Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #15
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Spend some coin on Castrol SRF brake fluid and keep the rest to pay for track days, pads, and tires.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #16
Substandard

Drives: 1LE
Thank you for the thoughts, but I'm not looking for ideas on spending the money on entry fees, hotels, and schools. That's a non issue financially. I have already done driving schools, and I'm not a novice. I have had my fun and bills with a fully prepared and caged Z06. This is simply a HPDE car that I can fart around in a couple of times per month.

I am looking for advice on peer reviewed modifications within the budget I've allowed. I have already spent money on the lockout kits, wheels and proxes RR. I would like to keep my suspension geometry by removing deflection in the bearings. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on any good products for the 6th gen Camaro?
Substandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
+1. $2500 will get chewed through really quick on entry fees, hotels, gasoline, tires, and brake pads.

For the vast majority of drivers the 1LE doesn't *need* anything out of the box except an alignment and brake fluid flush.

Do a bunch of HPDE's, compare your lap times with the Best Track Times thread, and only when you're at the top of the heap should you be looking at modifications to go quicker. 9/10 it's the driver holding the car back, not the other way around.

:whs:

The stock car needs nothing to run in the top 10% of any track worldwide.

Spend your $2500 on Instruction (remote or in-car) until you both agree you have reached the limit of the current setup.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #18
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE

Just be careful and don't blow the welds on your intake.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post

Just be careful and don't blow the welds on your intake.
I see what you did there
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #20
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
I don't think this car needs much of anything besides the track alignment and good brake fluid. I've personally been extremely satisfied with the combination of:
- Ferodo DS1.11 pads
- Girodisc front rotor rings
- Garage Therapy brake ducts

From my very un-scientific experience, the brake ducts and girodisc rotors have shown a significant improvement in wear and brake feel throughout my sessions.

Also agree that there is no need for the DSC controller...the suspension engineers are much smarter than we are
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #21
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Substandard View Post
I have a 2017 SS 1LE and I'm needing help. I can't figure out what modifications I should do to this car. I'll list what I have so we'll all know what I've done so far. I want to keep the magnaride and I like my warranty, so no go fast parts like headers.

This is what I have.
1. Apex 19x11 ARC8 with 295/30/19 Toyo proxes RR front and rear.
2. GM track alignment
3. BMR rear cradle lockout
4. BMR diff lockout

I have $2500 to spend. Help me out here.
Ok, backing up a bit here. You won't be able to fit those wheels (assuming the fronts are the ZL1 1LE size) up front with any kind of track alignment. Camber plates full-in with the knuckles pulled back out will be your only hope.

You'll also need stiffer anti-roll bars to match the tires. That topic is easily searchable.

Given the tires, you'll probably want more aggressive brake pads. Pads are a personal thing, so pick yours per your experience and preference. Remember to also implement titanium shims [or similar thermal insulator] as most racing pads don't have them, and not running them will roast the calipers.

So, camber plates, sway bars, track pads, and Ti shims is your immediate shopping list.

Last edited by Ryephile; 09-09-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #22
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
+1 looking to do some dedicated tires and rims. Tired of being restricted. Buttonwillow from last Saturday sold me to upgrade to a race set. Loved the Goodyear SC3s but they do get a bit greasy on a hot track fast like any other summer street tires.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #23
Substandard

Quote:
Ok, backing up a bit here. You won't be able to fit those wheels (assuming the fronts are the ZL1 1LE size) up front with any kind of track alignment. Camber plates full-in with the knuckles pulled back out will be your only hope.

You'll also need stiffer anti-roll bars to match the tires. That topic is easily searchable.

Given the tires, you'll probably want more aggressive brake pads. Pads are a personal thing, so pick yours per your experience and preference. Remember to also implement titanium shims [or similar thermal insulator] as most racing pads don't have them, and not running them will roast the calipers.

So, camber plates, sway bars, track pads, and Ti shims is your immediate shopping list.
Thanks. I was definitely wanting camber plates. What are the most popular camber plates on here?
Substandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #24
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa_SS View Post
Negative my ass! I have it and my car handles better at track!
IIRC the only person to post before and after track times on here found the car to be slower. 3 seconds or something? That was a long time ago when I first read up on it though so maybe more has been posted. Most people who loved it loved it from subjective feel vs objective data.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #25
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
IIRC the only person to post before and after track times on here found the car to be slower. 3 seconds or something? That was a long time ago when I first read up on it though so maybe more has been posted. Most people who loved it loved it from subjective feel vs objective data.
Exactly! I don't want to hear subjective BS i.e. "it handles great". Show me the objective data that says it's faster. Informed sources tell me that GM has been benchmarking the MRC off of the DSSV and there's little to be gained without spending big money on Penske or others.

Back to the OP. SRF brake fluid, Hawk DTC-70 pads, Apex ARC-8 19x10.5 with GY SC3Rs. Planning to add Vorshlag camber plates, bushings, etc in the off-season, but honestly pretty pleased with how the car handles out of the box vs my former C5Z T1 car.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #26
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
Why spend more money on mods when there is track time and more consumables to buy.
EXACTLY
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #27
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
+1. $2500 will get chewed through really quick on entry fees, hotels, gasoline, tires, and brake pads.

For the vast majority of drivers the 1LE doesn't *need* anything out of the box except an alignment and brake fluid flush.

Do a bunch of HPDE's, compare your lap times with the Best Track Times thread, and only when you're at the top of the heap should you be looking at modifications to go quicker. 9/10 it's the driver holding the car back, not the other way around.
+1 and I'd increase the 9/10 value to virtually 10/10
$2500 is NOT a lot for consumables btw...so use it wisely, max your seat time and the fun-o-meter.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #28
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
+1 and I'd increase the 9/10 value to virtually 10/10
$2500 is NOT a lot for consumables btw...so use it wisely, max your seat time and the fun-o-meter.
It's not hard to add a zero on to $2500 annually for those that track a lot if we start to add it all up not including depreciation.

There are a lot of members of Trackaholics Anonymous!
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote