Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #3627
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
None of these cars are collectibles. None of them actually increase in value. At least not enough to make them turn a profit. To think that they are or will be is foolish. The only car that I could say that truly increased in value is the early 2000 Ford GT.

There are many recent cars that have actually increased in value. Look up the 2011 BMW 1M, or the 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4.

If you want to make money, bribe someone to get one of the very few 2020 Cayman GT4 that will be available. But be sure to include the bribe in the basis cost when calculating "return".
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #3628
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
A10 according to the article I posted.
That would make sense
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #3629
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
There are many recent cars that have actually increased in value. Look up the 2011 BMW 1M, or the 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4.

If you want to make money, bribe someone to get one of the very few 2020 Cayman GT4 that will be available. But be sure to include the bribe in the basis cost when calculating "return".
I shopped some Cayman GT4s not long ago - they came back under MSRP after the GT3 RS hype amongst other P-Cars caught speculators attention.

1M is a rare bird for sure.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #3630
krw1103

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I'm still kind of new to the forum and a lot to learn, but if someone could help me to unsubscribe to this thread I would appreciate it. It has gotten beyond absurd with the speculation of something that is not on the market. About the only one who seems to have a clue is martinjim.
krw1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #3631
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is your interpretation and you may be right. I am sure we will find out once someone unlocks the ECU. Until then we can only guess

However. Reread the actual articles and not just the headlines. Those are NOT words direct from Ford, those are words from the authors of the articles.

"If you're a little let down that Joe Walsh's (at least) 39-year-old Maserati will outrun the brand-new Shelby, don't be. The cost associated with engineering a 200-mph car versus a 180-mph car is not insignificant, and it likely allowed for the wiggle room to include such performance-enhancing features as a dual-clutch automatic transmission and a rear wing borrowed from the Mustang GT4 racer"

"Likely allowed" That is Car & Driver straight up guessing like we are.

The Road & Track Article is simply paraphrasing what Car & Driver said, "Our colleagues at Car and Driver report that Ford has decided to limit the new GT500 to 180 mph"

We glossed over a hidden detail in Ford's press release on the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 aerodynamics. Ford has capped the super coupe's top speed at 180 mph, feeling that number represents the "sweet spot" of straight-line speed and cornering performance.

It's not like they had a sit down with anyone from Ford Performance or Ford who said it's too expensive to engineer a 200MPH vehicle so we spent that money on the DCT and aero package. They straight up guessed. Noe if they had a conversation with someone form Ford and that is what was inferred/said/mentioned hinted at. OK I would be 100% on board with you and say yeah the car must not be stable or safe or past 180 something isnt right... But those articles are from journalists making guesses after reading a press release

AS far as my guess on why, hell I just guessed lol. This place is dead just making conversation lol.

When GM did teh test on the ZL1 top speed yes they were on a oval so that helped, but did they do that with the auto or M6? I saw Hennesy did a top speed run in a 17 ZL1 M6 and only hit 173
They have to speculate because Ford chose not to answer why they capped it. There is no reason to cap a vehicle at 180 MPH if it is capable of safely going 200 or more. The fact that this car costs what it does and is the only one that had to be limited to such a low comparative speed without any logical reason is outrageous. $60K Base C8 goes 194 MPH. $94K GT500 is limited to 180 MPH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krw1103 View Post
I'm still kind of new to the forum and a lot to learn, but if someone could help me to unsubscribe to this thread I would appreciate it. It has gotten beyond absurd with the speculation of something that is not on the market. About the only one who seems to have a clue is martinjim.
Sure I'll help you. Go to where you originally subscribed in the first place. Select "Unsubscribe". Easy.

If you have a hard time then do this. Scroll to the top of this page. Above the very first post on the page and to the right you will see three tabs one of which is "Thread Tools". Click on that. That is where you subscribed. If you click it then it will have the option to unsubscribe. Click unsubscribe and off you go. Bye.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #3632
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
That can be true but there are cars out there that have done very nicely even when faster models came out. A few that come to mind 87 Grand National, 89 Buick Powered Trans-Am, 93 Cobra Mustang, 2003 Cobra Mustang. Hell the 93 Cobra and GN have less hp than my wife's minivan but are highly desired vehicles. Both of which I would love to own
I hear ya, but I'm evaluating the GT500 itself, which is a rerun of the last version but with more HP and a DCT. I expect it to continue on for some time as the Mustang project has been considerably extended (like the Camaro). I also expect there to be some upgrades along the way, like more HP, and perhaps a manual at some point. If the manual happens, that's the one to get. But this first year, if it's not a CFTP, don't count on much.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #3633
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
But, at the end of the day, and in years to come, the GT500 and GT350 will be more collectible. Sad, but true.
Didn’t everyone say that with the last gt500? Seen many selling in the $30k range. So now the new gt500 out and it starts again. The only one with a little collectibility is the R, and that is do to very low production.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #3634
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
Didn’t everyone say that with the last gt500? Seen many selling in the $30k range. So now the new gt500 out and it starts again. The only one with a little collectibility is the R, and that is do to very low production.
Where are you seeing a low mileage well maintained 2013 GT500s in the 30k range? Everything I see that hasn't been beat to death and has reasonable mileage is in the mid to high 40k range, many in the low 50ks. 30k would be an absolute steal for a well maintained with reasonable mileage 662-hp GT500. I'd buy it tomorrow and put it back up for sale the next day for 10-15k more.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #3635
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Where are you seeing a low mileage well maintained 2013 GT500s in the 30k range? Everything I see that hasn't been beat to death and has reasonable mileage is in the mid to high 40k range, many in the low 50ks. 30k would be an absolute steal for a well maintained with reasonable mileage 662-hp GT500. I'd buy it tomorrow and put it back up for sale the next day for 10-15k more.
The last gt500 was in 08 and people thought it would be collectible, then they bumped hp, those sank in price. Then the next was collectible, but another bump in HP, those sank. Then 662 came, then the previous one sank. Now the 760 is here, and the 662 will sink. These newer cars won’t be collectible unless there very limited built like the R and sit in your garage. But can’t really see any of these increase in value over time unless it stays parked and still has the plastic on the seat.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #3636
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
People always think these cars are going to magically increase in value and they don't. The Hellcat didn't, the Demon is desperately holding on, the Redeye won't, the GT350 and GT350R didn't, the last GT500s didn't, and the next GT500s won't either. People pay these ridiculous markups thinking the car is going to be some sort of investment. Which is why I enjoy laughing at them when the car plummets. Or when they frantically try to sell it off as the value is dropping in hopes of not losing more money than they already did. All that talk 2-3 years ago about how the GT350 and GT350R was an investment and now the GT350 can be had for low $40K and the R is not too much more than that with around 10K miles. People are stupid.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #3637
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Ford guys are willing to pay more for the Mustang because there is nothing else. Chevy guys are divided between the Camaro and Corvette. A limited production Mustang will have a much bigger potential buy pool because that's their only choice.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #3638
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I hear ya, but I'm evaluating the GT500 itself, which is a rerun of the last version but with more HP and a DCT. I expect it to continue on for some time as the Mustang project has been considerably extended (like the Camaro). I also expect there to be some upgrades along the way, like more HP, and perhaps a manual at some point. If the manual happens, that's the one to get. But this first year, if it's not a CFTP, don't count on much.
Let me rephrase that last part.

But this first year, if it's not a CFTP AND you got it at MSRP, don't count on much.

If you pay a big ADM, then you may have to wait much longer to recoup your cash...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #3639
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
You so rarely make money buying a car and pretty much never off the lot. Ive bought so many cars in my lifetime and can't imagine the amount of money lost. It all comes down to getting out at the right time, from the right deal, to minimize the loss. This ZL1 would optimally be 4-5 years when it hangs in the high 20's worst or low 30's best. I over paid on mine at 54k for a 2018 but traded in a AMG that was headed negative like an acme anvil.
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #3640
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
The last gt500 was in 08 and people thought it would be collectible, then they bumped hp, those sank in price. Then the next was collectible, but another bump in HP, those sank. Then 662 came, then the previous one sank. Now the 760 is here, and the 662 will sink. These newer cars won’t be collectible unless there very limited built like the R and sit in your garage. But can’t really see any of these increase in value over time unless it stays parked and still has the plastic on the seat.
That’s not at all surprising in the short term. Collectibility is a long term play. It builds from nostalgia. That’s why I emphasized the emotional presence of the car when I was talking about GT350 and GT500. I’ll give you an example I’m closed to.

I play bass guitar. As with cars, there is a wide band of products and prices available. One of the best and most expensive brands is Alembic. Some people say “I’d never buy an Alembic. They’re too expensive and they don’t hold good resale value”. Others say “I’d love to own an Alembic but I can’t afford a new one and the older ones are ridiculously priced”. They are both right.

I custom ordered an Alembic in 2000. Cost me a little less than $6,500. I was thinking about ordering another one in 2004, so I tested the market to see what I could get for mine. Saw offers around $3,500 - 4,000. That ain’t happening. Fast forward to today. I still own it. Due to a number of factors, prices of new Alembics have climbed. To order a bass with the specs of my bass today would be a bit north of $20,000. I have seen lesser model Alembics than mine sell for $6,000 and more. I have turned down unsolicited offers of over $8,000. It took almost 20 years, but the collectible “value” of my bass dropped significantly in the first few years that I owned it, but has been steadily climbing since then.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote