Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 02-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Need your help, alternative car for 1LE in off season

Hi all,

I need your input. I will be purchasing my 1LE in the early spring. The 1LE will be my fair weather car and track car. I will not be driving it in the winter.

I am looking for some opinions on some secondary options.

Some criteria;

Needs to fit two kids seats in back.
I live in Maine so driving in the snow is a definite.
Fairly reliable and inexpensive to maintain. (This is subjective but I was a mechanic for many years so most repairs I do myself)

I would ideally like to keep it to a $10k limit but may stretch it to $15k.

No Subarus, BMW, Audi or Mercedes

I have been considering a ATS 2.0T with manual (Leary of the 2.0T reliability though)
A Dodge Charger interceptor (old cop car)
A Jaguar XF

Thoughts or personal experiences would be appreciated.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
If you're driving in the snow, why wouldn't you consider a Subaru?
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
If you're driving in the snow, why wouldn't you consider a Subaru?
Because most of their models are overrated. I currently have a STI that I will be selling shortly. A decent car but too small for a family of four.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
4Runner
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
davef

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Garnet Red
1st Gen Mazdaspeed 3. So that'll be a pre-2010 car. It's a 4 door hatch with a real limited slip front diff. With snow tires they're nearly unstoppable. Lot's of torque down low and pretty decent handling. Also there's plenty of inexpensive mods to make it even more fun.

At the top end of your price range you could probably get a 2nd Gen car but there aren't that many differences other than looks.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Anything 4wd with a bow tie in front
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
4Runner
Hands down,best choice for a used snow vehicle. I'm on my third.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
rsa

Drives: 1990 Miata
My choice a year ago was a WJ Jeep Laredo. Cloth interior, 4.0 and Selec-Trac transfer case. Fully satisfied with it. They are getting old, but there are plenty to chose from. I found a clean, garaged, elderly-driven example. Pre-electronic stability control though.
rsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Iron Oak

The 4Runner is a great choice. I have had a few in the past. But I already have a SUV that I will use for any sort of decent snow. I am looking more for a car this time.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
The 4Runner is a great choice. I have had a few in the past. But I already have a SUV that I will use for any sort of decent snow. I am looking more for a car this time.
I owned an ATS with AWD and the 2.0T. The back seats are acceptable, but not the most fun for anyone 6 foot and up. Ingress and egress into the rear is pretty terrible (hit your head easily). Still, it was a great car and I think I'll ultimately end up getting one again someday (maybe a V-Series or CTS Vsport). Loved the engine, chassis, sound system, and mpg.

The current Alpha CTS is a better family car I think, since it has much more room in the trunk and rear. I'm not sure if stick is a dealbreaker for you.

Manual ATS does not come in AWD, by the way. So if you went RWD you would be picking up some snow tires for sure.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRedFirebird View Post
I owned an ATS with AWD and the 2.0T. The back seats are acceptable, but not the most fun for anyone 6 foot and up. Ingress and egress into the rear is pretty terrible (hit your head easily). Still, it was a great car and I think I'll ultimately end up getting one again someday (maybe a V-Series or CTS Vsport). Loved the engine, chassis, sound system, and mpg.

The current Alpha CTS is a better family car I think, since it has much more room in the trunk and rear. I'm not sure if stick is a dealbreaker for you.

Manual ATS does not come in AWD, by the way. So if you went RWD you would be picking up some snow tires for sure.
Thank you for this feedback! All good points. The manual isn't a deal breaker nor is RWD vs AWD. While nice, it won't be necessary. I will put snow tires on it regardless. I have a 2 year old daughter now and one on the way. I am 5'11" and my wife slightly shorter. Hopefully ingress and egress won't be much of an issue for sometime with the kiddos. Otherwise, we will just use the Rover.

Did you have any issues with the engine at all or the drivetrain for that matter?

We had a new Camaro with the 2.0T here at the track for a comparison vehicle last week and I was impressed by the driving dynamics of the car. Power wasn't bad either. The nose was nice and light and steering felt good.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
Wait, why not just drive the SUV you already have? The STI isn't exactly short on space either, unless you have an older one. My co-worker has a '16 WRX and we hop in his car with 4 for lunch all the time, no sweat.

It just seems like you already have a really great stable for all purposes, unless you're simply bored of one and want change for the sake of change.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Wait, why not just drive the SUV you already have? The STI isn't exactly short on space either, unless you have an older one. My co-worker has a '16 WRX and we hop in his car with 4 for lunch all the time, no sweat.

It just seems like you already have a really great stable for all purposes, unless you're simply bored of one and want change for the sake of change.
One vehicle will be used by myself and the other by my wife. Two kids seats in the back of a 2011 STI isn't exactly ideal. (especially with one of them reversed) Plus I want something a little more refined.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Why no Audi? The previous gen A6 3.2 Quattro is pretty reliable. Other lower maintainance options are Acura RL SH, G37X, M35x, GS350 AWD..
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote