Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
LSPI - who knew?

I started to dig in since this kind of caught me off guard. The exploding piston problem that, kind of isn't, depending on who you ask. Anyways instead of spamming the other thread I just wanted to throw it out there and see what people use for their oil. I've known of amsoil for a while, but also part of the reason for posting is that LSPI or SuperKnock is something to be aware of, but it seems that it can be managed. If you invest in proper maintenance. There is walnut shot peening to clean the intake valves, and choice of oils. I found this to be totally compelling so I am sharing here. Not sure about catch cans but whatever helps is probably a good idea.

Have you EVER read the small print on oil? I never did til now.

Name:  amsoil.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  129.4 KB
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Not to be an ass… no no you know what i will be all this information has been out for almost a decade. The same problems with the same setups it's not new why do we need to make it new?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
wookwook

But I didn't know. And I am guessing someone here may not have been aware in the last 10 years. I am guessing the engine is "safer" than ever because of simply googling around. But the potential for trouble is still there simply because of DI. Not to be alarmist but they don't exactly come out in the Ads that there are trade offs with power vs economy. Anyways thanks for the advise I will be sure to take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Any GM demos 1 gen2 is fine. I've been running mobil 1 full synthetic for the longest now and haven't had any issues. I'm at 53k miles and I push my car hard.
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
You must understand many companies and products feed off the consumer fear of LSPI. Not that LSPI isn't real, it is, but it should really only be in the back of your mind. It is not even close to a MAJOR problem on our cars, even with the most basic maintenance.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
wookwook

Dudes. Totally. No cause for alarm. I was just making fuel for fodder. It seems someone has an adjenda to just be contrary to like everything. I was just saying. No duh. Im a guy whos driven a truck my entire adult life
I finally at age 57 have gotten a cool awsome car and im sorry if i tend to be too. Too. Too like involved. Its been so much fun and the commjnity has been great so far.

I totally missed the ltg di intro problems. But i am experienced enough to know. Theres not as much out there as is being claimed here.

There is no aftermarket turbo info. Period. Anicdotal old tyme info just doenst cut it with me.

I kust thought it would be a consteuct talk. Lpsi defense. Oil brand quality. Oil cooler. Catxh can.

A little about me i support a major maintence engineering and reliabilty procurement effort for nuclear subs. Really.

Reliablety eningering at its core. Thats me. And so thats all. Not trying to be a wet blanket.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Dont apologize, wook. Keep it up. Helps guys like me learn a thing or two.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Good post!! This is still a pretty common issue, but Amsoil, M1, and most of the big names have changed the formulation so the oil mist is far less explosive now. But, many dealer STILL put in the cheap syn blend and that makes your engine susceptible. We have shared this for the past many years and the naysayers as usual would ignore it. Just as the intake valve coking issues. The GDI engines of today are NOT the engines of the past.

Understanding whats going on in every aspect of these engines is a must IMHO.

Thanks for sharing.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote