Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Anyone using Lucas Oil ATF Conditioner

Has anyone tried using a bottle of Lucas Oil's automatic transmission fluid conditioner when flushing the transmission due to shuddering? From what Lucas Oil advertises it seems like it could prolong the life of the Mobil 1 LV ATF fluid.

https://lucasoil.com/products/proble...id-conditioner
Old 08-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
the chosen one

I did a bit more research and found several negative reviews about transmission failures after people used Lucas oil products. So I decided to use Lubegard instant shudder fix and a bottle of Lubegard ATF protectant. My transmission fluid was still like new so I simply added these two products instead of doing a fluid change. This seems to have fixed the shuddering for now.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I did a bit more research and found several negative reviews about transmission failures after people used Lucas oil products. So I decided to use Lubegard instant shudder fix and a bottle of Lubegard ATF protectant. My transmission fluid was still like new so I simply added these two products instead of doing a fluid change. This seems to have fixed the shuddering for now.
Did you have the latest triple flush service? If not than Dr. Tranny’s Shudder Fixx and ATF protectant removed your shudder?

Dang! If that fixed it you may have stumbled across the pot of gold that had nothing to do with GM fluid change fiasco.

What part numbers did you purchase?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
the chosen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Did you have the latest triple flush service? If not than Dr. Tranny’s Shudder Fixx and ATF protectant removed your shudder?

Dang! If that fixed it you may have stumbled across the pot of gold that had nothing to do with GM fluid change fiasco.

What part numbers did you purchase?
I had my last flush done at the dealer in January 2019 and the fluid part number on my invoice was 19355656. I think the newer fluid came out in May but I could be wrong.

Here are the part numbers for the products I used: Lubegard shudder fix 19680, Lubegard ATF protectant 60902.

I started a new trip odometer so I can report back on the accumulated mileage with these products.

Last edited by the chosen one; 08-26-2019 at 05:09 PM.
the chosen one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I had my last flush done at the dealer in January 2019 and the fluid part number on my invoice was 19355656. I think the newer fluid came out in May but I could be wrong.

Here are the part numbers for the products I used: Lubegard shudder fix 19680, Lubegard ATF protectant 60902.

I started a new trip odometer so I can report back on the accumulated mileage with these products.
Hopefully you get great results. Thanks for the part numbers.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
the chosen one

Update: Felt slight shudder on the highway after 2100 miles. For what it takes to put the fluids in, I would recommend just changing the fluid by dropping the transmission pan.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
Trochoidal

So with some research it appears your flush was done with the old oil 19355656 (black label). The new oil part number is 19417577 (blue label).

I noticed your trans is tuned too and yet the shudder came back. Bummer!

As others have stated, this seems to be a band-aid. They should change/flush fluid and install new converters as a recall and not a TSB.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Wilka_SS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Metallic Grey 2ss
I don't use conditioners, I change the fluid. The rest is snake oil.
Wilka_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you need a flush with the new Mobil 1 LV ATF HP fluid. it requires 20qts. its not a lubrication problem. dont use additives of any kind. they are all snake oil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TSB 18-NA-355.pdf (677.0 KB, 209 views)
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
the chosen one

I ended up dropping the transmission pan and changing the fluid with the blue label Mobil 1 ATF; I got about 7 quarts of the old fluid out and put the same amount back in. I was planning to drain the trans cooler as well but I didn't see an easy way to get to it. The transmission feels great again.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:23 PM   #11
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’m gonna do the same with mine over the weekend, there’s a video on YouTube someone made that really details the process and I’ll be following that

https://youtu.be/rN22XvOz6Io
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

FWIW,

I changed mine recently, and did watch that exact video (and it was helpful).
But I did not bother pumping out the old fluid, I just dropped the pan.
If you use a large container underneath the pan it will catch all the fluid and makes it very easy to do.
I used a plastic clothing storage container that is about 24"x18"x6" in size and it was way more than big enough.
You can get them at Walmart and other places.

By allowing it to drain overnight I was able to get about 7.6 quarts out (measured carefully).
So I put a tiny bit more than that back in and it worked perfectly.
I did replace the filter and the gasket, even though the video says you can re-use the gasket.
To put it back in I used a long funnel and a piece of vinyl tubing through the engine bay.
So I only had to pour it in, not pump it in.

I used the new fluid and so far it is has been great.
But I really didn't have the shudder problem to speak of in the first place, fortunately.
I just did it as a preventative measure.

It really isn't difficult to do.
Just a bit time-consuming.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #13
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Get a Yank converter and forget the problem all together,
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, shudder, transmission, transmission fluid