Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Modded 1LE or ZL1

I have a question for you experts. I have been looking for a new ride with a back seat. I currently looking at Camaros. I like the power of the ZL1 and it's road handling capabilities. But the price tag and the weight (and MPG) do concern me. I like the 1LE and it's road impressive track times. Most of my high performance driving is in canyons.

While there are big differences between the two, I was think a few CARB compliant mods on the 1LE would even the comparison. I could buy the ZL1 and leave it stock. HOwever, buy the 1LE with it's lighter weight. put CARB leagal shorties, Cold air intake, and ported TB. then reduce th3e weight of the 1LE by 200 lbs. This would significantly even up the power to weight ratio of the cars. Then with the 1LE we would have a lighter, NA, car for canyon cruising and country drives. But the ZL1 would have the obvious power advantage. I also have to admit, the ZL1 comes in first in all performance catagories.

So what to do. By a parctical 1LE and lightly mod it, or get the expensive heavy ZL1 which blows the competition away?

Thanks for the replies.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Piccione Performance

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs & 2014 Stingray
We've modded both for several clients at several different levels, and what you are thinking of doing to the 1LE will leave you dis-appointed with the minimal power gain. If you go 1LE put a Maggie on it (carb compliant) and have fun, otherwise do a ZL1. If you ever get the itch to up the power the ZL1's are an awesome platform to start with.
We currently have one of each in our shop for mild power upgrades.
Piccione Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Get the ZL1 if you can afford it. I did the same thing with my 12SS and ended up getting the 1LE anyway. Would do the same thing for a Z28 too, if I could afford it.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Get the ZL1 if you can afford it. I did the same thing with my 12SS and ended up getting the 1LE anyway. Would do the same thing for a Z28 too, if I could afford it.
+1
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccione Performance View Post
We've modded both for several clients at several different levels, and what you are thinking of doing to the 1LE will leave you dis-appointed with the minimal power gain. If you go 1LE put a Maggie on it (carb compliant) and have fun, otherwise do a ZL1. If you ever get the itch to up the power the ZL1's are an awesome platform to start with.
We currently have one of each in our shop for mild power upgrades.
Of course by the time a maggie is installed. The owner might as well have bought the ZL1.

Then there is the idea of keeping it simple with a NA LS3. But then all the guys I run with would be faster than me.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
69Tom

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
If money's not a huge issue, why not just wait for a Z/28? Lighter and more power. I love my 1LE, but it has more than enough power for my purposes.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
If money's not a huge issue, why not just wait for a Z/28? Lighter and more power. I love my 1LE, but it has more than enough power for my purposes.
I think because of the name, and exclusiveness, the Z/28 will be scarce and over priced. The interior will be a little stoic also. I would love to get my hands on one. But, I suspect in order to get one, the buyer will have to know somebody.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Well, let's put it this way, you can mod a 1LE and get the power to weight ratio of the ZL1, but you still don't have the brakes, the coolers, or the superior aerodynamics.

If money is an issue I'd go 1LE.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
jumpshot233

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ss 1le Summit White
the zl1 also has the magnetic ride control and you are not getting that on a 1le. I love the 1le for what I do with it. I take it on winding roads and some nice long country roads.
jumpshot233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
The maggies and whipples are stupid. Word's out...the GM LSA blower is way less expensive. LSA blowers are making 800 crank HP EASILY with supporting mods. the 1LEs even have the ZL1 fuel pump.....hint hint.

1LE+ LSA blower= ahead of ZL1 in price (especially for a 1SS). If you dont mind not having mag ride, or PTM....and a couple other things...you'll be good.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Built my blown 1LE (to include ALL performance, supporting and cosmetic mods; all parts, labor, shipping and taxes; dyno time TWICE; tuning TWICE etc), and I've still spent less on my completey loaded(2SS, RS, NAV, NPP) 1LE than I could have bought a BASE ZL1 for. WINNING
YES I wish I had the MRS and I gvae up my warranty but who cares. :P
Next spring I'll be adding lighter rotors and better brakes/fluid and that should put me @ a base ZL1 cost with a much more custom/personalized car.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Built my blown 1LE (to include ALL performance, supporting and cosmetic mods; all parts, labor, shipping and taxes; dyno time TWICE; tuning TWICE etc), and I've still spent less on my completey loaded(2SS, RS, NAV, NPP) 1LE than I could have bought a BASE ZL1 for. WINNING
YES I wish I had the MRS and I gvae up my warranty but who cares. :P
Next spring I'll be adding lighter rotors and better brakes/fluid and that should put me @ a base ZL1 cost with a much more custom/personalized car.
This man has a sick ride!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, if you want to go canyon carving I'd go with the lighter car. The LS3 has more than enough power to get you in trouble there.

You will have trouble getting rid of 200 pounds on an SS without tossing big stuff and/or spending ZL1 money. So if you want the lightest 1LE get a 1SS with NPP being the only option. This is also the fastest 1LE. Then if you want a bad boy 1le in the spirit of light, build yourself a NA bored, cammed LS3. Even with shorties, 500 rwhp is possible. Then go with 18" wheels. Don't forget to do all the bushings too. Then go hunting ZL1s.

The ZL1 is a great car, but physics are not on your side and DIY can be more fun.

+1000 on the SUKXOST 1LE. Have a look at his build journal.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
littlebuffalo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
My opinion is this: Are you going to track(road course) the car more than twice a year? If yes ZL1, if only driving on the street 1LE. the extra almost $20k can be used to do some power bolt ons and a trip or two to hawaii.
My buddy has a ZL1 with the hennessey 700 package and he is NOwhere near using that power.
What would I do: I'd get a ZL1, but I've also been doing track days for a few years and found out last weekend I need more power, I couldn't pass my buddy in his 911 during the instructor group(of course he was on nt-01's and i was stock except brake pads).
littlebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote