Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Anyone ever had their pads catch fire?

I threw a new set of AC Delco pads on my 2018 SS 1LE and headed to Watkins Glen for another track day. On the way there I was able to burnish them nicely due to no traffic on I88. I followed my tried and true procedure as suggested by AP Racing, 10 stops from 60-5 mph in succession and then allowing for cooldown and then you're good to go.

The brakes felt great my first session out. No noise, no excessive dust etc., but probably 10 laps into the second session I get the black flag with a dot and I'm told that a flagger saw flames coming from my front wheels. I haven't taken anything apart yet, but looking through the wheels nothing really looked out of place. So I hung it up for the day and drove the 3 hours home without issue just to be safe.

Moral of the story is, AC Delco is NOT the same quality as the OE Pads.
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
My Power stop track day pads will smoke pretty bad if I don’t give them a cool down ... they keep stopping me well though so I keep using them and just make sure I do adequate cool down before parking it... I wonder if they saw fire or just smoke ... fire would be nuts.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
NEZL1

Drives: ZL1 1LE
yeah... no shit. Autozone is not the place for race car parts.
NEZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #4
KeithO

Drives: 01 Z28, 1990 NASCAR Busch North Car
I used to road race 4th gen f-bodies. Often after the first or second session after putting on new front hub assemblies, they would catch fire but it looked like the brakes were on fire.

What was happening was the grease in the bearings was overheating, turning to liquid, dripping onto the rotors and catching fire.

I used to tell people I was so fast my wheels are on fire. Funny to say but usually those hubs didn't last very long because they no longer had any lubrication.

Might or might not be what is happening here.
KeithO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Tim M

AC Delco's are different than OEM? Weren't they just relabeled Brembo / Ferodo's?

I've had sparks, but no fire. I've seen where pieces of rubber flames a bit...but not on my car.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Whenever I order replacement OE pads they always come in an ACDelco box. It's the same part number. I've used probably 10 sets of front pads without issues. Probably your brakes were just smoking a bit, I think you would really know if they were on fire. Unless there is something else going on like a stuck caliper or blocked brake duct.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'm pretty sure ACDelco pads are the exact same as what comes on from the factory and shouldn't have any issue with smoke or fire while running. Would be very surprised if this is the pads. I've only seen visible smoke if they're hot and come to a complete stop.

Did you by chance grease the pads before you put them in? If so, take them back apart and clean all the grease off. Don't want that for these calipers. I'd also give the seals and stuff a good once-over and make sure everything's torqued down to spec to check that you're not leaking brake fluid anywhere as brake fluid can flash and do the same thing. Past that, my only guess would be something binding or being blocked like R3ctivision said.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I used these pads for almost 2 years without issues. I order by the ACDelco # for best price. If you had flames with these pads something is wrong, get it inspected. Bedding procedure for these is in the track prep guide
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Oh boy, let's clarify some things here. Brake pad materially cannot catch on fire. That would be ridiculous, for reasons that are hopefully obvious. However, when you're really working them hard, they can expel some flames and/or glowing material when you apply the brakes hard. As soon as you let off the brakes, it will stop. This isn't a danger in any way, and I'm sorry the OP got screwed out of a track day by people who don't have the technical expertise to evaluate the situation.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
ZL1Kraut

Thanks for the replies guys!

I didn't have any tools to take anything apart at the track so I just said better safe than sorry.

It was 2 flaggers that said they saw visible flames coming from the front wheels. I thought that would have been possible during the initial bed in procedure, but not after that. Again they didn't feel bad at all and I did make it home over 3 hours without issue.

I'm thinking I will buy the Brembo/Ferodo branded ones and see how that goes. I did 2 tracks days and 10,000 miles and those were great. I'm thinking that the AC Delco branded ones are different, I just don't know how.

I'll post up pictures of the pads when I take it apart. From the outside of the wheel they look like there is plenty left to them.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
AC delco has different options for pads and rotors ie orginal, gold, silver, etc. AC delco original replacements are in fact the stock brembo pads the car came with.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
carguy55

If it's dark you can see red hot glowing rotors and glowing brake material being shot out, but never flames.

If something gets stuck or breaks it's possible for the assembly to catch fire. Did a brake pad get put in backwards?

Old 09-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #13
carguy55

This night pic shows how hot brakes can get on track
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #14
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
If it's dark you can see red hot glowing rotors and glowing brake material being shot out, but never flames.

If something gets stuck or breaks it's possible for the assembly to catch fire. Did a brake pad get put in backwards?

Pads were definitely installed correctly, I’ve been a tech for 20 years and a shop over for 6, so no issues with installation.

I’m not sure what “grade” the pads were, but the part number is 17D1405M

I honestly don’t think they were on fire either, but I did t have any tools with me and a 3 hour ride home so I didn’t want to **** around. Keep in mind I had an oil pump failure on my 2017 ZL1 last year that left me stranded so I sure you guys understand.