Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Had my dumb moment for the year.

Coming off the freeway, the offramp puts me in the far left lane on a double left turn lane. There was a car to my right on the access road taking the outer left turn lane so I couldn't merge over. I stopped at the light to wait to make my left turn. After this, I had a right turn I needed to make about 1/8th a mile down from the intersection I was sitting at.

I get a green and start making my left turn, as does the car in the outer turn lane. He seemed far enough back so I started accelerating and put on my signal... ...he accelerated and matched me. I should have backed down but instead I dropped it into second and started leaving him pretty good but he caught on and thought I was racing him and he nailed the gas and caught right back up with me. I was only giving it about half gas. I think it was a turbo civic, not sure though. My turn was coming up so I hit the brakes and let him go.

There is probably a ricer lurking about thinking he killed an SS... Sorry guys!
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Coming off the freeway, the offramp puts me in the far left lane on a double left turn lane. There was a car to my right on the access road taking the outer left turn lane so I couldn't merge over. I stopped at the light to wait to make my left turn. After this, I had a right turn I needed to make about 1/8th a mile down from the intersection I was sitting at.

I get a green and start making my left turn, as does the car in the outer turn lane. He seemed far enough back so I started accelerating and put on my signal... ...he accelerated and matched me. I should have backed down but instead I dropped it into second and started leaving him pretty good but he caught on and thought I was racing him and he nailed the gas and caught right back up with me. I was only giving it about half gas. I think it was a turbo civic, not sure though. My turn was coming up so I hit the brakes and let him go.

But I bet that Civic sounded like a little fart machine about to blow up while your SS, even at half throttle, sounded a million times better! It’s like little dog syndrome. Those little cars are loud and obnoxious. I can’t understand those people. It’s like putting headers on my lawnmower.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No problem as it has happened to me in my SS and ZL1! If an idiot wants to race and you don’t then let them go and yes he probably is bragging about outrunning an SS to his fartcan/import buddies. Most of the time I’m driving in cruise mode unless I’m going to work or in a rush to get somewhere. It’s better the other person get a ticket for speeding than me is the way I think. Most of the time I’m driving in the Z, I have people in SUVs, trucks and some imports giving me a hassle on the road like they can’t stand for me to pass and get around them. That’s what upsets me but that’s everyday drivers where I am and I’m sure everywhere else!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #4
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I had this problem everytime I drove the SS until I debadged it, then literally nothing.

now that I have a zl1 (still badged), it's back. everybody and their brother either thinks they have something faster and want to prove it, or they just want to see what I have. Mostly hick rednecks in loud ass no muffled trucks or 4-different-colors-of-primer civics with exhausts bigger than their rims.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 AM   #5
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
I call these people "competitors".

For them, every stop light is the starting line of a race, and usually they are the only one racing. I find competitors in minivans, rental cars, economy sedans and sometimes dump trucks. They shall not be vanquished, and it is vital (to them) that you know this.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Hope the "race" didn't end up on youtube for him to brag about the "win"...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 10-07-2019 at 11:39 AM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Getting caught street racing in Maryland will cost you your license.

I get all types trying to get me to do something stupid - I just ignore them.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
68Vette

Drives: 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic, MRC, NPP
Quote:

Not a turbo, that was the VTECH kicking in!!!
68Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I get a decent amount of knuckleheads flying by, revving, etc. when I'm just minding my own business.

Just the other day a kid in a later model VW Golf GLI with two or three passengers pull along side me, hit the gas, braked, then repeated a few times. I put down the window and said don't be stupid son. The particular road has a post office where a cop car sits about 70% of the time too and with my luck even if I just revved back at him, which isn't my style, they'd probably nab me for street racing. Not worth it.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Get it all the time. I just ignore 'em
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I had a Kia Optima turbo with nice wheels on it try with me on the freeway this weekend. Kept passing me, slowing down even with me and accelerating and slowing down even with me again. Me and my wife were laughing, jamming the radio maintaining my consistent 65MPH in the 65MPH zone..... lol
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:

I hate it when I'm sitting at a light about to make a left turn and someone in a fart can Pod whos going straight starts making a lot of noise like they are trying to impress me. Somebody tell them that cars are extremely irritating to listen to.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
I had a Kia Optima turbo with nice wheels on it try with me on the freeway this weekend. Kept passing me, slowing down even with me and accelerating and slowing down even with me again. Me and my wife were laughing, jamming the radio maintaining my consistent 65MPH in the 65MPH zone..... lol
Kia's are the literal worst.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Kia's are the literal worst.
My daily is a turbo Kia
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote