Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #351
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Those aren't real Lambos or Astons anyway.

As someone who witnessed, first hand about 10 years ago, a 1980s 911 owner come glaringly close to being arrested for assault on an innocent Porsche rep at the auto show because Porsche had decided to start selling SUVs, I can tell you that you may not understand where purists and enthusiasts stand.

And please do not try.

And please do not give your side of it, or your opinion, or why you think we're wrong.

You simply do not understand, never will, and it should be left at that.
Most companies no longer care about enthusiasts, look how chevy got rid of the manual transmission on the C8, even though they were engineering a drive-by-wire clutch for it. Unfortunately, we enthusiasts don't buy enough cars to make an impact anymore. Hold on to your stick shift v8, they are going the way of the dodo bird in the next couple of years.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #352
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Most companies no longer care about enthusiasts, look how chevy got rid of the manual transmission on the C8, even though they were engineering a drive-by-wire clutch for it. Unfortunately, we enthusiasts don't buy enough cars to make an impact anymore. Hold on to your stick shift v8, they are going the way of the dodo bird in the next couple of years.
I am going down fighting! My Land Yacht has a TR-6060

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #353
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i wouldnt mind an EV camaro.we need one car that is not an SUV.
IOW, don't do to the Camaro what Ford did to the Mustang.

SUV-ness needs to be kept out of sports cars, sport sedans, muscle cars, ponycars, however you want to categorize the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger segment.

Norm
Old 05-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #354
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
It's this recent borg style, 'resistance is futile, you'll be assimilated' approach through force (taxes, "emission controls", legislation) is what I and Petrol Head and so many others oppose by principle, and this is what most EV proponents, the joyful welcomers of any new robotic overlords (even in this very thread) fail to respect and/or understand.
Exactly the undertone I keep hearing.

Plausibly deniable because it generally isn't specifically framed that way, but the intended message is clear.

Norm
Old 05-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #355
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
This isn't a millennial issue seeing as how less than 13% are under the age of 30. 45% are over the age of 50 and guess what they're on board with the electric movement(both Marry Barra and Kim Brycz are in their upper 50s and are in two of the positions of power.) . All this boils down to is money and these big corporations don't get to be as big as they are by staying the same.
I'm pretty sure that today's top executives came up on the business side rather than the product side. Where product is secondary to business theory regardless of what that product might be (accompanied by the usual bland MBA-speak announcements).

Norm
Old 05-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #356
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
If GM considers Alpha a failure. It wasn't because of the Camaro V8s or sticks. It was because they upped Camaro prices; not addressing the bathtub effect on daily drive desirability. Not doing an 29" tall tire, upright windshield, 63"ish height GMC Typhoon also with base models, on Alpha, not called Camaro.

In the past, there were GM execs that wanted the Camaro on the path to being an Accord Coupe. Probably why the 4th gen has a front-drive silhouette. Also tried killing the Corvette. I have to think they would've had the LS never see the light of day.

Role-modeling the C8 is pre-mature. They have Porsche envy because they grab the borderline exotic world dollars. They'll abandon its' character to get there. Could go either way long term.

The sporty EV, styled as a Camaro, will be an EV in drag. That style would look right on the correct powertrain. But as an EV, it'll be trying too hard & look fake, and not help an EV drive any better.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #357
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
if the camaro 7th gen is an SUV,its dead to me.i will keep my 5th gen as long as possible.however if it looks anything like a 6th gen,meaning 2 door,sporty looking,decent performance at least i could look at it without hurling.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #358
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm pretty sure that today's top executives came up on the business side rather than the product side. Where product is secondary to business theory regardless of what that product might be (accompanied by the usual bland MBA-speak announcements).

Norm
For what it's worth, Mary Barra came up through Manufacturing, Mark Reuss, Product Development.

And most people that come up through the "business side" realize you need product and sales to make money.

And regardless of what I want to do in product development, I have to have a business case or as GM puts it ROIC. So Product and Business are intertwined.

Also when I hear "business side" I think people mean Finance. But "business side" can mean a whole bunch of roles.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #359
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Those aren't real Lambos or Astons anyway.

As someone who witnessed, first hand about 10 years ago, a 1980s 911 owner come glaringly close to being arrested for assault on an innocent Porsche rep at the auto show because Porsche had decided to start selling SUVs, I can tell you that you may not understand where purists and enthusiasts stand.

And please do not try.

And please do not give your side of it, or your opinion, or why you think we're wrong.

You simply do not understand, never will, and it should be left at that.
I totally understand where enthusiasts come from, I AM ONE. Am I a purist? Some would doubt it simply because I think the DCT is the best transmission and I'm not hooked on the need for a manual, although I do understand why some do. Enthusiast can have many meanings. Camaro enthusiast? Performance car enthusiast? Or car enthusiast? Purist is more specific.

Anyone on this website is an enthusiast. Purist is another discussion I think.

And the example you gave is neither, that would be a crackpot.

And you are pretty clear on one thing....you have NO idea who I am.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #360
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ford put the name on an SUV. The discussion here is a Camaro with EV propulsion rather than ICE.
The fear is that Chevrolet will follow suit. The various outlines drawn over that single platform in post #1's video link don't do a damn thing to put such fears to rest.

Quote:
... there is no reason to keep using the term appliance because it's electric. So take a Gen6 with all it's goodness and style, make it an EV and BAM it's now an appliance?
To the average person, electric motors are still more closely related to household appliances which come with a distinctly 'domesticated' flavor. The Camaro's reputation is . . . somewhat different.

Quote:
Sorry, it's "put down" word and that's all.
Calling EVs "appliances" can't be any worse than personally being called a Luddite - directly or otherwise - for being opposed to either owning an EV or watching the Camaro become one.

Quote:
I'm not buying or selling on this. I'll miss ICE when they are gone or less of a choice. But what is very true is the Camaro is on life support. NO ONE IS BUYING. So rather than die, I'd love to see GM do something outstanding with great coupe (been saying that for 6 years) and make it the performance EV of choice. I don't believe it needs an ICE to move forward.
If a great coupe makes it, not being called a Camaro wouldn't matter. If it failed, calling it a Camaro would not save it.

Norm
Old 05-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #361
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Well if Lamborghini and Aston Martin have an SUV..........

I'm kind of proud of my suv ignorance, i do my best to ignore anything suv/cross over related in the media. I unfortunately knew the Lamborghini one existed... but i didn't know or forgot this Aston Martin thing existed.... thanks Number 3
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #362
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
And you are pretty clear on one thing....you have NO idea who I am.
I know exactly your type.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #363
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
Remember when the Ford probe almost became a mustang?
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #364
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorrs View Post
Remember when the Ford probe almost became a mustang?
I do. Those are referred to as the good ole days.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote