Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Arrow DSSV - Anyone replace the Springs?

Anybody replace the stock springs with something like Eibach?

I am thinking it will help soften the ride just a little more. Yes, I understand the ZLE is Track first / Street second however these cars need to also work on the street for it to make sense.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Interesting to see, changing spring may not do much if anything as you cannot alter the valving of the shocks.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
not sure if anybody even makes any springs for those check with eibach maybe?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
The suspension feels the way it does because of a combination of factors including springs/rates, shocks/valving and the limited use of rubber/absorbers within the suspension. The easiest thing to do would be to lower the air pressures (but this could increase wear) the best thing to do would be to replace the suspension with the regular ZL1 suspension (but this begs the question of why getting a ZL1 in the first place.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
That last phrase was "begs the question of why getting a 1LE in the first place)
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Liked the looks, not the punishing ride.

Next is for some koni or bilstein adjustables so you can dial in desired pain level and with threaded collars so you can adjust ride height and customize spring rate.

Some tracks / surfaces do better with less spring.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
Vettethret

Drives: 2023 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Anybody replace the stock springs with something like Eibach?

I am thinking it will help soften the ride just a little more. Yes, I understand the ZLE is Track first / Street second however these cars need to also work on the street for it to make sense.
I'm waiting right now for a Satin Grey 1LE with the A10 to come out to buy one and am already gathering parts. I emailed Multimatic directly and they responded with the email below. I want a change of spring to drop the car 1/2" all the way around (Not including the 10 mm you can from the factory). I also talked with GMPP and they have nothing. I also talked with Wildhammer Motorsports on a referral from Hyperco springs (I've used them on 3 Corvettes and 2 Vipers). Wildhammer told me this morning that you cannot even do a spring change on the MM Dampers (Which is new in my experience of having 8+ coil over cars). He said you would actually have to change them out completely! So from talking to 3 different sources, you cant touch the springs!

Hello Mr. Arnold,

Thank you for your inquiry on the Camaro ZL1 1LE and the suspension performance. Multimatic is not able to directly recommend any changes on your vehicle and direct you the GM Performance catalogue to see if there are alternative springs recommended for this vehicle.

Based on the development work that Chevrolet put into the ZL1 1LE, by all accounts, it is world class “as-delivered”. If you have not yet had a chance, we would recommend checking out the capabilities of the factory specified vehicle here: https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us.../0622-zl1.html

Please enjoy your Camaro ZL1 1LE vehicle with Multimatic DSSVTM dampers! Happy Driving!

All The Best,

Syblee Dinu

Multimatic Product Services NA
26475 American Dr.
Southfield, MI
United States
Tel. +1 248 359 8444

careers.multimatic.com
Vettethret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Nice canned response. It's perfect don't touch it, we can't tell you otherwise for liability reason.

*yaawn*

If we took that approach, everyone would be driving plain jane stock cars.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Lowering spring rates would effectively over-damp it, making it more harsh and risking damage due to bottom-out.

Lowering the car, usually has the effect of increasing the spring rate, because with less wheel travel, the rate needs to be higher to prevent bottom out. This is far more common, resulting in a more "bouncy" ride for those that don't care to try and match the damper to the springs after such a mod. This is why coil-overs are usually a much better bet for anyone concerned about performance, usually matched to the spring rate and often adjustable, you usually get increased quality of travel and traction and a lowered look. In many cases, unless we are talking about the stupid-low cars, going to adjustable coil-overs can significantly increase ride quality, with the same or less wheel travel than stock.

Can't think of any good solutions here, maybe some good adjustable coil-overs?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #10
Vettethret

Drives: 2023 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Nice canned response. It's perfect don't touch it, we can't tell you otherwise for liability reason.

*yaawn*

If we took that approach, everyone would be driving plain jane stock cars.
I agree, I have done many 1k Horsepower builds over the years and used Moton/Penske Coil Overs on a lot of my builds. Not having any aftermarket spring options sucks, but this a very specialized car/suspension from the factory. After talking to Gm Performance parts and the other two, the springs don't exist, I wish they did.
Vettethret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #11
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I think that would be a brilliant thing for GMPP to tackle. I would love to see some options with spring rates on that car, as well as making the standard Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires avail. for it as well.

Those 2 things and I would have chosen it over the SS 1LE.

And for the few smartasses that will comment and say , just get a ZL1 my reply is.... even if you do that, you lose not having the solid rear cradle bushings, the direct mount shocks to the frame, the dive plans / rear wing and wider wheels/tires. Also, the smartasses can keep their "if you could afford one" comments to yourselves as well. Money isn't the factor here.
Just get a ZL1 if you can afford one.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
A local kid here put his on bags.

Got crucified, for lack of a better term.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedhead View Post
A local kid here put his on bags.

Got crucified, for lack of a better term.
But I got a smoking deal on some DSSVs thanks to that kid so I'm not complaining lol

As for changing the shocks I know Peak Performance (I think that's what they are called) just released a "coilover conversion" kit for the ZR2, with 550-650lb springs and adjustable ride-height. I know it's a very different application but if it can be done there who's to say it can't be done on the ZL1 1LE???
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Just get a ZL1 if you can afford one.
Someone said it. Prepare for the wrath!
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote