Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
toicy4ya

Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI
Considering Purchasing a Convertible, Advise Needed

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum. I'm considering purchasing a 6 gen camaro convertible. Unfortunately, I’ve never owned a camaro or chevy for that matter. I’ve done some research and viewed a number of posts on your forum. However, I have the following questions. If you can offer some feedback or point me in the right direction, I’d greatly appreciate it.

1) I understand the 6 gen camaro has a number of different models RS, 1SS, 2SS, 1LT, 2LT ect. Is there a website that can offer me a side by side comparison on the specs for each model?

2) I believe the 6 gen camaro offers a number of engines depending on the model. Of the engine/models offered which is the most reliable?

3) Are there any major concerns or consistant issues that plague the 6 gen camaro convertible or is there anything I should look for specifically when test driving or inspecting a 6 gen camaro before purchasing?

Thanks again for your feedback. I look forward to being a new team member soon.
toicy4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
1) The Chevrolet website will let you compare the different models
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/camaro-sports-car

2) Yes* (you are gonna get a LOT of answers on that, depending on who owns what)

3) Some owners have had top issues:
see this thread:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531151
Supposedly there is now a perma-fix available.

A top that folds will ALWAYS have issues that a hardtop does not have. It is the nature of the beast. The trade off is top down driving and the feeling of the winding rushing over where your hair used to be. You will have to make that decision on your own.

Full disclosure - I own a convertible and would not have it any other way.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
toicy4ya

Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI
Thanks for the quick response. I owned a soft top convertible many years ago. I miss the feeling. However, the issue I encountered on that particular vehicle (98 Eclipse Spyder) was slight leaking on the corners where the top meets the front windshield. Have you experienced any leaking at all?
toicy4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Welcome to the forum.

Full disclosure - I'm a dyed in the wool Chevy guy. Since 1983 we've had a dozen and they have all been great cars.
When I started looking for a convertible I was looking hard at the BMW hard top convertible. At some point I realized it was going to cost me a LOT of money to get into a BMW.

Suddenly, I had a revelation that Chevy makes the Camaro with a convertible top. My original plan was to get into a V6 - nothing crazy. Long story short, my wife insisted on the SS with the V8 - as long as the car is white. We lucked out that a local dealer had a leftover 2017 2SS convertible at a very nice price. We picked it up last Halloween.
I've never had a sporty car before, and this car can do it all. That I can drive hard and fast on twisty roads with the top down is an amazing bonus.
Another unexpected bonus with the V8 is that I can get close to 30 mpg in highway driving averaging over 70 mph.
Get the SS. You won't regret it.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
I have an 8 speed auto, 2018 2SS Redline Vert in white with a black top. Believe it or not, people stop on the street to comment its looks. The car also is amazingly tight and rattle free due to the extensive bracing under it and the underhood strut brace. I love the my Redline and intend to keep it indefinitely.
Besides, my wife would have a fit if I sold it.
Attached Images

ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #6
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
You need to decide how much power you want/need/can afford.
4 cylinder
6 cylinder
8 cylinder
8 cylinder with super charger.

That decision also determines some of the options you can or cannot get.

Or if power is not a concern, you need to look at the appearance. The different trims have different looks. It all comes down to what looks good to you.

As for what to look for when buying, this thread has some great advice: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437205
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Jaysatthelake

Drives: 2019 2SS 6 speed convertible
I think the key to the newer Camaro convertibles is changing to the Corvette style of tonneau cover. I had a 2012 Camaro convertible and very seldom put the tonneau cover on. Now with my 2019 it's just always there and looks so darn much better.

I'm a V8 fan and always will be. The sound and performance is everything. So 2SS was the only way for me.

I've had 8 convertibles and would have to say the new Camaro has the best top down ride of any of them.
Jaysatthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
The quality is pretty good - I don't think you can compare it to a '99 Eclipse!

No issues with my top leaking - but then again I don't drive the car in the rain very often.

The convertible chassis is much stiffer than you would ever expect a convertible to be - it's pretty amazing actually. It's great to drive top up or down, although I am 90% top down since I have other vehicles to drive when it's too cold or even too hot.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I'll try to help with the basics........RS, 1LT, 2 LT are non V8 models. I am not sure about engines and which ones you can get with these- it's either or both 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine. 1 LT has fewer options than a 2 LT. 1SS, 2SS are V8 Camaros. 1SS has less options than 2SS. Upper end models with V8's are ZL1. There is a new base V8 Camaro new for 2020- called a LT1. Camaros are powerful whether you get a 4, 6 or the V8. The V8 Camaros are absolute power houses and you can get the SS's with a track racing package called a 1LE. The ZL1 is just about a racing car.

4 Cylinder Camaros will be the entry level models. They have a turbo 4, decent power, good gas mileage. But they require premium fuel.

V6 Camaros (my personal favorite and what I drive) is the middle engine. They get really great gas mileage ( I average 35 but drive with a light foot) AND they run on regular gas- 87 octane. In my opinion the V6 is the one to get if you are on a budget or near retirement as I am.

The SS's and LT1's are the power houses- they have a huge V8 with power and sound. An LT1 (2020 only) or and SS is the one to get if you can afford it, the insurance and the gas bill. They can get decent mileage- I have seen posts of 30 MPG but you must keep your foot out of it. They also require premium fuel.

You can get manual or automatic. If you get the automatic- beware of the 8 speed automatic. It has shudder problems- some have it, some don't. My first Camaro was a 2017 RS, V6,, A8 and it had horrible shudder problems to the extent I got rid of the car. My second one with a V6 has 6 speed manual and it has been awesome. The 10 speed automatic is pretty good, less troublesome, so far. The 6 speed manuals have very little problems.

As far as the convertible goes, the top is electric and they are prone to problems down the road like all electric convertibles. And the Florida heat and sun takes it's toll on them. If you get one I recommend you get a California Pop Top to cover the black convertible top in the sun.

The Camaro is a great choice for a car- it's on my top 10 list of all of the cars I ever owned.

I hope these basics help you out. Go out and look at them- and test drive and have fun!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Having owned a 6th gen coupe and convertible, I can tell you that the convertible will have more squeaks and noises, but you’ll forget all about that when you are driving with the top down.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Convertibles are for high school girls/
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
Convertibles are for high school girls/
Very Helpful post - thanks for chiming in
Old 09-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
RickErnst
Rick's6inNJ

Drives: 2017 Vert 2LT RS V6
I have a 2017 2LT with the V6 as my daily driver. It currently has about 13K miles on it (short commute) and I'm not hearing any squeaks or rattles yet which is a good sign. It is the second convertible we have owned - wife's 20018 VW Beetle being the other - and the Camaro is hands-down better than the Beetle when it comes to annoying noises.

I have also been lucky that I have not had any of the top issues (so far)others have had and posted about in this forum. Just hoping it stays that way.

For me the V6 is plenty of power. I have no problem squealing the tires with reasonable go pedal, so I have no need for the SS. It even sounds pretty good IMO. Nowhere near what the SS and LTI sounds like, but they would probably just get me into trouble.

I did have a small leak problem right after I purchased it in September of 2017, where you expected it to be (where the top meets the A pillar on the passenger side), but after it dripped a few times, it has been leak free ever since. Not sure what may have caused it but its no longer a worry.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you eventually decide to get. Nothing beats a convertible...
RickErnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
c4racer

I will add that I have no squeaks or rattles either and I have 13K mi on a 2016 that I have owned 3 years since new. SS with the V8 and manual trans.