Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #169
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
I'm not sure.

There was just an overwhelming theme to the thread that vilified meth even to the point of in my opinion being disingenuous.

Meth solves 1 big problem, cleans the valves. So no more DI oil build up. That plus the chemical intercooling to me way outweighs the downsides.

The picture showing meth rusting the intake charge. You'd think the pieces are soaked in the stuff. It is a mist, in a tube where air is moving at a huge rate of speed, plus meth evaporates nearly instantly at room temp. So what exactly is eating away at the metal?

I would bet and this is probably more accurate that the picture shows a leak around the nozzle where it did eat away at the finish because it was wet with meth. A condition of a seal failure, not the fact they had meth on the car.

Not to mention if you don't have a good evac system your intake tube is most likely coated in oil anyways.

PD Blowers seem to have a bigger following here. In the Corvette world it is Centri's because they are so inexpensive in comparison. Tons of people run meth without issues.

If I had the choice today to run meth, or run a bigger fuel system at the exact same price, I'd run meth.
I think the premise of this statement happens a lot on all forums, and I agree with you on it as well. You get people that have an experience one time with a certain set up and they condem the entire idea, or make blanket statements that it will happen every time. Kind of like making a blanket statement on what HP range everyone's car will run out of fuel when there are tons doing more, and a lot of variables behind a dyno HP number. Not a good test point to point out a fuel systems weakness on. If I did that in my job, none of my customers would be using Ultra Lean Burn engines because one burned to the ground from high exhaust temps and an oil leak on the exhaust manifold. I don't steer people away from them because of one even though, a trend of events is a different story.
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #170
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
I think the premise of this statement happens a lot on all forums, and I agree with you on it as well. You get people that have an experience one time with a certain set up and they condem the entire idea, or make blanket statements that it will happen every time. Kind of like making a blanket statement on what HP range everyone's car will run out of fuel when there are tons doing more, and a lot of variables behind a dyno HP number. Not a good test point to point out a fuel systems weakness on. If I did that in my job, none of my customers would be using Ultra Lean Burn engines because one burned to the ground from high exhaust temps and an oil leak on the exhaust manifold. I don't steer people away from them because of one even though, a trend of events is a different story.
I'll have to find the explanation on the fuel issue. As I said, not an expert but good at repeating things

It was not so much running out of fuel. The overall system could provide enough, it was the injector pulse width when requested to provide the required fuel would be open longer than the injection cycle, or close to it.

It is interesting the number of PD blowers here compared to Centri. In the Corvette world it seems to be 8:1 Centri to PD, here its 50/50 from the posts.

I would love a PD, but I also love traction so I went with a Centri. Plus the price difference. An ECS kit, installed, tuned, with Meth, was 3K cheaper than the KIT price alone for a PD blower and a lot more headroom.

I think Centri blowers are the only thing in the world that are cheaper on the C7 platform than just about any other car out there. My wife has been looking at an SS(hence the reason I am here) and also a new Mustang. The blower kit prices almost made me choke.

Last edited by ericspt; 04-04-2017 at 09:44 PM.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #171
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
I'll have to find the explanation on the fuel issue. As I said, not an expert but good at repeating things

It was not so much running out of fuel. The overall system could provide enough, it was the injector pulse width when requested to provide the required fuel would be open longer than the injection cycle, or close to it.
Hopefully you aren't taking my comment wrong, I'm not saying I don't agree with you, or arguing with you what so ever. I have been dealing with DI engines for years p. This platform is very different, and exactly the same as all of the engines I have worked on haha
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote