Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
bonestock

Drives: 17 camaro ss
stabillitrac service

Im getting the bugs out this can tune, and honestly i want to go to my local tuners, i have 3 21st century, quality, amp. I was driving to a car meet, and decided to floor the car, the car said " stabilitrak service". my car was stuck, I pulled over and turned off car and tried again, still had the orange tire light.

Procharger said there going to give me a retune, but to do it right, i need a data log. has anyone had this error?? or having to send your ecu back and forth to procharger.

the car has no check engine lights, im using the car plugs they recommend, i read that if the car sees detonation it will do that stabillitrak thing, i know my car was not detonating, plus no codes.

Also i turned off car for 15 minutes and light was off.

The car hauls ass, but these are the problems, so far. i thinks its from the tune
1. Car goes idles from 500-650rpm
2. When it does that, it feels like the car wants to go forward (i checked all vacuum leak)
3. the stabilitrak error

I think its all in the tune.
bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I had a very similar experience with the canned tune as well. What made it even worse was being that we have 17 cars we have to ship our ECU to them and wait for it to get back.

So the first time I sent mine in the car seemed to run ok but it would break up really bad when you put any load on it. Check engine light was on. Turns out the engine break up was a broken spark plug. The Check engine light was a setting they forgot to take care of and said it was their bad and that I needed to ship the ECU back.

When I got it back OMG. the car would barely idle. Tons of Check engine light codes were popping up. My entire garage smelled like raw fuel, etc. Then it became the blame game and I was told that it wasn't the tune, no way no how. So I started pouring over everything I could think of. They sent me out replacement Maf harness wires to try, I changed plugs again, I almost bought a brand new MAF since some of the codes mentioned a fault with the MAF. I had to get my Sales guy (House of Boost) to convince them to accept the ECU back and look over the tune again. They did so reluctantly but found one of the tuning parameters was incorrect. They apologized and corrected it and shipped the ECU back.

When I got it back no more issues with Idle, Car ran fine, no check engine lights. I wasn't a fan of the way the tune felt though. It was like driving normal stock car and then at a certain RPM if you went WOT it would suddenly surge like the feeling when you spray Nitrous. It wasn't a smooth transition of power like I was hoping. I assumed this is probably what it's like and just how it is.

I drove the car like this for a month but took it easy on it since I wasn't trusting the tune 100%. Finally decided to find a local tuner put it on his dyno just to check the A/F. He made a pull and shut it down before redline and said it was getting too lean and he did'n't want it blowing up on his dyno. I paid him to redo the tune and while it was a bit better there were still drive-ability issues that weren't right. Like on the way home on the highway it wouldn't rev past 4k RPM.. Or go to an A/F of 10.0 (Super rich). He was more of a Ford Guy and tunes a lot of Mustangs. I think he knew maybe how to tune the LS Cars and figured how hard can it be to tune our cars. There was a lot about our platform that he didn't know.

Knowing things still weren't right I went to Ted @ Jannetty Racing and OMG what a difference his tuning made. A night an day difference. I've been with him ever since with no regrets.

So you are likely right. it's 100% in your tune!. I say do yourself a favor and just find you a good local tuner or a remote tuner with a good reputation for tuning these cars and you'll really end up enjoying the investment you made.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
bonestock

Drives: 17 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I had a very similar experience with the canned tune as well. What made it even worse was being that we have 17 cars we have to ship our ECU to them and wait for it to get back.

So the first time I sent mine in the car seemed to run ok but it would break up really bad when you put any load on it. Check engine light was on. Turns out the engine break up was a broken spark plug. The Check engine light was a setting they forgot to take care of and said it was their bad and that I needed to ship the ECU back.

When I got it back OMG. the car would barely idle. Tons of Check engine light codes were popping up. My entire garage smelled like raw fuel, etc. Then it became the blame game and I was told that it wasn't the tune, no way no how. So I started pouring over everything I could think of. They sent me out replacement Maf harness wires to try, I changed plugs again, I almost bought a brand new MAF since some of the codes mentioned a fault with the MAF. I had to get my Sales guy (House of Boost) to convince them to accept the ECU back and look over the tune again. They did so reluctantly but found one of the tuning parameters was incorrect. They apologized and corrected it and shipped the ECU back.

When I got it back no more issues with Idle, Car ran fine, no check engine lights. I wasn't a fan of the way the tune felt though. It was like driving normal stock car and then at a certain RPM if you went WOT it would suddenly surge like the feeling when you spray Nitrous. It wasn't a smooth transition of power like I was hoping. I assumed this is probably what it's like and just how it is.

I drove the car like this for a month but took it easy on it since I wasn't trusting the tune 100%. Finally decided to find a local tuner put it on his dyno just to check the A/F. He made a pull and shut it down before redline and said it was getting too lean and he did'n't want it blowing up on his dyno. I paid him to redo the tune and while it was a bit better there were still drive-ability issues that weren't right. Like on the way home on the highway it wouldn't rev past 4k RPM.. Or go to an A/F of 10.0 (Super rich). He was more of a Ford Guy and tunes a lot of Mustangs. I think he knew maybe how to tune the LS Cars and figured how hard can it be to tune our cars. There was a lot about our platform that he didn't know.

Knowing things still weren't right I went to Ted @ Jannetty Racing and OMG what a difference his tuning made. A night an day difference. I've been with him ever since with no regrets.

So you are likely right. it's 100% in your tune!. I say do yourself a favor and just find you a good local tuner or a remote tuner with a good reputation for tuning these cars and you'll really end up enjoying the investment you made.
im good buddies with the main tuners, and there saying its not in the tune, but im gonnna have john at 21st centrury retune it
bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
21st tuned my buddies ZL1 with headers and a pulley, he said he loves it and 21st did a great job. I'm sure AMP would do a good job as well.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestock View Post
im good buddies with the main tuners, and there saying its not in the tune, but im gonnna have john at 21st centrury retune it
Maybe in this case it's not the tune but fwiw, I was told the same thing when it was spewing raw fuel out the exhaust, etc. NO way its the tune and it turned out to be the tune.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote