Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
MySS8U

Drives: Black 1SS 1LE
Another Ceramic Coating Thread.

Hey everyone, I found a shop certified to provide GTECKNIC Crystal Serum Ultra. I chose this ceramic due to its hardness because my 1LE is a daly driver and always exposed to the elements I will be getting a 2 step paint correction as well. Has anyone else had a shop provide this service? Any opinions on its shine and durability?
Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
The preparation is the key. If the shop does a great job with the paint correction, it will look great. Gtechniq is good quality product. The durability is about a year without "topping." If you top it with SiO2 wash and a sealant every few washes it will be hydrophobic indefinitely.

Ceramic is not a miracle though. It will still get water spots that will have to be polished out and ceramic reapplied if it gets any really hard water that dries on it. Ceramic is also not PPF. It will not stop scratching if anything brushes the paint. It will make the surface slicker so that things slide off that might scratch the paint when you wipe it.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I did the Crystal Serum as the base ceramic coat on my car, very nice stuff. Like Kirk mentioned, another layer is a good idea. I did the GTechniq EXO V4 as the top coat over the Crystal Serum and the EXO is more durable and hydrophobic. Makes for a fantastic 1-2 punch. Finished results were great!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
JCurry2885

Drives: Black 2018 1SS Camaro M6
I had this coating applied by Bulldog Auto Detailing in Waco a year ago. So far so good. The guy who did my paint correction does not work there anymore tho. He started his own business in Waco called CLEANT Industries. He's super good. I highly recommend him!
JCurry2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
MySS8U

I asked for exactly what you guys recommended. It pretty much lines up with all the research I've done. Im pretty excited to see the results but I gotta wait until the 23rd to get it all started.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I am a big Gtechniq fan.

I have Crystal Serum Black (predecessor of Ultra) and two coats of EXO v3 on my car. Also had PPF put on the important parts: full front, mirrors, windshield surround, lower wheel arches and rockers up to the door body line.

26 months after install, it's holding up great (pic below)!

Suggestions:
Coat the wheels and grille.
Have EXO installed, or DIY.
Dilute your favorite detailer with distilled water. I prefer 1 part reload into 5 parts water.

Here's more detail on my car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=301
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
MySS8U

So finally I was able to leave my car at the shop today. Im gonna order the cleaning products on amazon. What is everyone using to maintain the ceramic coating and which micro towels as well. Also I'm gonna get a new cabin air filter and air filter (stock) so if anyone knows those part numbers I would appriate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I had my Camaro done with Adams ceramic and they make a ceramic booster. In fact I just used it yesterday. I had a two year application and it's been over two years and it's still in great shape. My wife's car has Ceramic Pro 9h and a 5 year warranty and should last a lot longer. Hers is one year old and in great shape. I don't use any boost product on hers but they have a "sport" booster product available. I use a low nap micro for applying and a heavy nap micro for buffing out haze.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Use Carpro ech20 rinseless to keep a coated car maintained.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySS8U View Post
So finally I was able to leave my car at the shop today. Im gonna order the cleaning products on amazon. What is everyone using to maintain the ceramic coating and which micro towels as well. Also I'm gonna get a new cabin air filter and air filter (stock) so if anyone knows those part numbers I would appriate it. Thanks in advance.
Eagle edgeless 500 gram/sq-meter microfiber towels, ~$5 each at The Rag company. Get a couple 4 packs.
https://www.amazon.com/RAG-COMPANY-P.../dp/B00GXRG4L8

Guzzler waffle weave towels 20”x40” $25. If you use a leaf blower, then get 1. Otherwise get two.

Chenille wash mitt $7 and a gerbil brush $9 from Chemical guys. Mitt is for paint, gerbil for the wheel spokes, calipers, and front bumper ducts & grille.

Carpro Reload. ~$35/500ml Dilute with distilled water as instructed above, or it will streak. Optionally add 1:25 Carpro Ech20. Spray the towel, not the car, then wipe the car, rolling the towel to lift dirt up and away to avoid dragging dirt on the paint.

Variable hose nozzle, $3. Use for pooling rinse.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-20003-S.../dp/B000EDQQAQ

Battery or gas powered leaf blower for drying the car. I paid $200 for this one on sale back in March, and it’s fantastic!
https://www.amazon.com/80-Volt-Heavy.../dp/B01JH35P4Q

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #11
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySS8U View Post
Hey everyone, I found a shop certified to provide GTECKNIC Crystal Serum Ultra. I chose this ceramic due to its hardness because my 1LE is a daly driver and always exposed to the elements I will be getting a 2 step paint correction as well. Has anyone else had a shop provide this service? Any opinions on its shine and durability?
I had crystal serum ultra applied last fall on my car. While it's only been a bit under a year I am very happy with the results. It certainly wasn't cheap as even in my brand new car the paint correction and ceramic coating was very expensive, but worth it. I top it off with gtechniq liquid crystal C2v3 every few months and it's as good as it was day 1 in terms of hydrophobic properties. Car washes are also a breeze. I often just waterless wash my car now.

Some pics attached. The last 4 pics are before and after of a ride home from work after it rained on my car. Car was completely dry by the time I got home. The water just falls off. Very happy and would highly recommend if you got the $$$ for it.
Attached Images

Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
MySS8U

So today I finally got my 1LE back. Here is some pics of the results. Since the guy had 3 black pony cars a Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger he had a youtube movie made. When its published i'll share. Pretty excited my Camaro was featured in a youtube comercial. May be corny but I don't care lol. The night and day difference.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Gtechniq is a quality brand that puts out great products. They were on my radar when I was seeking certification for my own business. What separates them from the rest is there is a hefty buy-in just to be certified, and then you have to do X amount of installs a month to keep that certification. Being part time, I could not justify it.

Your car looks great. Talk to the installer if you're still unsure on what maintenance products/towels to buy to keep it nice. Enjoy those quick and easy washes!
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
After having both my truck and car ceramic coated, I am not sold on it at all. I initially thought that dirt and road grime would just spray right off. Not so. I also thought it would stay cleaner longer. Not so. I also thought that it would prevent stains from bird droppings and whatnot. Not so. I also thought it would last for a couple of years without having to keep refreshing it. Not so.

My personal conclusion on ceramics are that they are no better than wax. There's a hint of snake oil info surrounding ceramics that I have found to be misleading. There's also a great deal of placebo effect when paying a lot of money to have your paint coated. IMHO, paint correction is where 90% of the results come from, not the coatings.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote