Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Tire Pressure Dash Readouts

Has anyone had their Tire Pressure readouts in their dashboard read incorrectly?

I checked my tire pressures with a pencil-type tire pressure gauge and the readouts from the gauge were about 4-5lbs less than what the readout on the dashboard was giving me on all 4 tires
Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Move'n Up

Drives: 17 Z06/Z07, 17 2SS Fifty, Ram 2500
Mine is within 1 psi of my tire sensors. Two read almost right on and the other two show 1 psi higher than my gauge. I'm sure that is within spec for the sensors. I have an expensive hand held dial gauge.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
I think that your guage would be off. My TPMS is really close and it would be strange for all four to be wrong at the same time.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
1LEASYE

I was in a rush while I was running Sebring a couple of weekends ago and left my tire pressures about 30/31 psi on all for wheels and didn't realize it until right before happy hour (5th session) and this is on top of driving my car 12-13 hours/800 miles each way to and from the track.

I really noticed my driver's side rear tire went from 30 psi all the way to 22psi a few days later and after pumping the air back up to about 31/32 psi, the pressure drops steadily over 48 hours down to 22/23 psi so I am also wondering if I damaged my beads/inner liner in the that tire leaving the tire pressure too high when i ran my sessions at Sebring?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Uncle Sam

You should be around 35 lbs. hot right after a track session. For me this usually bleeds down to 28 lbs. cold but if you are really heating up the tires it could go lower after you leave the track. For the first session on a cool morning I start at 30 lbs. and adjust throughout the day, that's a little high, though.

You will get asymmetric pressures on a course that turns more one way than the other so adjusting before driving home is a good idea.

You should check pressures immediately after every session. Also, check wheel nut torque before going out. It's only a few minutes to be sure.

I don't know about bead damage. Did you check for a nail? Not uncommon for very sticky tires to pick up road debris.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
1LEASYE

I actually did torque down the wheel nuts before the day started but was running behind for the driver's meeting and forgot about the tire pressures as my microsd card was messing up and had to get a quick workaround to reformat it.

Most of the debris I picked between traveling and tracking at Sebring looks like it was mostly from interstate driving and I wouldn't be surprised if I picked something up on my tires from I-4 around Orlando. I have driving on every road from Baltimore to Tampa but never around Orlando and that was the worst laid out and dirtiest road I've ever seen south of D.C.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEASYE View Post
Has anyone had their Tire Pressure readouts in their dashboard read incorrectly?

I checked my tire pressures with a pencil-type tire pressure gauge and the readouts from the gauge were about 4-5lbs less than what the readout on the dashboard was giving me on all 4 tires
My dashboard read out sent by the TPMS reads 3 psi higher than my high quality mechanical gauge. Obviously, I take the measurements 1st thing in the morning, cold tire. I trust my mechanical gauge vs TPMS
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Get a quality pressure gauge - I'd say a pencil gauge (I used to use one too) is better suited to a bicycle.

I've not heard of someone damaging a tire from excess pressure - unless it exploded (see youtube).

My dash read out is pretty close, but I rely on my Intercomp dial gauge for specifics.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I have a BluePoint digital tire gauge that is calibrated, was calibrated June of 2018 right before I left my previous job as a instrumentation/test technician, and one of my sets, my right side and left front sensors read 1 psi lower than my gauge. My left rear reads 2psi lower. The set on my OEM wheels reads dead on.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The dashboard TPMS readouts in my SS 1LE have consistently read 0-1 PSI high versus my Joe's tire pressure gauge.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #11
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Mine run closely to within a pound I'd say but I only refer to TPMS to tell me when I have a serious situation happening and use a quality gauge for reading PSI.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Did you have new tires put on recently or swapped placement of fronts or rears?

If you didn't relearn the TPMS sensors, they could be reading accurately, just displaying incorrect placement on your dash.

i.e. Old tire on left front gets replaced with new tire, but installed on right front side(with original TPMS sensor that still thinks it is in left front position)
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
Uncle Sam

BTW, 1LEASYE, did you drive from central Virginia to drive Sebring? Props to you!

Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #14
1LEASYE

I'll be getting new front tires (and possibly a driver's rear tire) this weekend along with a new gauge since I thought I could still rely on the older pencil style gauge but that isn't the case anymore.

Quote:
BTW, 1LEASYE, did you drive from central Virginia to drive Sebring? Props to you!
I like to drive and have always been a road warrior either for work or for fun and feel like I get full use out of the car plus you do not see many people drive those distances for any type of track days anymore (road course, drag strip etc.) and I always felt that it was a waste to make just an overbearing car just for a track toy only and it meant more to drive a high horsepower/track setup car to and from a track when most people truck and trailer their cars that are at least street legal cars plus with the impeding electric/hybrid cars coming, we don't know what the future will hold.

I want to drive as far as COTA and Road America but that is my cut off points, I'd like to run Sonoma and Laguna Seca but with those noise restrictions, I feel like it would be a waste of time and money to either truck and trailer or ship my car across the continent to run those tracks.