Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #71
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDEDE View Post
Thanks I think that is a good suggestion.

The point that I've been trying to communicate is this:

The SS "Shrinks" when driving it in a spirited manner. Have you ever noticed this. It feels nimble and toss able, it feels perfect. It does not feel special when I'm just tooling around. It feels big, heavy and boring.

I rode street bikes for years. I had to stop because I rode like a drunk teenager, I was fifty at the time.

I love my SS. I can't get over what is delivers for the money. I just drove a six cylinder Porsche Cayman. It felt like a perfect solution for me but it cost almost three times as much as my SS.

I'll keep my SS no matter what happens. It is very, very special!
And that is exactly how the car is engineered. Many folks, like me, daily drive these cars, and they are designed to do that. Like I said before, when just doing the a to b stuff, I don't want to have to 'manage' the car. But when Sunday morning comes, and I go out for my weekend drive, she's ready to pounce.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #72
DEDEDE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
And that is exactly how the car is engineered. Many folks, like me, daily drive these cars, and they are designed to do that. Like I said before, when just doing the a to b stuff, I don't want to have to 'manage' the car. But when Sunday morning comes, and I go out for my weekend drive, she's ready to pounce.
I think that you just nailed it. You guys love your cars and so do I. I already said that I would never sell it. Why would I, so I can give up this performance and get maybe 16K in my pocket.

I was thinking about my position and this is what I came up with. The power delivery is just too linear in modern cars. This is true about all cars not just the SS. I miss the feeling of a motor 'coming on cam" or the sudden burst of power after some turbo lag. It may sound stupid but it made driving around town fun. Pull off of a stop and wait until you feel that crazy surge before you make a shift. This feeling gave the car character. You didn't have to drive hard to feel it, it was always there. At speed, the power band in the SS is perfect.
DEDEDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #73
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Quote:

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow"?
That's not a fair comparison. The question would need to be:

"Is it more fun to drive a slow car SLOW than a fast car slow?"
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #74
DEDEDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
That's not a fair comparison. The question would need to be:

"Is it more fun to drive a slow car SLOW than a fast car slow?"
But you can drive a slow car fast just to get to slow. That's not for me.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #75
blackgloves

Drives: 1987 Iroc Z/28
Quote:
I think that you just nailed it. You guys love your cars and so do I. I already said that I would never sell it. Why would I, so I can give up this performance and get maybe 16K in my pocket.

I was thinking about my position and this is what I came up with. The power delivery is just too linear in modern cars. This is true about all cars not just the SS. I miss the feeling of a motor 'coming on cam" or the sudden burst of power after some turbo lag. It may sound stupid but it made driving around town fun. Pull off of a stop and wait until you feel that crazy surge before you make a shift. This feeling gave the car character. You didn't have to drive hard to feel it, it was always there. At speed, the power band in the SS is perfect.
I have $100 that says the OP will have gotten rid of his SS within 18 months

It's ok, these cars aren't for everyone and I don't think they're for you

Former:
2019 2SS (Crush)
1978 Z28
2006 SS/SC Cobalt
2001 Z28
1999 Chevy S-10 Extreme
1972 Z28
1984 Z28
blackgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #76
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
What you are expressing is how I felt about my 18 5.0 Mustang. Exactly actually. I did most of my driving around 45mph and from a driver interaction standpoint, the car was just uninspiring and blah. It did lots of things well...but it didn't seem to do them together well. There was a discontinuity about the car and especially to the road. (Wasnt a PP1 or PP2)

I feel the exact opposite about the Camaro. There are a thousand little things that it does better and it adds up to a car that is just a blast to drive. The biggest thing as someone mentioned is that it feels like your driving a go cart. And mine is NOT a 1LE. The car just feels alive and connected to the road. You feel like your a part of it.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #77
DEDEDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgloves View Post
I have $100 that says the OP will have gotten rid of his SS within 18 months

It's ok, these cars aren't for everyone and I don't think they're for you
I've driven this car for over three years, that's a record for me. It will take something very special for me give her up. I've had nothing but high praise for this car. I realized that my only criticism about the car's drivability applies to all modern cars. The SS is a keeper.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #78
blackgloves

Drives: 1987 Iroc Z/28
Quote:
I've driven this car for over three years, that's a record for me. It will take something very special for me give her up. I've had nothing but high praise for this car. I realized that my only criticism about the car's drivability applies to all modern cars. The SS is a keeper.

3 years is a personal record? I withdraw my previous bet

I now have $200 that says the OP will have traded or sold their Camaro within the next 9 months

Former:
2019 2SS (Crush)
1978 Z28
2006 SS/SC Cobalt
2001 Z28
1999 Chevy S-10 Extreme
1972 Z28
1984 Z28
blackgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #79
DEDEDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgloves View Post
3 years is a personal record? I withdraw my previous bet

I now have $200 that says the OP will have traded or sold their Camaro within the next 9 months
How much fun was your 2006 SC Cobalt. Was it a blast to drive around town?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #80
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Transformation

Quote:
Thanks I think that is a good suggestion.

The point that I've been trying to communicate is this:

The SS "Shrinks" when driving it in a spirited manner. Have you ever noticed this. It feels nimble and toss able, it feels perfect. It does not feel special when I'm just tooling around. It feels big, heavy and boring.

I rode street bikes for years. I had to stop because I rode like a drunk teenager, I was fifty at the time.

I love my SS. I can't get over what is delivers for the money. I just drove a six cylinder Porsche Cayman. It felt like a perfect solution for me but it cost almost three times as much as my SS.

I'll keep my SS no matter what happens. It is very, very special!
I know what you mean, feels like a big car when parking it, shrinks into a precise seemingly smaller car when maneuvering at speed.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #81
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I had a Miata - very fun and agile car with great balance. No power. Which is OK in that car. I ended up realizing it wasn't as fun to drive around my area of CA because of the high percentage of freeway driving we do. It's a great car on a tight twisty road, but that is 5% of my drive time. The SS is much more comfortable on the highway and is a very decent road trip car where the Miata was a 2 hour max car - beyond that you just wanted out.

But the bigger issue for me and reason I sold mine was I was just too big for it. And I'm not a big guy - 6' with 32" inseam and 200lbs. The seats fit me fine, but didn't go far enough back to give me enough leg room. The biggest problem was even with the seat all the way down my head stuck up into the wind zone above the windshield. In the Camaro convertible I'm well below the front window line and out of the wind. I can drive with top down for a 3 hour highway drive comfortably with the windows up and the windscreen in the back. So much better as a road trip car with top up or down.

Now - the Mazda is all new, so maybe the new platform has more room for us super tall 6' folks

But maybe not - you would need to try it out and give it a long enough drive to really see if you have enough leg room and determine if your head is out of the wind path.

I still prefer a V8 anyway. I don't want to drive any car near it's limit anywhere on the street - that's just dumb. I raced wheel to wheel road racing for several years and did autox / HPDE and road racing for about 15 years and through all that realized the track is the only place I want to play around with the limits of a car. But I do appreciate the grip and power of the SS around a nice freeway on-ramp or on the occasional back country road stretch or just to pass somebody quickly. Then back to boring driving - which I would rather do in a SS than in a more boring car personally!!

The new miata are nice man, I know 6 footers fit, but no-one bigger than that really. The 19s have 181 hp at like 2300 pounds, they feel quick chirp the tires on the 1 to 2 shift. Differenr aninmal than past miatas imo.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #82
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
This dual personality is perfect for me. Fun at speed and also a great long distance driver. We used to call a car like this a Gran Turismo or a GT car for sure. I have driven a number of performance cars and have found that cars that are fun to drive fast can be annoying to drive normally and live with day to day. It is just like BMWs used to be. Now they are trying to get back to that but struggling a bit. Chevy nailed it. One of the best somewhat affordable driving cars ever. I am not a fan boy.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #83
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
This dual personality is perfect for me. Fun at speed and also a great long distance driver. We used to call a car like this a Gran Turismo or a GT car for sure. I have driven a number of performance cars and have found that cars that are fun to drive fast can be annoying to drive normally and live with day to day. It is just like BMWs used to be. Now they are trying to get back to that but struggling a bit. Chevy nailed it. One of the best somewhat affordable driving cars ever. I am not a fan boy.
Lol, I agree... Chevy built a better M-car than BMW.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #84
StLCamarofan

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE M6
I had a 5th gen, and drove many 4th gens, this car feels tiny and light, all of the time. And the visibility isnt much worse, and those cars didnt have blind spot monitors and changed lanes like twin screw battleships. The exhaust is definitely a step back from long tubes and no mufflers, but you get a warranty. Just leave it in sport and don't go above 3rd gear, should make A to B wild enough