Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
Borla Exhaust

Anyone have the Borla S-type axle back on their SS? I am thinking about replacing my NPP with the Borla and would like opinions on how it sounds. I have heard sound clips and it sounds pretty good (not too loud or raspy). Thanks!
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
FL2018-1SS

Drives: 2018 1SS
I didn't start with NPP but went with S type axlebacks and then added the mid and x pipes to it. The S type is quiet at idle and when just cruising down the highway no drone. When you get on it you can hear the deep growl from a V8. In my mind its the perfect blend.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
The answer I was looking for and thanks!
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I just had the ATAK installed and it sounds really deep already. Just how much deeper does the S-Type sound?
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
I had the S Type on my 2016 and the sound was perfect.

Less raspy that the Atak.

I did have an ongoing issue, the rear NPP valves would start squeaking after a few months, I had them swapped out around 3-4 times, each time the issue would come back.

I was kinda glad I traded my 2016 in for that reason.

I would love to have that sound on my 2017, but I lost confidence in Borla after my experience.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 AM   #6
cheeze9878

Drives: 17 camaro ss
I have the S-Type on my "17 SS with NPP, to me it sounds like a American car where the ATAK sounds to much like a rice burner garbage ride
cheeze9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
enzia35

Very short clip from my cell. It's in a parking garage, sorry.

https://youtu.be/sEqktJRy97g

This is the Borla 60607 midpipes and the 11925 ATAK axleback with NPP.

Some weird audio issues at the start. Cold start up in Tour mode, and you can hear the switch to Sport at :12. I revved it to about 3k. The system was installed today, so not even 100 miles yet.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeze9878 View Post
I have the S-Type on my "17 SS with NPP, to me it sounds like a American car where the ATAK sounds to much like a rice burner garbage ride
No style of muffler can make an LT1 sound like a rice burner.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
I removed an NPP and installed an ATAK NPP recently. I regret the decision and it was not worth spending the money. Even buying the part used at half of retail.

I bought the Borla axle back used, so I don't really have any options to make a warranty claim. But I have an insane rattle with the Borla that I never had with the stock NPP. It is driving me insane. I need to get under the car to find out what's going on but I have not yet had time.

The sound changed a lot, and I was not expecting it to sound so different. The sound is very much only a baritone sound. All of the higher frequency "rasp" or "scream" character of the stock NPP is gone. I was expecting the more baritone exhaust note, but not to this degree. IMO, the car no longer sounds unique. It has a tone that is too similar to a Mustang or Challenger. The original NPP sound was very unique and I don't think there was another car out there that sounded like the Camaro. I think this is kind of a bummer.

On the positive side, there is no drone. It's very livable in any of the NPP modes. It only makes itself known when you hammer the throttle. This is definitely what I wanted to maintain. I felt the stock NPP did a great job with this same behavior as well.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post
I removed an NPP and installed an ATAK NPP recently. I regret the decision and it was not worth spending the money. Even buying the part used at half of retail.

I bought the Borla axle back used, so I don't really have any options to make a warranty claim. But I have an insane rattle with the Borla that I never had with the stock NPP. It is driving me insane. I need to get under the car to find out what's going on but I have not yet had time.

The sound changed a lot, and I was not expecting it to sound so different. The sound is very much only a baritone sound. All of the higher frequency "rasp" or "scream" character of the stock NPP is gone. I was expecting the more baritone exhaust note, but not to this degree. IMO, the car no longer sounds unique. It has a tone that is too similar to a Mustang or Challenger. The original NPP sound was very unique and I don't think there was another car out there that sounded like the Camaro. I think this is kind of a bummer.

On the positive side, there is no drone. It's very livable in any of the NPP modes. It only makes itself known when you hammer the throttle. This is definitely what I wanted to maintain. I felt the stock NPP did a great job with this same behavior as well.
How much louder is it than the NPP in track mode? Most people want to get rid of the rasp, but i'm with you, i sorta like it
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
How much louder is it than the NPP in track mode? Most people want to get rid of the rasp, but i'm with you, i sorta like it
I just installed the ATAK NPP and midpipes that keep the 2nd cats. It's still being broken in, not even 100 miles on it yet.

Install: Brought it to a shop and they had it done in an hour. Cut off from the 2nd cats and dropped the whole exhaust. Clamped on easily and the tips look great.

Start-up: It's louder especially on a cold start.

Tour: Tour mode is slightly louder than stock NPP Sport/Track.

Sport/Track: Here's where it shines. It's loud and the best part, for me, is it's only loud on the outside. Absolutely ZERO drone inside the cabin. Even with the windows down, the exhaust is still loud but nothing unpleasant to the ears.

Cruising around: I love it. I was hoping that the noise inside the cabin wouldn't increase, from watching the videos from Borla. The cabin noise is about stock, albeit with a slight more rumble that I feel in the feet.

All in all, I'm pretty sad that I waited 3 years to do this. Biggest downside is MSRP is over $2000 for a catback set up.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by retmil View Post
Anyone have the Borla S-type axle back on their SS? I am thinking about replacing my NPP with the Borla and would like opinions on how it sounds. I have heard sound clips and it sounds pretty good (not too loud or raspy). Thanks!

I installed the Borla S-type axle backs on my SS. My car has the NPP option, however, I choose the Borla's without that option for simplicity and I did not think I needed the dual mode. I taped up the NPP connections, tucked each side up out of the way and wire-tied to the harness.

The S-type have a nice growl at idle and with a decent rumble when accelerating. Not as aggressive as the ATAK.
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post

For your rattle issue, you might check the clearance between the right side Borla muffler inlet pipe to the sway bar. It is close. When I installed my Borlas I had to make several adjustments on the right side to get the tips aligned and have adequate clearance from the sway bar. The left side was no issue at all.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Great tip, KLG! Thanks. I will check that this weekend. The noise seems to come from the right side so I hope you might be on to something.

I can agree with everything enzia said. The ATAK is not too loud. It seems just about right. I didn't want something stupid loud. I was worried the ATAK was going to be too loud, but I'm definitely happy that it seems to be just right in that department.