Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
In this thread and others, guys talk about getting a "tune" and how this can fix the A8 shuddering problems. But, isn't there some specialized info needed to do this properly? Certain items that need to be set to certain specs? I mean, you can't just go to some random Bubba's shop and say "tune my transmission, bro" right?

Is there data that one must provide to the person doing the tuning?

I had the flush done on my A8 and it has been good since, but I don't put on a lot of miles on my car, so if this comes back I will probably be out of warranty, so am thinking ahead.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Have you guys been able to reduce shift and paddle response times on the A8 with a tune? Mine works perfectly and isn't a slouch, but it's not doing its stuff at A10 speeds and I'm always open to improvements.
Absolutely! Very easy to do with HP Tuners once you've unlocked the TCM ('17-up).
Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
In this thread and others, guys talk about getting a "tune" and how this can fix the A8 shuddering problems. But, isn't there some specialized info needed to do this properly? Certain items that need to be set to certain specs? I mean, you can't just go to some random Bubba's shop and say "tune my transmission, bro" right?

Is there data that one must provide to the person doing the tuning?

I had the flush done on my A8 and it has been good since, but I don't put on a lot of miles on my car, so if this comes back I will probably be out of warranty, so am thinking ahead.
A knowledgeable tuner is always a must. But to help prevent shudder, zeroing out Desired TCC Slip is the main table you're looking for. A great TCM tune is a lot more than just that though. Tuning the TCM helped with around town drivability as well as performance.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #18
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
A knowledgeable tuner is always a must. But to help prevent shudder, zeroing out Desired TCC Slip is the main table you're looking for. A great TCM tune is a lot more than just that though. Tuning the TCM helped with around town drivability as well as performance.
Please pardon my ignorance, but why would a transmission not be tuned well from the factory? (cost? maybe that's unanswerable, I dunno)

Given that we are both in MA, do you know of a skilled tuner in the area that you can recommend?
Old 10-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #19
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, but why would a transmission not be tuned well from the factory? (cost? maybe that's unanswerable, I dunno)

Given that we are both in MA, do you know of a skilled tuner in the area that you can recommend?
Factory has to deal with a AFM/DOD, it’s the first thing I shut off. Lol. Other items like shift firmness, shift point impact on fuel economy, powertrain warranty, etc are all items of factory concern. It’s dialed way back so the average Joe can just jump in and not feel like shifts are too firm, and that they can get the best fuel economy. I’d rather focus on performance and responsiveness, for starters. And a tune can really wake the A8 up, but you have to be ok with kissing your warranty goodbye.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Undoubtedly took a downgrade in looks, could've probably put a better sounding set of npp exhaust for what he paid in trade too. Npp isn't terrible, neither is the stock, but at that point I personally couldn't trade and spend more for the less preferable design and slight upgrade in exhaust note.
LOL about the looks. Must be a young guy thing. I'll be 50 soon and the last thing I ever even think about driving my '19 SS is the black paint/chevy badge in the front. I find it hilarious that people actually give a sh!t about something so minor. May not be perfect but the car still LOOKS bad a$$ and the A10 is frickin' awesome. I wouldn't touch an A8.

My 83yr old Dad drives an M235i. He always says to me, "I think my BMW is pretty damn ugly. I don't give a sh!t. I just put in Sport + and shift it and it hauls a$$."
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
LOL about the looks. Must be a young guy thing. I'll be 50 soon and the last thing I ever even think about driving my '19 SS is the black paint/chevy badge in the front. I find it hilarious that people actually give a sh!t about something so minor. May not be perfect but the car still LOOKS bad a$$ and the A10 is frickin' awesome. I wouldn't touch an A8.

My 83yr old Dad drives an M235i. He always says to me, "I think my BMW is pretty damn ugly. I don't give a sh!t. I just put in Sport + and shift it and it hauls a$$."
Let's see your beautiful 19 SS !!
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
Let's see your beautiful 19 SS !!
The fast and the ugly!
Attached Images

cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #23
orange devil
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
The fast and the ugly!
Seriously very nice !!!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #24
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah I don’t understand why people don’t like the looks of a 2019 either. The darker colors look better than the lighter ones and the SS 1LE 2019 looks real good to me! Good thing about the ‘19s is basically a one year front end look as compared to the 2016-2018s and the 2020s.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
If money is no object to you, sure it can be done.

For the mere mortal, nope wont happen. You would need a whole wiring harness at the least along with the TCM and transmission. Then is going to come the issue of programming the TCM and coding it to your VIN, GM is not going this to happen at all.

So unless you can get GM to allow you to upgrade this wont happen at all.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #26
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Yeah I don’t understand why people don’t like the looks of a 2019 either. The darker colors look better than the lighter ones and the SS 1LE 2019 looks real good to me! Good thing about the ‘19s is basically a one year front end look as compared to the 2016-2018s and the 2020s.
Yup, a few years from now everyone will be after the 19's because it was a one year production variant. Lol.

Funny thing is, I've gone to a dozen shows and have yet to hear a single negative opinion in person. Weird internet phenomenon over something that can be changed with $5 of vinyl or $20 in paint.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #27
orange devil
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
Yup, a few years from now everyone will be after the 19's because it was a one year production variant. Lol.

Funny thing is, I've gone to a dozen shows and have yet to hear a single negative opinion in person. Weird internet phenomenon over something that can be changed with $5 of vinyl or $20 in paint.
you know you look at the 16 through 18 ss and you really can't tell exactly what year they are and it's going to be the same way with the 20- 23 ss.. it was pretty common in the 60s for every year to be distinguishable...I think they all look great I really do .no hate ...but it is pretty cool having something that has a little bit of a mystique that came that way from the factory.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #28
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
you know you look at the 16 through 18 ss and you really can't tell exactly what year they are and it's going to be the same way with the 20- 23 ss.. it was pretty common in the 60s for every year to be distinguishable...I think they all look great I really do .no hate ...but it is pretty cool having something that has a little bit of a mystique that came that way from the factory.
Hey, whatever people like they like. I don't go hating on any of the other models either. I was loving the gen-6 when they first came out except for a few things, honestly when the 19s came out I loved the front end. I live in Florida, I deal with love bugs and all kinds of bug stuff on the front of the car daily. I was like this is awesome. Besides looking modern and aggressive, it hides all of those daily nasty's. LOL. I didn't even know there was an internet thing over it. The other 19 changes sold me on it. If the front gets chipped up over time, hell, maybe I'll color match it and make it look like a new '23 all over again. :-D
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote