#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Stolen Zl1s how to stop

It’s getting BAD!! They target you at car shows, the store, at a restaurant, and having a garage means nothing you will eventually drive it. They tag your car with Air tags, follow you, remotely link to your key fob, and if they want it bad enuff…TOW IT!! I noo I noooo some of yaw gonna say Kill Switch or other technology.(ONSTAR BLOWS DONE EVEN MENTION THEM) Honestly just pull the starter relay fuse out when you exit the vehicle problem solved. I don’t care about a temporary CEL that goes away the second you put the fuse back in and start the car. The car WILL NOT START. I feel this better most definitely cheaper than a kill switch which basically does the same thing and you don’t have to go into any wire harnesses etc. As my last post regarding mine being stolen over 30 days ago goes, USAA IS FULL OF SHIT! There gonna wait until my settlement (very big) was done then send it to SPECIAL INVESTGATION UNIT to double check everything!!!!they wanna insure you but when its time to kick out they make you feel like your tryna scam them or some shit. Anyway just my thoughts. Watch your whip fellas these crudballs are lurking
Old 02-06-2024, 10:38 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm not on top of this topic well, but does deactivating the auto' locking on the transmitter work? I read about that somewhere.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:54 AM   #3
Big Swole
The Poe Poe

Drives: 17 911 Turbo S, 23' 2SS1LE, 06 S2K
In for responses.
2016 RAM Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel - Silver

Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:59 AM   #4
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm not on top of this topic well, but does deactivating the auto' locking on the transmitter work? I read about that somewhere.
Absolutely NO!!!
They literally sit out from of your house or wherever you are and remotely link to your fob. You can purchase faraday bags off Amazon for like 12.00 that will stop that. You have to literally put your key fob in the bag every time you exit the vehicle to stop that. Heard aluminum foil, or those aluminum cans that some candies come it.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2024, 11:06 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
Absolutely NO!!!
They literally sit out from of your house or wherever you are and remotely link to your fob. You can purchase faraday bags off Amazon for like 12.00 that will stop that. You have to literally put your key fob in the bag every time you exit the vehicle to stop that. Heard aluminum foil, or those aluminum cans that some candies come it.
Is the current convention that the fobs don't necessarily matter, because they are scanning from the car? Or - am I misunderstanding, and you are saying that disabling that feature, from the fob, doesn't do anything, and that you HAVE to use the faraday container?

Sorry - just trying to understand and protect my whip

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:17 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
This is why I never liked push button start. Keyed ignition needs to make a comeback.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:17 AM   #7
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Quote:
Is the current convention that the fobs don't necessarily matter, because they are scanning from the car? Or - am I misunderstanding, and you are saying that disabling that feature, from the fob, doesn't do anything, and that you HAVE to use the faraday container?

I’m saying that the faraday bags from Amazon supposedly stop your key fob from remotely being linked to them. They could do this simply standing outside your vehicle while your sleep, or anywhere. Start your car and leave with it. With the starter relay switch being pulled out the car not starting period.
Some people wil say use an air tag, but unfortunately if the thieve has iPhone he can locate it.

These cars are being stolen at high rates Im just tryna keep the conversation going.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:19 AM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:

There are several posts that the thieves break a window, plug into the OBD port, start the car, and drive away. All done within a few minutes. Pulling the fuse and/or relay would stop that unless they were carrying a spare. Not much you can do about tow trucks other than put some type of tracking device on the car to hopefully locate it after it is stolen. As others have mentioned, the thieves know how to disable OnStar so it is pretty useless.

Last edited by Mark114; 02-06-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:37 PM   #9
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
I’m saying that the faraday bags from Amazon supposedly stop your key fob from remotely being linked to them. They could do this simply standing outside your vehicle while your sleep, or anywhere. Start your car and leave with it. With the starter relay switch being pulled out the car not starting period.
Some people wil say use an air tag, but unfortunately if the thieve has iPhone he can locate it.

These cars are being stolen at high rates Im just tryna keep the conversation going.
I've read other posts where people claim that if you disable keyless entry, a thief cannot do a relay attack to open your door and start the car. Is this not correct? I plan to disable keyless entry on mine, plus I will be using a Faraday bag for good measure.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:47 PM   #10
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I've read other posts where people claim that if you disable keyless entry, a thief cannot do a relay attack to open your door and start the car. Is this not correct? I plan to disable keyless entry on mine, plus I will be using a Faraday bag for good measure.
If your keys are left out, they can be remotely read. I’m Not sure on the keyless entry thing but I’d be double sure rather be safe than extra sorry.
Unfortunately I work with these lil crooks in a probation center and get first hand info. I will ask about this. We all gotta work together and share information. It’s EXTREMELY HURTFUL😡😡😡😡😡😡🤬 don’t forget that won’t stop your car from being taken once they get inside. They can still start it unless you have that fuse pulled
Old 02-06-2024, 12:56 PM   #11
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I believe disabling keyless entry stops the fob from constantly transmitting which stops relay attacks, not 100% sure on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Also pages 9-10 of the 2022 manual has a way to disable RKE (remote keyless entry) so a thief would have to pop the cap off of the physical lock cylinder and pick the lock to get in without breaking a window and if they attempted to start the car using the repeater the alarm would go off.

Disabling Keyless Unlocking: With the vehicle off, press and hold lock and unlock on the RKE transmitter at the same time for approximately three seconds. The turn signal lamps will flash four times quickly to indicate access is disabled. Using any exterior handle to unlock the doors or open the trunk will cause the turn signal lamps to flash four times quickly, indicating access is disabled. If disabled, disarm the alarm system (press the unlock button on the keyfob) before starting the vehicle. Disabling Keyless Unlocking may also be configured under Vehicle Personalization 0 105.

I don't see any mention of a glass break sensor in the alarm section of the manual.
Although there definitely is other ways without the use of a relay attack, and then there’s also the age old classic car-jacking but it seems the Dodge folk are more of a target for that…

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/zzA...ibextid=xCPwDs
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:19 PM   #12
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
It is sad and infuriating to hear of the thefts. OP, hope insurance finally comes through and at least makes you whole on $.

There is another thread or two on here about solutions. I am employing 4 different items to hopefully stop a theft. Not to mention changes to my garage door.

Those other items are the farad packs (they do work really well), remote controlled starter relays (also works - you don't have to be pulling and reinstalling the starter or fuel pump relay), hiding/decoy OBD2 port, and then visual deterrents like in the ram truck picture.

Edit: Also, some are having aftermarket theft preventions installed.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:19 PM   #13
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I believe disabling keyless entry stops the fob from constantly transmitting which stops relay attacks, not 100% sure on that

Although there definitely is other ways without the use of a relay attack, and then there’s also the age old classic car-jacking but it seems the Dodge folk are more of a target for that…

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/zzA...ibextid=xCPwDs
It’s not just the Dodge folks anymore. On FB it’s Zl1 being stolen damn near every day. How they do it depends on where you live, some more violent than others. But they definitely disable onstar and the alarm in seconds. It’s someone payin these dudes to go out and steal certain cars and paying them paying them cash. Normally it’s real young dudes because they’ll get a slap on the wrist
Old 02-06-2024, 01:23 PM   #14
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
This is why I never liked push button start. Keyed ignition needs to make a comeback.

Gotta agree. What was wrong with the tried and true method of using a key in a lock cylinder like has been done for 100+ years? I guess it was just too simple effective, so someone had to make it "better".
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote