Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
The importance of a catch can

I ran across this great article that explains what this very simple little device does for some of the folks that might not be familiar with them. They will not void your warranty and simply help protect your engine. Definitely something you'll be glad you installed if you plan on keeping your car a long time. When it comes time to part ways with your Camaro, it will certainly be viewed as a positive sign by anyone inspecting it.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/ditch-...ate-1634156554

IMO it should be the first thing you add to your car after purchase. You'll be shocked how much oil it collects the first time you empty it...oil that would have been shot into your intake manifold if it wasn't there.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
This is a MUST on a direct injected engine. Mine will get one right away...

Other things that help are running good, fully synthetic oil and doing changes at lower mileage intervals, as well as always running top tier premium gasoline with additives and cleaners.

Last edited by SS 1LE; 01-21-2016 at 10:27 AM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Interestingly the SAE publication on gen v combustion from GM states the majority of coking is from burnt gases entering the intake port during overlap. Their cam design apparently was influenced by this theory. Camaro team adding a catch can is interesting, and to add further a second can that people are adding.

I would like to see the rate the after market can fills up.

edit: BTW the gen v engines have been in the hands of vendors for over 2.5 years.(which should start to provide long term testing results) the vendor making the catch can here is mostly known to be player for other manufacturers. I haven't been able to see how much experience they have with LT1 vettes, if any. There might be many vendors with a 2.5 year head start.

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 01-21-2016 at 09:30 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Interestingly the SAE publication on gen v combustion from GM states the majority of coking is from burnt gases entering the intake port during overlap. Their cam design apparently was influenced by this theory. Camaro team adding a catch can is interesting, and to add further a second can that people are adding.

I agree, is there anyone who has installed an aftermarket can that can testify to its usefulness.
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
We were doing our throttle body test last week and during the throttle body swap we found this in the manifold.... The car has 90 miles on it and the manifold is already coated in oil....

We decided to get a catch-can on it IMMEDIATELY so we installed an Elite catch-can.

This isn't going to be the location we put the production unit in but it works for now. We're fabricating a bracket now and we'll have them available soon.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
This is a MUST on a direct injected engine. Mine will get one right away...

Other things that help are running good, fully synthetic oil and doing changes at lower milage intervals, as well as always running top tier premium gasoline with additives and cleaners.
Agreed! Prevention of oil entry into the manifold is an excellent way to prevent valve buildups and retain engine power over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post

edit: BTW the gen v engines have been in the hands of vendors for over 2.5 years.(which should start to provide long term testing results) the vendor making the catch can here is mostly known to be player for other manufacturers. I haven't been able to see how much experience they have with LT1 vettes, if any. There might be many vendors with a 2.5 year head start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
I agree, is there anyone who has installed an aftermarket can that can testify to its usefulness.
Below is an image of what we collected within 1100 miles.

Quite substantial!

Our direct-fit kit addresses the PCV circuit of the engine, which we've found to produce a good amount of fluid. The factory LT1 includes an AOS system for the breather circuit of the CCV system, yet the PCV-side is not addresses.

For more information about the factory system and the development of our kit, check out the thread below.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433058

We are currently running a discounted pre-sale (Details within page 3) with our first batch of orders shipping out next week.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
6spdhyperblue

That is a lot of oil! Do we know that the oil will turn into coking or just provide top end oiling?

I have over 60,000 miles on my 2014 silverado im tempted to see what the valve bowls look like.'

are there any images of intake bowls from high mileage gen v engines?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Agreed! Prevention of oil entry into the manifold is an excellent way to prevent valve buildups and retain engine power over time.

Below is an image of what we collected within 1100 miles.

Quite substantial!

Our direct-fit kit addresses the PCV circuit of the engine, which we've found to produce a good amount of fluid. The factory LT1 includes an AOS system for the breather circuit of the CCV system, yet the PCV-side is not addresses.

For more information about the factory system and the development of our kit, check out the thread below.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433058

We are currently running a discounted pre-sale (Details within page 3) with our first batch of orders shipping out next week.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Thanks
-John
I was waiting for a proof that Gen6 actually needs one. I thought factory took care of this issue, but after reading your thread, I was waiting to see how much you collect oil on your test unit.
You got me with that picture. That's a lot of oil for 1100 miles.
I'm going to order one right now.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Yeah, I just ordered a Mishimoto catch can right now also after seeing this. Literally just a few minutes ago.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
6spdhyperblue

proof is coking on the intake bowl on a stock gen v...

I will order one today if someone can show that.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Guys, even if a catch can only caught a few table spoons of oil in between oil changes, for the low cost of adding one, not adding one makes no sense...every little bit helps with direct injection.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Ok, I really have to ask before I buy this car, if the catch can is really this important why wasn't one designed and built for the car from General Motors?

If this is an inherent problem with all direct injected engines, shouldn't there be something from the manufacturers to correct this?

What happens over time if a catch can is not installed? Will I have check engine codes and a poorly functioning intake system? Does it decrease engine life? Smoking/burning or using oil or carbon build up in the valves?

I plan on keeping my car well over 100,000 miles. Probably closer to 200,000. It will be my everyday driver and I don't intend on buying another new car any time soon after buying the Camaro.

This whole catch can stuff has me leery about DI engines in general.

I'm used to just changing the oil every 7500 miles and the engine just runs to well over 200k miles with no issues and nothing else to worry about.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
At what intervals do you keep checking how much oil is caught by the can... Also, I am assuming all that oil goes to the dump,is that correct... Sorry I am ignorant of this stuff...
Old 01-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
Blacksapphire

Drives: 2ss/rs 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Ok, I really have to ask before I buy this car, if the catch can is really this important why wasn't one designed and built for the car from General Motors?

If this is an inherent problem with all direct injected engines, shouldn't there be something from the manufacturers to correct this?

What happens over time if a catch can is not installed? Will I have check engine codes and a poorly functioning intake system? Does it decrease engine life? Smoking/burning or using oil or carbon build up in the valves?

I plan on keeping my car well over 100,000 miles. Probably closer to 200,000. It will be my everyday driver and I don't intend on buying another new car any time soon after buying the Camaro.

This whole catch can stuff has me leery about DI engines in general.

I'm used to just changing the oil every 7500 miles and the engine just runs to well over 200k miles with no issues and nothing else to worry about.
Not going to lie I have been on the fence about buying one as well... If you plan on driving it for 200k miles it's probably better to be safe rather than sorry. I honestly don't know and obviously everyone on this website has their beliefs and stand by them firmly whether they are right or wrong. I just ordered one because I want to keep this car for a long time too. But at the end of the day it's up to you, no matter how much you research it you're going to get a bunch of different answers. Good luck.
Blacksapphire is offline   Reply With Quote