Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #3865
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Will be interesting to see if GM executes the FPC better than Ford did(history says they will). It is bigger than Ford's version too, which correct if I am wrong, up to this point the Voodoo was the biggest production FPC ever right?

I am glad I have waited to pull the trigger. A high revving Chevy engine is exactly what I have been waiting for. I hope they put it in a platform with a manual though.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #3866
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

People have different reasons for buying these cars and it is based on ego, money, status, purpose, etc. But typically I think racers are buying the lower "Base" trims while those who want the prestige or status will buy the higher "Race" trims.
This is your best post ever. If you look through threads of people trying to decide what to buy, some guys buy the PP2 simply because its top of Mustang food chain, some guys buy the SS 1LE with 0 intention of tracking it, but love the looks and the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So, here are my thoughts after a day and a half with a GT350. A couple weeks ago I had a Bullitt. I could see the appeal but came away with that was not a car for me. The GT350 is another story altogether. Hard to believe these two have the same bones. I hated the transmission in the Bullitt. I sorta forgave it since it was a press car and who knows what it had been through. I loved the transmission in the GT350. It had 6,600 mile on the clock and I have a pretty good idea of what it’s been through, so I no longer forgive the Bullitt MT. I was very impressed with the exhaust note in the Bullitt. The exhaust note in the GT350 is ridiculous. In a good way, of course.

Acceleration in the GT350 is effortless and the handling is tight. Acceleration in the Bullitt was a little labored in my opinion and the handling wasn’t bad, but wasn’t great either. The GT350 handled like a sports car should. The Cup 2s are awesome on this car. It would be nice to drive it back-to-back with an SS 1LE. Last time I drove a GT350 it was a ‘16 and I drove it back-to-back with a ZL1. I was impressed with it but more impressed with the ZL1. Back then the suspension didn’t seem as capable, or maybe it was impacted by the difference in driving dynamics with the ZL1 which was just freaky good in that comparison. And the ‘16 was not on Cup 2s.

Things I did not like about the GT350 touch on most of the major themes that I’ve seen on threads here and on M6G.
  • I quickly developed a love / hate relationship with the Recaros. Loved the position, the way they held me in position during aggressive cornering. Hated the fact that they are not power adjustable nor heated / ventilated.
  • Prop rod. C’mon Ford. $66k car with a prop rod?
That’s pretty much it. I had forgotten about the puddle lamps until I left a rehearsal and went to get in the car. It was a giggle-worthy moment.

It was nice having almost 1,000 hp in my driveway.
Great insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameovergt View Post

your best post ever!
Agreed lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
James,

Thanks for the evaluations! It's great to hear some real world data from a professional whom we all respect.

But, as a powertrain guy, what do you think of the potential of the new C8.R's 5.5L FPC engine. It's 500HP when restricted for racing, but expected to be 600 when uncorked. What do you think? Could a 600HP 5.5L FPC be the new Z06 engine taking it back to it's N/A roots?
Man I didn't think they would do it, but they did it.

Now I an article I read from MT said they expect the Z06 version to be smaller and turbo charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Will be interesting to see if GM executes the FPC better than Ford did(history says they will). It is bigger than Ford's version too, which correct if I am wrong, up to this point the Voodoo was the biggest production FPC ever right?

I am glad I have waited to pull the trigger. A high revving Chevy engine is exactly what I have been waiting for. I hope they put it in a platform with a manual though.
The VooDoo is the biggest FPC on the market. I am wrong way more than I am right lol, I would be shocked if the production one is 5.5 and kind of shocked if they did it better than Ford. GM doesn't exactly have a ton of experience with OHC V8s

But if the MT report is wrong and it's 5.5 and NA man oh man that thing is going to scream to make 600HP. It's going to be amazing lol. I can't wait to see more details

I will be curious to see how people here view it, it's going to lack low end torque so it will be interesting to me to see how people who have been pro OHV and low end torque like it.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 10-11-2019 at 10:32 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #3867
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Now I an article I read from MT said they expect the Z06 version to be smaller and turbo charged.
I see your article with rumored smaller TT engine, and I RAISE you another article that states it will be N/A and might be bigger!

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10/...-based-engine/

Quote:
But if the MT report is wrong and it's 5.5 and NA man oh man that thing is going to scream to make 600HP. It's going to be amazing lol. I can't wait to see more details

I will be curious to see how people here view it, it's going to lack low end torque so it will be interesting to me to see how people who have been pro OHV and low end torque like it.
For a 5.5L N/A engine to make 600HP, it will have to rev to about 9,000RPMs. And yes, it will lack low end because of it.

Now, if you gave me a choice of a C8 with a LT2 (almost 500HP), or a 500HP 5.5L N/A FPC that revs to the moon, it's a no brainer, I will take the LT2 everytime.

If the choice was an LT2 (almost 500HP) or a 600HP 5.5L N/A FPC that revs to the moon, I would take the LT2 if it was more of a street car or a daily driver, but I would take the 600HP engine, if it was mostly a track car.

That's because, on a track, you will be keeping the engine in the meat of the power band, so the lack of low end won't be that noticeable. On the street it will be noticed quite often, and it's not my cup of tea for street application.

Others may feel differently, and that's fine with me. I respect other's personal preferences.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #3868
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I see your article with rumored smaller TT engine, and I RAISE you another article that states it will be N/A and might be bigger!

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10/...-based-engine/

For a 5.5L N/A engine to make 600HP, it will have to rev to about 9,000RPMs. And yes, it will lack low end because of it.

Now, if you gave me a choice of a C8 with a LT2 (almost 500HP), or a 500HP 5.5L N/A FPC that revs to the moon, it's a no brainer, I will take the LT2 everytime.

If the choice was an LT2 (almost 500HP) or a 600HP 5.5L N/A FPC that revs to the moon, I would take the LT2 if it was more of a street car or a daily driver, but I would take the 600HP engine, if it was mostly a track car.

That's because, on a track, you will be keeping the engine in the meat of the power band, so the lack of low end won't be that noticeable. On the street it will be noticed quite often, and it's not my cup of tea for street application.

Others may feel differently, and that's fine with me. I respect other's personal preferences.
Ha! Well at least now we can pretty much 100% say it will be of FPC design lol.

Man a 9k rpm screamer. The thought of that sounds so amazing
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #3869
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:

Gives me goosebumps!
Old 10-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #3870
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:

Why think about it when you can hear it. Listen to the link at the bottom.

But when you listen, listen how fast this engine gets from idle to max RPM. It's like a light switch. That's the advantage of an FPC. It has a big reduction in rotating mass in the engine because you don't need huge balance weights on the crankshaft.

BUT, BIG NOTE: The GT350 couldn't fit a dual intake system that the FPC V8 requires, so they had to use a different firing order, and most of the mass had to be added back in to the crankshaft in the Voodoo. Regardless of the power output or oil issues or whatever, the main advantage of an FPC V8 engine was NOT present in the Voodoo engine. It has a somewhat reduced mass over a cross plane crank, so while it can rev high, it can't rev high fast.

Listen to what a true FPC V8 can do in terms of going from idle to the max RPMs. It's like a lightswitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BlGLoWnHyMw
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #3871
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
The VooDoo is the biggest FPC on the market. I am wrong way more than I am right lol, I would be shocked if the production one is 5.5 and kind of shocked if they did it better than Ford. GM doesn't exactly have a ton of experience with OHC V8s
Pretty sure GM was putting out more powerful ohc v8 in the 90s than Ford was. Besides, is there really that much of a development difference between a v6 and v8 one? I won't bring up reliability because the Voodo sure isn't known for it.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #3872
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Why think about it when you can hear it. Listen to the link at the bottom.

But when you listen, listen how fast this engine gets from idle to max RPM. It's like a light switch. That's the advantage of an FPC. It has a big reduction in rotating mass in the engine because you don't need huge balance weights on the crankshaft.

BUT, BIG NOTE: The GT350 couldn't fit a dual intake system that the FPC V8 requires, so they had to use a different firing order, and most of the mass had to be added back in to the crankshaft in the Voodoo. Regardless of the power output or oil issues or whatever, the main advantage of an FPC V8 engine was NOT present in the Voodoo engine. It has a somewhat reduced mass over a cross plane crank, so while it can rev high, it can't rev high fast.

Listen to what a true FPC V8 can do in terms of going from idle to the max RPMs. It's like a lightswitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BlGLoWnHyMw
Omg you get it! Thank you lol. I am floored at how many of the 350 guys go on and on about the FPC and they didn’t get the main benefit!

Trying to rev my 350 made me feel like i had ED.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #3873
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Pretty sure GM was putting out more powerful ohc v8 in the 90s than Ford was. Besides, is there really that much of a development difference between a v6 and v8 one? I won't bring up reliability because the Voodo sure isn't known for it.
Lotus built the C4 ZR1 engine, not GM.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #3874
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
You misunderstood my post when you replied (below). I didn’t intended to claim equivalency of the SS M6 and SS A8/A10. I was extending Martinjlm’s point about the “fastest SS in any trim” is on any dealer lot ...because they are all the same. ...trim being A8, A10 or M6 because we don’t have SS* (Chevy distinguished lesser equipped V8’s with the LT1 designation). I extended that observation to the stop light.

Furthermore, I noted that for $37k you can buy a track ready SS M6 with a Tremec, aux engine cooling, Trans/diff. coolers... You need to spend $60k on a GT350 to get a Tremec and cooling. Even there, Ford was shamed into it after the 2015/2016s were exposed as overheating during parade laps.

Finally. Since the SS is unchanged since 2016, the GT’s are outnumbered because the GT* is rare, 2015–2017 GT’s and 2018-2019 GT M6 will get wasted by any SS with a good driver. Regular GT A10 on all season tires - wasted. Regular GT A10 on good tires I’d bet on the SS A10 and want to know who the drivers are against the SS M6.

Sorry for missing all the fun by posting this late. I’m in the States so I had to work during the day.
Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #3875
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I know it might not be the absolute best performing supercar but man is the Ford GT a slick looking car, from how low it sits to the giant flying buttress'. Seeing it next to other super cars it really stands out as somethibg special. So with the low numbers and how special it is I can see why it commands such a premium now among collectors and the super wealthy.
Agree. I have read articles that said when there are Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, and Ford GTs around, the Ford GT gets the crowds. Maybe because there are so very few of them.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #3876
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So, here are my thoughts after a day and a half with a GT350. A couple weeks ago I had a Bullitt. I could see the appeal but came away with that was not a car for me. The GT350 is another story altogether. Hard to believe these two have the same bones. I hated the transmission in the Bullitt. I sorta forgave it since it was a press car and who knows what it had been through. I loved the transmission in the GT350. It had 6,600 mile on the clock and I have a pretty good idea of what it’s been through, so I no longer forgive the Bullitt MT. I was very impressed with the exhaust note in the Bullitt. The exhaust note in the GT350 is ridiculous. In a good way, of course.

Acceleration in the GT350 is effortless and the handling is tight. Acceleration in the Bullitt was a little labored in my opinion and the handling wasn’t bad, but wasn’t great either. The GT350 handled like a sports car should. The Cup 2s are awesome on this car. It would be nice to drive it back-to-back with an SS 1LE. Last time I drove a GT350 it was a ‘16 and I drove it back-to-back with a ZL1. I was impressed with it but more impressed with the ZL1. Back then the suspension didn’t seem as capable, or maybe it was impacted by the difference in driving dynamics with the ZL1 which was just freaky good in that comparison. And the ‘16 was not on Cup 2s.

Things I did not like about the GT350 touch on most of the major themes that I’ve seen on threads here and on M6G.
  • I quickly developed a love / hate relationship with the Recaros. Loved the position, the way they held me in position during aggressive cornering. Hated the fact that they are not power adjustable nor heated / ventilated.
  • Prop rod. C’mon Ford. $66k car with a prop rod?
That’s pretty much it. I had forgotten about the puddle lamps until I left a rehearsal and went to get in the car. It was a giggle-worthy moment.

It was nice having almost 1,000 hp in my driveway.
Awesome car! That orange, while I probably wouldn't choose it if I were to buy one, looks great. I love the puddle lamps; on mine it is the Mustang logo. The Shelby snake would be sweet.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 10-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #3877
Idaho2018GTPremium

I prefer NA engines over FI for a given similar hp output. An NA FPC 600-620 hp C8 Z06 would be killer. Would be nice if they could squeeze 625 hp out of it to keep it closer to the C7 Z06 output; but at 5.5 liters, 600 hp is 8% more hp/ liter (109 vs 101 hp/liter) than the Voodoo. Would emissions and reliability requirements be met at that output? Only exotic NA engines have higher specific output than the Voodoo.

That said, I hope they do it: 600+ hp FPC 5.5 liter C8 Z06.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #3878
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Lotus built the C4 ZR1 engine, not GM.
Wasn't even thinking about the C4 ZR1.. I said GM, not Chevrolet. But cool story, Bro.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote