Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Signed up for my first track day

I signed up for my first track day, going to Sebring on 10/3. My coworker drives a 17 GT350 and has been there several times now and keeps bugging me to give it a try. Really looking forward to it.
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Number one rule of advice from someone who remembers the first time about 5 years ago, trust and listen to your instructor period. Mine had me taking some really odd lines around the track, which was his way of letting me learn how to drive off line to see you can still go fairly quickly and when the time comes for solo driving I know the whole track. Put you ego to the side. Pull down with the right hand, pull down with the left hand for corresponding turns. I did so much with my right arm I almost couldn't lift it that afternoon. Learn to look ahead, my instructor has drilled me like a drill instructor about that, keep you eyes up and down let your mirrors scare you. He/she will tell you when to give others the pass.
The first time was overwhelming for me, but the next time I came back, it was game on. Have fun and best of luck! I finally get to go to Roebling Road in November, it's been almost two years.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Z28GTOSSMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Number one rule of advice from someone who remembers the first time about 5 years ago, trust and listen to your instructor period. Mine had me taking some really odd lines around the track, which was his way of letting me learn how to drive off line to see you can still go fairly quickly and when the time comes for solo driving I know the whole track. Put you ego to the side. Pull down with the right hand, pull down with the left hand for corresponding turns. I did so much with my right arm I almost couldn't lift it that afternoon. Learn to look ahead, my instructor has drilled me like a drill instructor about that, keep you eyes up and down let your mirrors scare you. He/she will tell you when to give others the pass.
The first time was overwhelming for me, but the next time I came back, it was game on. Have fun and best of luck! I finally get to go to Roebling Road in November, it's been almost two years.
Thanks for all the good advice. I'm looking forward to learning a lot and having some fun in the process.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Make sure to read some of the post to see what to bring. Make sure you stay hydrated.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
Z28GTOSSMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Make sure to read some of the post to see what to bring. Make sure you stay hydrated.
I have read through all the suggestions on the Chin website and my coworker has given me a pretty good idea what to expect. He too told me to bring a cooler with plenty of water.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
^ Definitely! I think I may have been getting dehydrated not realizing how much you ned to drink.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
I have read through all the suggestions on the Chin website and my coworker has given me a pretty good idea what to expect. He too told me to bring a cooler with plenty of water.
Hi Mike, Glad you're looking to get into the sport... Be ready to be hooked!! CHIN is a great club, with usually all great cars from my experience. There have been threads posted about prep on our own forum here as well. In addition to what you may have read, I'd recommend (helps some/others not) watching a couple (current) youtube videos to at least see the layout of the track so you know whats around the next corner. The very first time I was on a track I spent more time focusing on the tracks layout than concentrating and absorbing the instructors input initially because I was "lost" (Lots of elev changes and blind corners). I honestly find this helps me even still at this point when I am hitting up a "new to me" track. But don't take whomever you're watchings video as absolute concrete and turn around and be a know it all either, listen to the instructor first and foremost, he's the one that will get you to the next level. You can do it your way, or the coworker's way, or whoever's video way, once you are soloed. Haha

Ps... Also, as good as gaming has evolved, it's not the real deal. (Not saying you do, just a general statement)
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)

Last edited by driven2exceSS; 08-05-2020 at 09:24 AM.
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
foto1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2002 Honda CR-V
Awesome! I'm signing up for my first one too - August 15 at PBIR. I might see you at Sebring sometime because I really want to learn that track.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Z28GTOSSMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Hi Mike, Glad you're looking to get into the sport... Be ready to be hooked!! CHIN is a great club, with usually all great cars from my experience. There have been threads posted about prep on own own forum here as well. In addition to what you may have read, I'd recommend (helps some/others not) watching a couple (current) youtube videos to at least see the layout of the track so you know whats around the next corner. The very first time I was on a track I spent more time focusing on the tracks layout than concentrating and absorbing the instructors input initially because I was "lost"(Lots of elev changes and blind corners). I honestly find this helps me even still at this point when I am hitting up a "new to me" track. But don't take whomever you're watchings video as absolute concrete and turn around and be a know it all either, listen to the instructor first and foremost, he's the one that will get you to the next level. You can do it your way, or the coworker's way, or whoever's video way, once you are soloed. Haha

Ps... Also, as good as gaming has evolved, it's not the real deal. (Not saying you do, just a general statement)
Funny you should mention gaming because my coworker loaned me his X-Box...not sure which game is loaded as I am not a "Gamer" at all...but is has the Sebring raceway on it so I can at the very least get used to the layout of the track. He said it actually helped him get familiar with the track before he went for the first time. I'm not expecting to actually learn how to drive the track...that's what the instructor is for...just hope to get a little familiar with the track layout.

As far as turning into a know it all, i'm a pretty humble person by nature and have always prided myself on knowing when to listen to people that know more than me.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
Funny you should mention gaming because my coworker loaned me his X-Box...not sure which game is loaded as I am not a "Gamer" at all...but is has the Sebring raceway on it so I can at the very least get used to the layout of the track. He said it actually helped him get familiar with the track before he went for the first time. I'm not expecting to actually learn how to drive the track...that's what the instructor is for...just hope to get a little familiar with the track layout.

As far as turning into a know it all, i'm a pretty humble person by nature and have always prided myself on knowing when to listen to people that know more than me.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
Z28GTOSSMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by foto1LE View Post
Awesome! I'm signing up for my first one too - August 15 at PBIR. I might see you at Sebring sometime because I really want to learn that track.
Have fun at PBIR. I'll keep an eye out for your comments after you go.