Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #43
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
New STis will get taken by V6 Camrys, lol... it may have 310 hp but it also has an antiquated AWD system that suck down the power and the gas, makes it suck on the highway, etc.. but it's pretty awesome in the snow and on dirt roads.

I'd get another one, but it'd be an '06-'07 with the motor built for e85.

In many places you're far more likely to get a ticket in a STi vs a Camaro too.
Agreed- the STI's engine and drive train are pretty antiquated. I would never own one given the other choices available today. They still have the 2.5 engine- which I had in my 2011 WRX. I hated that car so much I only owned it a few months. That car guzzled premium gas same as a thirsty V8. 12 around town and 16 on the highway- going a steady 65 MPH. AWD was great and the car sure moved but wow the gas. My 2011 SS even did better and that guzzled gas. The 2.0 in the newer WRX's are so much better engines. My 2016 was pretty fast and nimble and I netted a whopping 40 MPG on a trip once in it going a steady 70 MPH. Average was always 32. That's more than double the 2011!
Old 09-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #44
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I explained earlier why I ended up with an auto. It absolutely was not my first choice and a point of contention for me. My discontent with the auto and with it being black ended up pushing the price of the car further and further down while also increasing my trade in value. The end result is a deal that I just couldn’t pass up.

I had an A8 before and I’ll always lean on technology and raw metrics more than appeasing to purist values. But, if I had better choices, I would have picked up a manual transmission car in almost any other color. But, you can’t order these anymore and I was stuck with what was on the lots.
I also would have sprung only for the 7 speed manual. After the horrendous A8 experience in my 2017 Camaro RS- anything with an A8 in it is a red flag for me, even non GM. And on top of that how much more I like my 2016 Camaro with the M6 than my 2017 with the A8. Night and day difference.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #45
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
To the OP, drive what you like because you are paying for the car and that's all that really matters.

Reject all stereotypes and opinions of others as they are usually expressing jealousy
for not driving the car of their desires.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #46
roger1

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Be aware

Beautiful car!

But be aware of this. Many, many owners of C7 Grand Sports and ZO6s have had wheel cracking issues. They are very POed. Chevrolet will not recognize the problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4223832
2008 Corvette 3LT Coupe, LS3/6spd, Atomic Orange, all stock
roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #47
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Beautiful car!

But be aware of this. Many, many owners of C7 Grand Sports and ZO6s have had wheel cracking issues. They are very POed. Chevrolet will not recognize the problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4223832
Because they think it’s 1965 and they have 14” steel wheels
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #48
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Thanks. I’m actually in northern Florida, near Pensacola. The MSRP on the car was $93,650. I didn’t pay anywhere near that. But, so far, it’s been great. In the five years that I’ve lived here, I’ve only seen two C6Z’s and one C7Z. But there’s a bunch of standard Camaro’s. I’ve seen three 1LE’s besides mine and one ZL1 1LE. It seems that most people intend on buying trucks out there.

And yes, I will track this thing—I’m fully aware of all of the cooling upgrades I will have to do. I’ll also need to get new wheels, too. But now I need to focus on the new pool we just bought and buying my daughter a car, before I mess around with that.
Gotta love that smog rating
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #49
B8TTYVILLEKID

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2 SS
My first post here but I've got to say...... who not choose a freakin Z06 over a Camaro if you could afford it. Greatest front engine muscle car of all time. I just bought my 2nd Camaro and I LOVE IT......but gosh if a Z06 had been in the equation it would not have been had hard choice. My Camaro is certainly the best late model muscle car I have ever owned. My last was a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT I immediately modded the heck out of and voided the warranty. It was a blast driving a 4 door car that could run 10's beat a stock vette in a street race but ultimately the car became a source of too much work. Fun for 10 years but I had to move on. My new camaro is a much better car no doubt, but its no Z06.
B8TTYVILLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #50
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8TTYVILLEKID View Post
My first post here but I've got to say...... who not choose a freakin Z06 over a Camaro if you could afford it. Greatest front engine muscle car of all time. I just bought my 2nd Camaro and I LOVE IT......but gosh if a Z06 had been in the equation it would not have been had hard choice. My Camaro is certainly the best late model muscle car I have ever owned. My last was a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT I immediately modded the heck out of and voided the warranty. It was a blast driving a 4 door car that could run 10's beat a stock vette in a street race but ultimately the car became a source of too much work. Fun for 10 years but I had to move on. My new camaro is a much better car no doubt, but its no Z06.
Totally depends. I have owned 4 Corvettes including a Z06 and I like the 6th Gen SS better as a street car. Corvettes are challenging to park and drive on a regular basis - doors are super long, hood overhang is massive, they are super wide, super low - scrape on literally everything. Camaro is a much more useable car to me.

But to each his own there! I take nothing away from Corvettes - awesome cars - but not a muscle car. They are literally a road race chassis tuned for street use. If that's what you want - especially if you want to track the car a lot - it's a great car. But Corvette is more of a weekend car to me than an everyday car. And even at that I prefer road trips in the Camaro too and so does my wife. So while I love the idea of a Corvette - I just wouldn't want one vs. the Camaro. And it's not a matter of affording one - I could easily do that, although I would have to sell my Porsche.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #51
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
It was more of a sensation that it was guilt by association. Cars and coffee meets, random strangers, friends, coworkers, etc. I loved my car and spoke of it often. To that end, I don’t think it was a singular situation or conversation with a particular person that swayed me, more of a perception thing that slowly drove me away from the vehicle; akin to owning a car that may have a known community where many people have strong ideas about it, like Civics or stanced cars—ultimately with a negative connotation. Being 40, I’m about the right age to get a Corvette anyhow. Granted I should have just retired instead but, I like to buy fancy things. Maybe I’ll just retire in a few years instead (if I can convince the wife).

I guess what I’m trying to convey is that I didn’t really feel as though I fit the mindset of most Camaro owners or what people associated with them. It was entertaining to be a bit different in that regard but it became tiresome and ultimately, I felt uncomfortably displaced.
I honestly don't know what this means. I bought the car for the car, I could give two sh!ts what anyone else thinks or how they act. But to each his own I guess, if you're going to upgrade, this is the one to go with. Time to change that avatar now.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #52
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I honestly don't know what this means. I bought the car for the car, I could give two sh!ts what anyone else thinks or how they act. But to each his own I guess, if you're going to upgrade, this is the one to go with. Time to change that avatar now.
I agree.

Quote:
It was more of a sensation that it was guilt by association. Cars and coffee meets, random strangers, friends, coworkers, etc. I loved my car and spoke of it often. To that end, I don’t think it was a singular situation or conversation with a particular person that swayed me, more of a perception thing that slowly drove me away from the vehicle; akin to owning a car that may have a known community where many people have strong ideas about it, like Civics or stanced cars—ultimately with a negative connotation. Being 40, I’m about the right age to get a Corvette anyhow. Granted I should have just retired instead but, I like to buy fancy things. Maybe I’ll just retire in a few years instead (if I can convince the wife).

I guess what I’m trying to convey is that I didn’t really feel as though I fit the mindset of most Camaro owners or what people associated with them. It was entertaining to be a bit different in that regard but it became tiresome and ultimately, I felt uncomfortably displaced.
OP awesome new car. Hopefully you enjoy driving it and using it as intended. However - you statement above is much what I feel about the Corvette and its community. Its why I never have or will own a Corvette and I am the demographic for that car - 64, gray haired and retired.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #53
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
I will say, it was pretty annoying having to explain what my 19 SS 1LE was over and over again. Always ended with this:

Then: “So basically, it’s a track built SS with a lot of tech taken from the zl1 without the motor/supercharger?
Me: “pretty much”
Them: “why didn’t you just get the zl1 and have it all?”

Left me questioning why didn’t I just get the zl1 and have basically the same handling with a good amount of power. Test drove a zl1 and traded in the 1LE for it. Even got the same color as well.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #54
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
To each their own , I love my 1le but if I could afford a Z06 I would have gotten one. I’m buying the car for me and want the most bang for the buck and the 1le is the most car for me at this price. I’ve gotten plenty of “why didn’t you buy an automatic?”

People are always going to be biased and judge your decisions and purchases but it all come down to what I want.
I’m paying for it so, f*ck their opinions, in the friendliest way possible lol.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #55
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
To the OP, drive what you like because you are paying for the car and that's all that really matters.

Reject all stereotypes and opinions of others as they are usually expressing jealousy
for not driving the car of their desires.
In the case of the SS/1LE, most folks (and apparently more than a few self-described enthusiasts) simply don't understand.

Not the car, not the sort of use that it was aimed at, not even the kind of driver who would buy it specifically because of what it is.

Norm
Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #56
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
It's not that hard to describe. Isn't it basically just a SS with the suspension set-up from the ZL1? Or maybe better way to describe it as a ZL1 with the LT1 engine. More or less anyway.

Similar idea to the C6 Gran Sport - it's a Z06 with the LS3 engine.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote