Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #71
roger1

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
...I take nothing away from Corvettes - awesome cars - but not a muscle car. They are literally a road race chassis tuned for street use. If that's what you want - especially if you want to track the car a lot - it's a great car. But Corvette is more of a weekend car to me than an everyday car. And even at that I prefer road trips in the Camaro too and so does my wife. So while I love the idea of a Corvette - I just wouldn't want one vs. the Camaro. And it's not a matter of affording one - I could easily do that, although I would have to sell my Porsche.

This explains what I've been thinking lately. I own a 32K mile 2008 Corvette 6spd car that I bought new. In the last year, my needs have changed for the car. We bought a condo in Colorado and I've now driven the Vette up there twice in the last year. When out and about in the Denver area, I was thinking I'd rather have a car with an automatic. Also my wife doesn't drive the car at all because of that 6 speed. She doesn't like how low it is either.

Like you, I can afford a new Corvette but am thinking that a Camaro will now suit my situation a little better. I'm thinking about the new LT1 model with an A10. If I went with a 2019 Vette with an automatic, it's the A8. I'd rather have the A10 as it has a better reputation. Not really interested in the new C8. I'm sure it will be great but even less practical for me than the C7.
2008 Corvette 3LT Coupe, LS3/6spd, Atomic Orange, all stock
roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #72
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
And if you look at what the magazines are listing as the make up of the package
It sure looks exactly like the entire suspension brake and wheel/tire package that comes on the ZL1. And I’m talking M6 car here which the OP had.
Maybe I’m missing something but that’s how I read it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #73
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
This explains what I've been thinking lately. I own a 32K mile 2008 Corvette 6spd car that I bought new. In the last year, my needs have changed for the car. We bought a condo in Colorado and I've now driven the Vette up there twice in the last year. When out and about in the Denver area, I was thinking I'd rather have a car with an automatic. Also my wife doesn't drive the car at all because of that 6 speed. She doesn't like how low it is either.

Like you, I can afford a new Corvette but am thinking that a Camaro will now suit my situation a little better. I'm thinking about the new LT1 model with an A10. If I went with a 2019 Vette with an automatic, it's the A8. I'd rather have the A10 as it has a better reputation. Not really interested in the new C8. I'm sure it will be great but even less practical for me than the C7.
I agree. The a10 would be great for you and I run the mag ride SS suspension and handles the bumps and potholes great. I love that the ride isn’t harsh but not bouncy or soft. It is high enough NOT to scrape on driveways...I HATED that from Pcars I’ve owned in the past. Car handles great and firm in track mode. Even if you do not opt for magride that is apparently between tour and sport and very compliant. You can’t go wrong.

It’s honeslly such a good car. If it had a removable top it would be perfect.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #74
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
It’s easier to say “it’s got a lot of the zl1s goodies but not the supercharged lt4”. It’s quite annoying saying “it’s a camaro SS with the same suspension, elsd, recaros,HUD, steering wheel, shifter, NPP exhaust and brakes as the zl1”.

It’s nothing to do with compensating, it’s a matter of what’s easy to explain to people that don’t know. The same way people like to say “my camaro has the same engine as a corvette”. I don’t think anyone has ever said the 1LE is a zl1 without the lt4.

People that don't know wouldn't care less about half the stuff you just mentioned. Again it's a SS with a track handling and brake package. Simple done and to the point.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #75
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
c4racer, if you could care less about about the SS1LE and ZL1, why do you keep talking about it then? I don’t care either as I am fortunate to own a ZL1 coming from a 2SS Camaro and I’m not planning to discuss it anymore! ��
Old 09-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #76
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
c4racer, if you could care less about about the SS1LE and ZL1, why do you keep talking about it then? I don’t care either as I am fortunate to own a ZL1 coming from a 2SS Camaro and I’m not planning to discuss it anymore! ��
Because I am an engineer so it’s a curse that I am curious about all the technical details. Especially when it comes to a track focused package since I have a history of competing in both autox and road racing.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #77
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
The Corvette douche stigma is strong in this part of the country, kind of the opposite of what Op is going through with his Camaro.

I had a C6 I thought was great, when time came to find a replacement I felt more comfortable with the blue collar, mullet Camaro crowd than the matching wardrobe, elitist Corvette club.

I get more positive interactions with the Camaro than I ever did in several years with the Corvette. Corvette seemed to attract all sorts of car "experts" while the Camaro attracts enthusiasts.

This is a regional phenomenon, YMMV.

The Corvette was my first sports car as all my others were muscle car type of vehicles. I really never did feel at home in the C6, though I loved the handling, the light weight, great power/weight ratio, awesome fuel mileage, it just didn't feel like me.

The Camaro was an instant match, real keeper.
That's why they make so many different cars.

OP enjoy your Z06, should be a blast!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #78
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Interesting mix of comments here, I must say.

I do think that it is a regional disposition to a degree. I also largely loathe drag racing and the Camaro has a strong association with straight line prowess and only in recent years with the 5th Gen 1LE and higher has it ascended into the realm of world class handling. The general population doesn’t see it that way, however. While it’s easy for some of you to dismiss the commentary of others around you, it was slowly eating away at me via forums, Facebook, bros in lifted trucks and owners of similar vehicles that would ask me about its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times; while getting annoyed with me over my disregard of such performance metrics.

It doesn’t help that I am no where near a track and that my job keeps me overseas for half the year so, even the track rats would press me for metrics and I wasn’t able to provide them. I just felt like I was in a losing scenario. There’s some life changes now that not only allow me to afford this vehicle but also afford the time to finally track a car. Sure, I could have kept my 1LE but again, there was an itch to get a Corvette, a Z06 specifically. With the itch accompanying my persistent disdain for explanations to bros, I decided to peruse the possibility of getting a C7Z.

Thus, I ended up with one. The irony is now my wife wants one, too. I’m thinking I’ll give her the C7Z and I’ll pick up a C8Z whenever that gets released.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #79
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I do think that it is a regional disposition to a degree. I also largely loathe drag racing and the Camaro has a strong association with straight line prowess and only in recent years with the 5th Gen 1LE and higher has it ascended into the realm of world class handling. The general population doesn’t see it that way, however. While it’s easy for some of you to dismiss the commentary of others around you, it was slowly eating away at me via forums, Facebook, bros in lifted trucks and owners of similar vehicles that would ask me about its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times; while getting annoyed with me over my disregard of such performance metrics.

Meant to post this earlier....

Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #80
USAFS197

Haha. That’s pretty spot on in my area.
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
Sold
Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 PM   #81
c4racer

In my area anybody not driving a Tesla or Volt gets the stink eye.
I especially love burning fuel in my carbed 406 in the 71.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #82
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
There was a lot to explain to folks who didn’t understand the car and my decision for getting it. An uncomfortable number of bros would ask me about its 0-60 and 1/4 miles.
In situations like that, about all you can really say is that "Don't know. Never timed it. Didn't buy this car for that reason". Whether or not it's true. And leave it at that.

Quote:
In the end, it was a bit of a wake up call, I suppose. As much as I loved my 1LE, it was starting to get apparent to me that I was forcing myself into a subgroup that I didn’t want to be a part of.
Are you sure it wasn't a case of letting others make you feel that you had to adjust to suit them? Think carefully, lest the same thing happen again.

Quote:
Also, almost every decent Z06 with a manual transmission was taken within 500-700 miles from my location; my reasonable distance to travel to get the car. The manuals that were left were either an appalling color combination, high mileage, low trim levels or the dealership was unwilling to negotiate on either my trade or the Z06.
When you couldn't find a reasonable deal on a MT Z06 inside that reasonable distance and a MT was a clear preference, what was holding you back from stretching your reasonable distance out a bit further? I realize that you might not be quite as insistent on a MT as somebody like me, but stretching a 700 mile radius out to 1000 would have roughly doubled your search area.

Norm
Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #83
USAFS197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
In situations like that, about all you can really say is that "Don't know. Never timed it. Didn't buy this car for that reason". Whether or not it's true. And leave it at that.

Are you sure it wasn't a case of letting others make you feel that you had to adjust to suit them? Think carefully, lest the same thing happen again.

When you couldn't find a reasonable deal on a MT Z06 inside that reasonable distance and a MT was a clear preference, what was holding you back from stretching your reasonable distance out a bit further? I realize that you might not be quite as insistent on a MT as somebody like me, but stretching a 700 mile radius out to 1000 would have roughly doubled your search area.

Norm
Hey Norm.

When it came to the ownership of the car, it became woefully tedious to explain my rationale, as I mentioned earlier. It wasn’t as though I only fielded that question on occasion, it was a persistent and pesky inquiry that I found myself in the receiving end more times than I’d like, at a frequency that was akin to nails on a chalkboard by this point.

The sale of my vehicle was less of a adjustment to appease them as it would be to relinquish myself of what I construed as a stigma.

I had increased my radius to a larger degree for a while there. I found a great 2018 Z06 2LZ that was the color I wanted, Long Beach Red Metallic, and a M7 that had only 7200 miles on it. It had a great price and it was only 750 miles away. I was a day or two away from pulling the trigger on the car and it was unfortunately sold. As the patience of my wife grew thinner in regards to my pursuit of this car, I reduced my radius to expedite the acquisition of the vehicle if I could secure a deal.

In the end, I’m not super upset thus far. There’s a really strong chance that I’ll wrap the car a different color but, the auto is what it is. I’ll just tune the transmission and hope for the best.
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
Sold
Old 09-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #84
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It's a good commuter car but I hate the FA20.

It was detuned not too long after it came out to prevent too much torque down low, which was causing low-speed preignition knock and rod failure. The end result is a motor with lag as well as no high-end power. The worst of both worlds. One of the worst motors I've ever driven, imo the 2.5 in the '15+ STi is far superior.
Can you see where you're demonstrating exactly the same sort of prejudice that OP had been faced with when he had his SS/1LE?

That when a person's enthusiast focus is NOT on the straightline stuff, it's OK for the straightline crowd to at least imply that the choice of a "not-a-straightline-car-first" was itself somehow "wrong".

It's no big secret that I'm not a straightline guy at all. Never was, not even 50-ish years ago during round 1 of the musclecar wars. So I understand where OP and c4racer might be coming from.

I've had a car with an EJ25, so I have basis in experience for knowing why the FA20 is a better match for me. PS, lag in the EJ is worse, and if I'm dumb enough to drive the car - any car, actually - down where there isn't satisfactory response for the situation at hand . . . well, if it's as easily avoidable as with the FA it's all on me if I get it wrong. I'm OK with that, even if you wouldn't be.

Norm