Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
GenSix2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Arrow GM's Dexos Gen 2 Full-Synthetic Oil vs Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic Oil?

Good morning,

I'm getting my first oil change today on my new Camaro SS. When talking with my Chevy Service Advisor and asking him about which oil to use he recommended I use GM's new Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil, which is apparently GM's new standard oil used at Chevrolet dealerships as of start of the 2017 year.

Do any of you have any advice on using this GM full-synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil vs Mobil 1 full-synthetic oil?

The service advisor said he is a big fan of GM's new oil (even on performance vehicles) and Mobil 1 would be "overkill" for the car because I'm not planning to track it. He also said he only usually recommends Mobil 1 for performance cars with the dry-sump system or if they are going to be used on the track. Additionally, I believe the price difference between the two is around $40ish dollars but hey, maybe it's completely worth it for long-term vehicle health?

Any advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by GenSix2SS; 03-21-2017 at 08:43 AM.
GenSix2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Dexos Gen 2 is a standard, not a single model of oil. To clarify, Dexos 1 Gen 2, supersedes Dexos 1. This is different than the Dexos 2 GM recommends for LT1/LT4 track use.

Here's a list of Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/
Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The service advisor should read the owners manual.....

Quote:
Ask for and use engine oils that meet the Dexos 1 specification. Engine oils that have been approved by GM as meeting the dexos1 specification are marked with the Dexos 1 approved logo.
And...

Quote:
Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil.
Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used.
And...

Quote:
Caution
Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.
Generally speaking; Dexos 1 is GM's standard for gas engine oil....Dexos 2 is diesel and Euro gas engine oil. There are exceptions for track use...but use 5w-30 oil, any of those that is Dexos 1 approved will work well in your engine.

Perhaps the Service Advisory was taken out of context or misunderstood...but as I read that original post...he's clueless.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
GenSix2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Ok, I follow what your saying but those points in mind, what would you recommend... Dexos vs Mobil 1? @ryephile @Mr.Wynham
Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Your ovrr thinking this: any oil that meets the dexos 2 and is 5-30 will be fine. That spec has such high quality standards that unless you are tracking the car you will not notice a difference.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
tchowe

Drives: 2017 V6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Dexos Gen 2 is a standard, not a single model of oil.
That may be true, but GM also reformulated their Dexos 1 standard oil at the start of this year to be fully synthetic, so maybe the service adviser is just getting his terminology mixed up?
tchowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
From what I was told by GM themselves is that Dexos (bulk) is a synthetic similar to that of Mobil1. I'm very big for mobil1, but with the two free ones I ended up doing the dexos as again, I was told met the same requirements/ similarity.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenSix2SS View Post
Ok, I follow what your saying but those points in mind, what would you recommend... Dexos vs Mobil 1? @ryephile @Mr.Wynham

Dexos is GM's branded dealer bulk oil. You can buy it at a dealer...but as I understand it...recently, the Dexos bulk oil composition (at dealerships) has been switched from a blend to full synthetic...and it's manufactured by Exxon Mobil. Read between the lines.

So...if those are you're two choices, get two jugs of Mobil 1 5w-30 @ $25.00 a jug. You'll save yourself 50 bucks and have a very high quality oil in the engine.

Recap:

Dexos1 = GM's gas engine/Stateside oil certification standard. Most 5w-30 synthetics, and most blends for sale in the auto parts store will have the "Dexos 1" stamp on the bottle.

Dexos2 = GMs diesel/Euro oil certification standard. Less common to find in the States, unless they are oils designed for diesel engines. Contains different additive packages for emissions.

Dexos = GM's generic branded synthetic oil bought in bulk by dealerships.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchowe View Post
That may be true, but GM also reformulated their Dexos 1 standard oil at the start of this year to be fully synthetic, so maybe the service adviser is just getting his terminology mixed up?
I can't answer that. It's plausible that the reformulated Dexos 1 became Dexos 1 Gen 2.

--->GenSix2SS: Mobil 1 full-syn 5W-30 is on the Dexos 1 Gen 2 list, so if that's what they're offering, then it's fine. As long as they're using an oil that's on the list, you're fine. I know dealerships aren't the easiest to get straight info out of. Have them show you the drum with the label on it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenSix2SS View Post
Good morning,

I'm getting my first oil change today on my new Camaro SS. When talking with my Chevy Service Advisor and asking him about which oil to use he recommended I use GM's new Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil, which is apparently GM's new standard oil used at Chevrolet dealerships as of start of the 2017 year.

Do any of you have any advice on using this GM full-synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil vs Mobil 1 full-synthetic oil?

The service advisor said he is a big fan of GM's new oil (even on performance vehicles) and Mobil 1 would be "overkill" for the car because I'm not planning to track it. He also said he only usually recommends Mobil 1 for performance cars with the dry-sump system or if they are going to be used on the track. Additionally, I believe the price difference between the two is around $40ish dollars but hey, maybe it's completely worth it for long-term vehicle health?

Any advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
People here are getting a little off track..LOL.

My thoughts are the new full synthetic Dexos oil will be fine.

I would use the two free oil changes and when it's time to pay look at going to Mobile 1

There is a post here on the forum about GM moving to full synthetic from someone that works at the Chevy Service Center that talks about the new oil. Do a search and read, it has some good information
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
OP, you might consider that there are better things to spend your hard earned money on, rather than paying the dealer a premium for a Mobil 1 oil change. Any motor oil on the Dexos 1 or Dexos 1 Gen 2 list on GMDexos.com will work. Full Synthetic dealer oil spec'd Dexos 1 Gen 2 as a free oil change is a really good deal. As mentioned earlier; get your 2 free changes then go from there.

FWIW The owners manual states xW40 Dexos 2 for tracking. From what i can gather, Dexos 2 is a diesel engine oil spec and also used in the EU. My guess, and highlight guess, is that tracking required more viscosity to deal with heat. Dexos 1 does not have any xW40 oils on the list that are avialable in the USA, so GM spec'd a Dexos 2 oil for that, since that list has xW40 listed.
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post
OP, you might consider that there are better things to spend your hard earned money on, rather than paying the dealer a premium for a Mobil 1 oil change. Any motor oil on the Dexos 1 or Dexos 1 Gen 2 list on GMDexos.com will work. Full Synthetic dealer oil spec'd Dexos 1 Gen 2 as a free oil change is a really good deal. As mentioned earlier; get your 2 free changes then go from there.

FWIW The owners manual states xW40 Dexos 2 for tracking. From what i can gather, Dexos 2 is a diesel engine oil spec and also used in the EU. My guess, and highlight guess, is that tracking required more viscosity to deal with heat. Dexos 1 does not have any xW40 oils on the list that are avialable in the USA, so GM spec'd a Dexos 2 oil for that, since that list has xW40 listed.
x1,000,000 Very well said !
Old 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
one R

Drives: 2017 1ss
when I did a " break in " oil change around 1600 miles ( yeah I know some do ,some dont ) I didnt care to have to convince the dealer to give me one of my free changes with over 80% still showing on my oil life . Seems many dealers are resistant to do no cost oil change until you hit X amount of miles , or somewhere around 20% left in the oil life monitor .
So I bought (2) 5 quart jugs of Mobile 1 synthetic and a new filter and changed it myself . The mobile 1 has the 2dexos approval right there on the label ! the oil was on sale 23.99 per 5 quart jug .. makes me wonder about the $40 upcharge for mobile 1 .
And yes I will probaly still take the car in and have them do the next 2 ( no cost ) oil changes . Letting them use the no added cost 2dextos oil.
one R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #14
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
I had first freebie at 1100 miles. SA raised an eyebrow. I just said, I know, you want me to put more miles on; I am old school and also don't know how long the oil has ben in the crankcase. Would like to start new. There was no problem getting them to do the oil change.

Just did my own oil and filter change last week; I wanted to check out the Ultimate Durability Quaker State Full Synthetic. Have been reading a lot of good things. Looking to see if consumption drops off a little with this vs the syn blend the dealer put in last fall. I will do my 2nd free change with the dealer at the end of summer or 5k miles whatever cones first.
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote