Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Driving schools for novice

I have been researching the options available to me to learn proper driving techniques on a racetrack using my car and have noticed several different organizations offering similar services. Are there any preferences among the people here that track their car or maybe one I should avoid for one reason or another. I don't know how all the different organizations work but I do like the idea of an instructor riding with me at first. I will be taking my 19 SS so I don't want to feel out of place around a bunch of $100,000 super cars. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I would say go through nasa here in FL. Their HPDE program is really strong
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
^^^ This for sure.

I did my first track event in the 1LE with NASA at VIR and am going back for Hyperfest. They are pretty structured with lots of classroom time and the instructor I had was amazing. He literally knew the track like the back of his hand and between sessions offered tips and feedback but was never condescending.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that NASA events fill up FAST! Especially the HPDE1 group, so you will have to plan well in advance to make sure you can register.
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
I just went to SIMRaceway's performance driving course stage 1 here in the Bay area. Don't sweat it just sign up and go. Everyone at the course I attended were super friendly. Nobody cared how slow I was.
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
I have been researching the options available to me to learn proper driving techniques on a racetrack using my car and have noticed several different organizations offering similar services. Are there any preferences among the people here that track their car or maybe one I should avoid for one reason or another. I don't know how all the different organizations work but I do like the idea of an instructor riding with me at first. I will be taking my 19 SS so I don't want to feel out of place around a bunch of $100,000 super cars. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
My preferences for HPDE here are Chin and PCA. PCA is cheaper but Chin has better track time quality (less drivers, less annoying drivers, etc).

I have a personal hate of NASA so I'll just leave that alone.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
My preferences for HPDE here are Chin and PCA. PCA is cheaper but Chin has better track time quality (less drivers, less annoying drivers, etc).

I have a personal hate of NASA so I'll just leave that alone.
My coworker recommended Chin but since I have no experience I thought I would ask the people that do.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
My coworker recommended Chin but since I have no experience I thought I would ask the people that do.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Chin has better instructors IMO than PCA does (some are the same guys of course). I can't comment on NASA-FL/SE instructors.

Generally these events are free to spectate so if you want to do Sebring you can just check out the event, talk to drivers/organizers, etc. PCA only lets Instructors take out passengers. Chin lets any solo driver but does charge a fee for the passenger wristbands. Riding in a good way to see at least partly what it's like. Both do parade laps during lunch.

If I'm there (for Sebring I am hopeful to be at the 5/18 event) and you want to go for a ride feel free to stop by.

And don't worry about fitting in with $100,000+ supercars. Most track guys don't care what you drive, just that you are out there having fun.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
I’m doing the tire rack starting line this weekend in Atlanta I will get back to you with my impressions
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote