek Ultra or Xpel Ultimate self healing PPF will keep the paint looking perfect for many, many years.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
CAPTRS777

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
This car was my first car that I’ve ever had coated.
You will want to take into consideration that ceramic coating will not protect against etching from bird and bug droppings, and watermarks will etch into it as well. The coating itself is also semi-permanent; meaning in 2-5 years depending on what you buy you will have to have what is left removed, and reapplied. The coating will protect against light abrasions, but I can tell you that I had a cat jump on my car and its nails went right through the alleged 5 coats of ceramic pro 9h coating, but not through the clear.
The car did look beautiful when I received it back, but 2 years later its paint is actually in worse condition than my past cars without coating because you’re not supposed to clay it or polish it.
you get to use fallout remover on it; which I’ve tried many brands and they aren’t as anywhere near as effective as clay, and use special ceramic laced soaps, then blow dry your car instead of towel off. there is wax out now for ceramic coatings; I bought it (@ $100), and found out really quick that if you put it on thick its really hard to get it off.
if you get up on the car and look into the paint after cleaning now I can see shadows in the paint from the coating application and wear.
If the car was not coated I would be able to polish it out and based on my previous uncoated cars it would look better.
I do not think I will have another car coated in the future.
Dang that is good to know... I remember when I used to wash, backfire prep, backfire sealant, and simply spray "touch up" from wash to wash. Car always looked new and shined without any issues.

I am also trying to not damage the carbon fiber or satin hood. Trying to figure out how to protect it all without spending $6000+ that apparently some people are paying for PPF. That number just seems insane to me. The more I read about it the more I think it is wayyy out of my price range.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
CAPTRS777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
I put Jescar Powerlock sealant all over my car including the hood insert. No problems whatsoever and the gloss is outstanding
awesome ty! Anything we can do to protect the hood itself?

Quote:
Suntek Ultra or Xpel Ultimate self healing PPF will keep the paint looking perfect for many, many years.
I'll look more into PPF, but some of the money people are spending seem wayyy out there.

Last edited by CAPTRS777; 10-13-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #12
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTRS777 View Post
awesome ty! Anything we can do to protect the hood itself?

I'll look more into PPF, but some of the money people are spending seem wayyy out there.
I paid 1300 for PFF on the front bumper, rockers and rear quarters, and it looks great still.

They said that the front bumper is a PITA, and that was the cost driver although half of the cost was the material itself.

im not sure what it would cost to go full PFF, but that would be the most effective route.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
CAPTRS777

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
I paid 1300 for PFF on the front bumper, rockers and rear quarters, and it looks great still.

They said that the front bumper is a PITA, and that was the cost driver although half of the cost was the material itself.

im not sure what it would cost to go full PFF, but that would be the most effective route.
1300 seems reasonable indeed. I was referring to the crush thread where people were dropping 6500+ on PPF and it was nbd. I am not at that place in life yet haha.

What brand/company did you use if you dont mind me asking?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
[QUOTE=CAPTRS777;10639568]awesome ty! Anything we can do to protect the hood itself?

I’m not sure on a Satin hood. I wouldn’t spend 6k on PPF either. I’m pretty sure I could have the whole car painted for that much.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote