Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Using an oil filter intended for a modern GM truck oil on a LT1

EDIT: Don't know why I put the word "oil" behind the word "truck" in the thread title.

I'm sure many of the old LS1 guys on here know about using the older GEN3 truck motors oil filters inplace on the LS1 filter. It is longer and gives you about 25% more filtration area. Of course it being a little longer it would protruded slightly below the oil pan but most considered it safe.

Has anyone tried running the longer truck oil filter on the LT1? Pretty sure it's just like it was on the oil GEN3 motors with the same thread and diameter, just the modern trucks filter is a little bit longer. Also the LT1 pan seems to hang farther below the bottom of the filter that it did on the old LS1 cars if my memory is working right. BTW the ACDelco PF64 actually seems to be a very nice filter especially compared to the old ACDelco filter that fit the LS1 which was a POS. I'm sure the shorter filters available for the LT1 will do the job of filtering the oil fine with regular oil/filter change intervals, but more filtering ability can't be a bad thing, and these cars have 10 quarts of oil to filter.

The main reason I'm asking is because I can bulk up on the same filters for 2 vehicles I own. My wifes 13 Taurus uses the same filters that the Silverados/Sierras use. Usually I run Baldwin filters on my vehicles. They are the same filters as Hastings, and from my understanding are supposed to be the same as Amsoil filters other than I think the Amsoil filters uses a special type of synthetic media or something like that. Still they are U.S. made filters made by CLARCOR.

Last edited by JROC; 11-29-2019 at 10:18 AM.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
GM recommends a higher by-pass pressure for the LT1. The PF64 has a by-pass pressure of 22 psi, most filters are not that high.

Even now, some cross references state the PF48 for the LT1. While it does fit and works, the PF48 by-pass pressure is lower, around 14 psi I think.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind while experimenting with oil filters.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
My Lt1 oil pressure seldom gets below 30 psi. Having a bypass of 22 or 14 seems a moot point.
The same amount of oil will be filtered or not with either filter.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
KLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
My Lt1 oil pressure seldom gets below 30 psi. Having a bypass of 22 or 14 seems a moot point.
The same amount of oil will be filtered or not with either filter.
Oil Filter Service Bulletin #17-NA-157.pdf
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
JROC
Account Suspended

IDK about the ACDelco truck filter, but the Baldwin filters I generally run both the shorter B7422 they call for the LT1, and the taller B7449 they call for the GM trucks (and my wifes Taurus) use 20 psi bypasses.

BTW what is the truck filter used on the 14+ trucks? Is it the PF63? Isn't 2014 when GM started using LT based motors in their trucks? I would think that if the LT1 is supposed to use a filter with a 22 psi bypass then so would any other N/A, LT based 6.2L.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
KLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
IDK about the ACDelco truck filter, but the Baldwin filters I generally run both the shorter B7422 they call for the LT1, and the taller B7449 they call for the GM trucks (and my wifes Taurus) use 20 psi bypasses.

BTW what is the truck filter used on the 14+ trucks? Is it the PF63? Isn't 2014 when GM started using LT based motors in their trucks? I would think that if the LT1 is supposed to use a filter with a 22 psi bypass then so would any other N/A, LT based 6.2L.
Could be, that service bulletin does mention Chevrolet and GMC trucks. I know little about GM trucks, but know that some of the GM truck engines use the PF63(E).

The PF63(E) is the about the same as the PF64, but, it is a little longer filter. And while the PF63(E) would work on a Camaro or Corvette with an LT1/LT4, it would hang down a little low, perhaps too low.

I believe the PF63(E) is similar to the Motorcraft FL500S.

Oil Filter choices are confusing and there seems to be conflicting and/or incorrect information out there. I recently noticed that O'Reilly's web site still states a PF48E is OK for my 2016 Camaro SS (along with correct filters such as the PF64), very confusing.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
overdriv

KLG, thanks for posting that bulletin. I still fail to see what the difference is going to be with both filter bypass valves open at the pressures these engines run at.

On cold starts the oil pressure goes very high very quickly. How is a 22psi bypass going to make that much difference than a filter with a 14psi bypass valve.

I guess I just don't understand how the oiling system works in a LT1. Does the oil go through the filter first, then to the engine?
Old 12-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
KLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
KLG, thanks for posting that bulletin. I still fail to see what the difference is going to be with both filter bypass valves open at the pressures these engines run at.

On cold starts the oil pressure goes very high very quickly. How is a 22psi bypass going to make that much difference than a filter with a 14psi bypass valve.

I guess I just don't understand how the oiling system works in a LT1. Does the oil go through the filter first, then to the engine?
You are welcome for that post, sharing information helps us all.

OK, I will try to answer your questions, but I am not an expert on the LT1/LT4 engines. These modern engines are a lot different than the Fords & Chevys I worked on in the 70’s and 80’s.

Yes, the oil goes through the filter first after exiting the oil pump. I believe this is typical of most automotive lubrication systems, but I won’t swear to it.

It is confusing, but engine oil pressure is not the same as the oil filter by-pass pressure. For example, assume we are using a PF64 and the oil enters the oil filter at 40 psi and exits the filter at say 35 psi, all is good, the by-pass valve has no reason to open since the pressure drop across the filter is only 5 psi. However, if oil enters the filter at 40 psi, but would exit the filter at 17 psi, then the by-pass valve would open because the pressure drop across the filter is greater than the by-pass pressure setting of 22 psi.

What GM is concerned about is that these modern engines see high oil pressure at times. So, during those conditions of high oil pressure, the pressure drop across the filter could also be high for a short time which would open the by-pass valve of an oil filter with a setting of only 15 psi. So, GM increased the oil filter by-pass spec by about 50% to the current 22 psi rating to reduce the chances of unfiltered oil going through the engine.

For most of us, the by-pass will not open, even if you elect to use a filter with a lower by-pass pressure. You need situations such as a cold start under cold conditions, high viscosity oil, flogging the vehicle immediately after a cold start, clogged oil filter, etc. And even if it does by-pass, it is probably for only a short period of time.

However, to be cautious, I prefer a filter with the correct by-pass pressure. Filters such as: AC PF64; NAPA Gold 100290; Wix WL10290xp; Fram Ultra XG12060, meet the GM by-pass specification. I am sure there are other filters that meet the specification too.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
overdriv

Thanks for the explanation. I had forgot to consider the pressure differential, was only thinking of pressure. My bad.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Looking at specs from ACDelco for PF63E and PF64, they share the same bypass pressure ( 22psi).

Height:
PF63E = 4.4"
PF64 = 3.3"

Flow Rating:
PF63E = 13.2 GPM
PF64 = 7.9 GPM
More filter media is always better, especially if comparable quality and similar construction otherwise and taller height does not present issue w ground clearance.

On uh hum paper, PF63E appears to be the better filter - if it FITS.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/

Last edited by Vtor_ZL1; 12-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
JROC
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Looking at specs from ACDelco for PF63E and PF64, they share the same bypass pressure ( 22psi).

Height:
PF63E = 4.4"
PF64 = 3.3"

Flow Rating:
PF63E = 13.2 GPM
PF64 = 7.9 GPM
More filter media is always better, especially if comparable quality and similar construction otherwise and taller height does not present issue w ground clearance.

On uh hum paper, PF63E appears to be the better filter - if it FITS.
Wow good info. This is what I was looking for. From my understanding is the PF63 is the taller truck filter and the PF64 is the shorter sports car filter that's housed in the oil pan cavity. Just like it always was comparing the oil standard thread having LS and LS based motors. The filters used in the truck based vehicles used a larger (longer) filter that was considered superior to the smaller car filters.

If it filters as well, flows noticeably better and has the same bypass pressure rating the PF63 is the better choice. Of course given it doesn't hang down so low that it may take damage. I will say the PF64's construction really impressed me. Much better than other ACDelco filters I've used.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
EDIT: Don't know why I put the word "oil" behind the word "truck" in the thread title.

I'm sure many of the old LS1 guys on here know about using the older GEN3 truck motors oil filters inplace on the LS1 filter. It is longer and gives you about 25% more filtration area. Of course it being a little longer it would protruded slightly below the oil pan but most considered it safe.

Has anyone tried running the longer truck oil filter on the LT1? Pretty sure it's just like it was on the oil GEN3 motors with the same thread and diameter, just the modern trucks filter is a little bit longer. Also the LT1 pan seems to hang farther below the bottom of the filter that it did on the old LS1 cars if my memory is working right. BTW the ACDelco PF64 actually seems to be a very nice filter especially compared to the old ACDelco filter that fit the LS1 which was a POS. I'm sure the shorter filters available for the LT1 will do the job of filtering the oil fine with regular oil/filter change intervals, but more filtering ability can't be a bad thing, and these cars have 10 quarts of oil to filter.

The main reason I'm asking is because I can bulk up on the same filters for 2 vehicles I own. My wifes 13 Taurus uses the same filters that the Silverados/Sierras use. Usually I run Baldwin filters on my vehicles. They are the same filters as Hastings, and from my understanding are supposed to be the same as Amsoil filters other than I think the Amsoil filters uses a special type of synthetic media or something like that. Still they are U.S. made filters made by CLARCOR.
go to advance and you can edit the title
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote