Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
floridanick

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Exclamation Rear end feeling loose

I’m gonna try to make this short. Car feels unstable and loose in the rear. I was hit in the front quarter panel and dealer did alignment and since then I feel like it has gotten worse. If I go over un even lanes it’s like the car wants to step out to the right or left in a way that doesn’t feel normal.

Fast forward to today where I installed phastek lowering springs in hopes of finding something that was lose or out of place but ended up having bigger issues.
The front left strut tower appeared to be cross threaded from the factory. The right side came out no problem but the left side was a nightmare and required heating the bolt and lots of impact gun time just to get it off. We managed to get the new spring on and tightened onto what little thread was left but while I was limping it back home I feel as tho the bolt pulled and now I am going to buy a new strut tower tomorrow

Does anyone know the part number for a front driver side strut tower? Or what I might expect to pay?

At this point I am going to put my stock muffler back on and stock cai and if a local wheel shop doesn’t fix the problem with the feeling in the wheel and seat of car being unstable I will have to play the game with the dealership and leave the car and go through the process of dealing with warranty.

Just feeling pissed off because I have had the car three months and starting to feel like one thing after another.

Has anyone experienced a sensation of almost lose lug nuts or rear end that causes the car to jerk side to side in an un controller manner or know what could even cause that?
floridanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanick View Post
I’m gonna try to make this short. Car feels unstable and loose in the rear. I was hit in the front quarter panel and dealer did alignment and since then I feel like it has gotten worse. If I go over un even lanes it’s like the car wants to step out to the right or left in a way that doesn’t feel normal.

Fast forward to today where I installed phastek lowering springs in hopes of finding something that was lose or out of place but ended up having bigger issues.
The front left strut tower appeared to be cross threaded from the factory. The right side came out no problem but the left side was a nightmare and required heating the bolt and lots of impact gun time just to get it off. We managed to get the new spring on and tightened onto what little thread was left but while I was limping it back home I feel as tho the bolt pulled and now I am going to buy a new strut tower tomorrow

Does anyone know the part number for a front driver side strut tower? Or what I might expect to pay?

At this point I am going to put my stock muffler back on and stock cai and if a local wheel shop doesn’t fix the problem with the feeling in the wheel and seat of car being unstable I will have to play the game with the dealership and leave the car and go through the process of dealing with warranty.

Just feeling pissed off because I have had the car three months and starting to feel like one thing after another.

Has anyone experienced a sensation of almost lose lug nuts or rear end that causes the car to jerk side to side in an un controller manner or know what could even cause that?
Barring any actual frame or suspension damage, I would say have your alignment re-checked by a performance shop.

Not on this car, but on my previous M3 when I added coilovers, the shop did a crappy alignment and my car felt unstable as all hell. Took it to a place I trusted and the toe was WAY off.

I would start there, then look at components/damage after that.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
floridanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Barring any actual frame or suspension damage, I would say have your alignment re-checked by a performance shop.

Not on this car, but on my previous M3 when I added coilovers, the shop did a crappy alignment and my car felt unstable as all hell. Took it to a place I trusted and the toe was WAY off.

I would start there, then look at components/damage after that.
Thank you! I picked up the last strut at the dealership today was afraid with the strike and back order status everywhere else I was going to have a hard time getting a new drive side strut tower.

Going to try and replace the damaged bolt strut with a new one today and get it on a rack today or tomorrow and see what happens from there.

Already spoke to a friend service manager who told me he will help me out and get the car looked at if I still have issues.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Loose is fast and on the edge you're outta control.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Loose is fast and on the edge you're outta control.
LOL. Have't watched that movie in a LONG time. Great classic if you are a car guy. That was before Cruz got all wacked and weird, I can't watch his new stuff. Love Robert Duvall though.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
parts here in a diagram...https://www.cheapestgmparts.com/v-20...and-components
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
floridanick

I bought it in for an alignment after putting in the new strut and completing the lowering spring saga.

It was way off which is understandable for doing the springs but they were able to bring it into tolerance and the problem has subsided.

The weird thing is most of the symptoms were present prior to the springs and after a GM dealership did the alignment so something must have came lose because the rear camber was horrible. Looked like stance life without wanting it ha.
will scan the before and after print out of how far it was off.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
floridanick

So the car must have been out of whack to begin with or something was lose and making it progressively worse. After I added springs it was way off obviously but this is before and after at bottom. Does anyone know if that is ok or needs to be better?

Old 09-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
I am in the same exact boat. I lowered my second 17' SS on Eibach springs and this new car is way out of whack. The only real difference was wider tires and no MRC on new car. Currently getting tires replaced and dropping it off at shop today for alignment. I will post my results when I get the car back. I pray its just alignment because right now it simply feels unsafe.

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. TOTALED 6/2019
K&N Intake, MRBP axleback, Eibach kit, 20" Z28 wheels, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. Round 2- 8/2019 550/600 RWHP, Magnuson TVS2300, Rotofab Intake, Corsa Xtreme, Air Lift P3 System, 20" Stance SF-07, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system.
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #10
floridanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyca View Post
I am in the same exact boat. I lowered my second 17' SS on Eibach springs and this new car is way out of whack. The only real difference was wider tires and no MRC on new car. Currently getting tires replaced and dropping it off at shop today for alignment. I will post my results when I get the car back. I pray its just alignment because right now it simply feels unsafe.

Should be fixed with alignment, I had it start before I did springs but springs really made it feel horrible like I was driving on loose lugnuts
Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
teddyca

Quote:
Should be fixed with alignment, I had it start before I did springs but springs really made it feel horrible like I was driving on loose lugnuts
No shit. Well I put 305/25-20 tires on the rear and spun pretty good when leaving to go get alignment. I was dogging the suspension trying to get it to sit. I am picking up my Camaro after work and will post my results. I appreciate the confidence though. This thing was reckless lol.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
floridanick

yeah I had stance like a fcuking honda civic ricer in the right rear, the dealer is going to take a look at it next wend because I hear a clunk sound when turning into my drive way and backing the car or opposite locking the steering so want them to see what thats all about as well as make sure the rest of the camber alignment is within spec because corner store tire place got it close but said they couldn't get it perfect.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
teddyca

Me and you both. My 15 year old thought it was "cool". LOL You just reminded me my car goes to the dealer tomorrow as well for transmission service. LOL Doing everything before the Maggie and they stop touching it.

Quote:
yeah I had stance like a fcuking honda civic ricer in the right rear, the dealer is going to take a look at it next wend because I hear a clunk sound when turning into my drive way and backing the car or opposite locking the steering so want them to see what thats all about as well as make sure the rest of the camber alignment is within spec because corner store tire place got it close but said they couldn't get it perfect.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #14
floridanick

which mag? I am wanting one asap. just did a baseline *ish dyno yesterday 402/409 a10 19ss. doesnt scare me or feel fast anymore 3 months into owning.