Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #757
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The low speed follow is pretty good on the highway when you get caught up in heavy congestion. I used that on the Tesla, pretty cool just to sit there while it keeps a user defined number of car lengths between you and the car in front of you, it also auto-steers while you babysit the process.

As for the braking concern, I think you would have to get some seat time and judge for yourself. I know what you mean but in practice I haven't seen it become an issue. There is one nice safety feature on the Tesla called Obstacle Aware Acceleration, in which case if you went to slam on the accelerator mistaking it for the brake the car would actually ignore your accelerator input if there was something in front of you and then another safety feature would kick in and Automatic Emergency Brake the car.
See, if the autonomous features are reliable, then I would just rely on them.

And good that it isn't a problem for you, but you have to consider other people behind the wheel and how they might drive if they get their hands on an EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
To be clear there IS still a brake pedal to hammer when you see an obstacle.

And at least in some, the amount of regen braking you get when lifting your foot off the accelerator.

Regen isn’t there for “cool” it is simply there to collect FREE energy. And in an EV that’s just part of driving.

Personally not a huge fan of a lot of regen but it’s analog is shifting to a lower gear and slowing the car with the transmission which I do from time to time with the paddle shifters. That’s about how “one pedal” driving feels.

Try one sometime if get a chance. Not a big deal and you can adjust it in the Bolt if I recall correctly.
I get that, but in an emergency, you don't really have time to think about it, you just act. That's where the issue could come from.

And I get it's free energy, but the amount is pretty miniscule anyway. State-of-the-art regen captures, what, 8% of the energy at best. Not small, but also nothing to write home about. Remember you are on a forum where a good number of people drive a V8. That's like telling us to give a crap about gas mileage. I simply don't give a toss. EVs are already so efficient anyway, squeezing 5~10 extra miles of the range? Don't care. Changing my driving habit for mileage, well then I'd rather not drive.

I will see if I can get a chance to try one but honestly, I feel like I just don't trust it enough to adopt it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #758
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

And good that it isn't a problem for you, but you have to consider other people behind the wheel and how they might drive if they get their hands on an EV.

I get that, but in an emergency, you don't really have time to think about it, you just act. That's where the issue could come from.

And I get it's free energy, but the amount is pretty miniscule anyway. State-of-the-art regen captures, what, 8% of the energy at best. Not small, but also nothing to write home about. Remember you are on a forum where a good number of people drive a V8. That's like telling us to give a crap about gas mileage. I simply don't give a toss. EVs are already so efficient anyway, squeezing 5~10 extra miles of the range? Don't care. Changing my driving habit for mileage, well then I'd rather not drive.

I will see if I can get a chance to try one but honestly, I feel like I just don't trust it enough to adopt it.
5 to 10 miles is a big deal. In the EV world, range is like us comparing HP numbers. And how many on here would love to get an extra 5 to 10 HP.....for free.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #759
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:

After owning a Tesla Model 3 for the last two years there are a number of things I like about it but the autonomous driving features are still a long way out. Basic adaptive cruise control and auto steer with lane keeping are great but technically pretty easy to accomplish on the highway. The city street AI is a whole other story and will take years to solve. Tesla overpromises and under delivers with their "Full Self Driving" software. GM Super Cruise is just as good if not better since it is true hands free with the use of an internal camera to watch you eyes. The downside to Super Cruise is the geo-fenced limitations and not every road is mapped yet, whereas in Tesla you can use it anywhere but realistically folks use it where highways are already mapped. GM is also only offering Super Cruise on very high end vehicles that require high priced option packages. Hopefully this will change next year when they add Super Cruise to 6 more vehicles in Q1 and they said 22 vehicles by 2023.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #760
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Make it fully autonomous and mount a VR gaming chair in the backs seat. </sarcasm>
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #761
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
5 to 10 miles is a big deal. In the EV world, range is like us comparing HP numbers. And how many on here would love to get an extra 5 to 10 HP.....for free.
5 to 10 miles doesn't matter at all in daily driving where you will be back in the garage charging every night anyway before you even use a third of the battery's capacity (particularly if we are talking about a Tesla). Electricity also costs so little compared to gas.

On a road trip, then maybe, but it's not like regen helps much on highways and in an urban setting, any place that is worth checking out probably has enough charging stations for you to work with.

And your comparison to horsepower isn't the same. Modding is in general a "do it once and done" sort of deal unless we are talking about nitrous here. This is a habitual change. This is more like "accelerate slowly to get better gas mileage." Well guess what, I paid for the entire tachometer, and so I will use the whole tachometer.

That's not to mention the theory that says that you won't notice any gain under 10% of your base power if you use the horsepower analogy. So unless your car only has 50 to 100 HP to start with, then 5 to 10 HP is negligible when it comes to sensations. Same thing for that teeny mileage increase. If you have range anxiety, it's not gonna get magically better with that small amount of increase.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #762
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
If that 5 to 10 HP (or better yet, 5 to 10 ft*lbs of torque) was truly free, sure.

But if I had to make a significant change in the way I drive to get another 1% to maybe 3% out of my car's engine, it's not gonna be worth it.

Norm
Old 07-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #763
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
5 to 10 miles doesn't matter at all in daily driving where you will be back in the garage charging every night anyway before you even use a third of the battery's capacity (particularly if we are talking about a Tesla). Electricity also costs so little compared to gas.

On a road trip, then maybe, but it's not like regen helps much on highways and in an urban setting, any place that is worth checking out probably has enough charging stations for you to work with.

And your comparison to horsepower isn't the same. Modding is in general a "do it once and done" sort of deal unless we are talking about nitrous here. This is a habitual change. This is more like "accelerate slowly to get better gas mileage." Well guess what, I paid for the entire tachometer, and so I will use the whole tachometer.

That's not to mention the theory that says that you won't notice any gain under 10% of your base power if you use the horsepower analogy. So unless your car only has 50 to 100 HP to start with, then 5 to 10 HP is negligible when it comes to sensations. Same thing for that teeny mileage increase. If you have range anxiety, it's not gonna get magically better with that small amount of increase.
This is an interesting side discussion. Usually when I take my wife’s Volt, I look at the odometer and the range and calculate where the odometer should land when I’m out of range. Most times I over achieve the range using the “low” setting that emphasizes regen braking and the steering wheel paddles that increase regen braking. Sometimes, though, I’m like “I have 50 miles of range and my trip is 15 miles. I’m gonna drive it like I stole it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote