Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-15-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
isaiahofficial

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Question Question about lugging

Hello all! I own a 2013 Camaro 2LT RS w the LFX and 6l50.
I was curious, is it possible to lug the motor in this car? I have muffler delete so I can hear how hard the motor is trying to work and at low engine speeds (1.3k-2k) I can hear the motor working harder, putting out a much deeper tone. It doesn’t ever shake the car though (at least I don’t think)

I’m sure in ‘D’, the motor could never lug itself (at least I hope not), but what about manual mode under these circumstances: Accelerating to 40mph in 3rd, then cruising in 3rd letting the rpms drop to 1k-1.5k, then trying to accelerate while still in 3rd. The revs will climb just fine (albeit slowly) but the exhaust makes a noticeably deeper tone. Is this lugging ?

I guess my question is: If the rpms are too low for the car to accelerate, will manual mode automatically drop a gear until the rpms rise? Or will the motor allow itself to lug.
isaiahofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahofficial View Post
Hello all! I own a 2013 Camaro 2LT RS w the LFX and 6l50.
I was curious, is it possible to lug the motor in this car? I have muffler delete so I can hear how hard the motor is trying to work and at low engine speeds (1.3k-2k) I can hear the motor working harder, putting out a much deeper tone. It doesn’t ever shake the car though (at least I don’t think)

I’m sure in ‘D’, the motor could never lug itself (at least I hope not), but what about manual mode under these circumstances: Accelerating to 40mph in 3rd, then cruising in 3rd letting the rpms drop to 1k-1.5k, then trying to accelerate while still in 3rd. The revs will climb just fine (albeit slowly) but the exhaust makes a noticeably deeper tone. Is this lugging ?

I guess my question is: If the rpms are too low for the car to accelerate, will manual mode automatically drop a gear until the rpms rise? Or will the motor allow itself to lug.
If you are in "manual mode" and using the tapshift buttons on the back of the steering wheel and cruising too slowly and try to accelerate in say 3rd gear at 30mph, yes the engine will lug until the rpm picks up. And no in "manual mode" it will NOT drop drop down a gear, YOU have to shift down to quickly paick up the rpm, then it won't be lugging down the engine. I have a set of Aeroforce Interceptor gauges in my car and one of the parameters I monitor IS engine load. This way I can see what the engine is doing in each gear at certain rpms. This way I can drive the car in whichever gear I choose and also which rpm to keep the load off the internals. When it is in it's "normal" auto drive modes, the computer will pick which gear and at which rpm is good for the speed you are traveling, at least it should. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
isaiahofficial

Yes you answered my question! So what engine load % do you try to keep it around?
Old 01-17-2022, 09:43 PM   #4
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
If you are in "manual mode" and using the tapshift buttons on the back of the steering wheel and cruising too slowly and try to accelerate in say 3rd gear at 30mph, yes the engine will lug until the rpm picks up. And no in "manual mode" it will NOT drop drop down a gear, YOU have to shift down to quickly paick up the rpm, then it won't be lugging down the engine. I have a set of Aeroforce Interceptor gauges in my car and one of the parameters I monitor IS engine load. This way I can see what the engine is doing in each gear at certain rpms. This way I can drive the car in whichever gear I choose and also which rpm to keep the load off the internals. When it is in it's "normal" auto drive modes, the computer will pick which gear and at which rpm is good for the speed you are traveling, at least it should. Hope this helps.
Never thought about keeping an eye on load with my Aeroforce gauge. Great idea thanks!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahofficial View Post
Yes you answered my question! So what engine load % do you try to keep it around?
Most of the time I'm cruising around trying to keep it right around 40% or less, usually right around 38%. You will be turning more rpm's a bit, but the load will be lower. I do drive around town in "manual mode" a lot to keep my converter locked and trans cool. When I want to drive her hard, I will put it back in "sport" and let the computer do it's thing, this way I have the "flash" of the converter and auto downshift when needed to "blast off"!! lol.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Never thought about keeping an eye on load with my Aeroforce gauge. Great idea thanks!
Yes sir!! You'd be surprised at what you see while your driving in different situations. I scan all kinds of parameters with mine, they are really cool!!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:10 AM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
While driving my stock '15 2LS V6 car today I attempted to duplicate the condition mentioned by OP. In manual mode I tapped up to 3 and accelerated to 40 mph. I then allowed vehicle to slow down until RPMs were about 1200. I briskly applied some gas pedal and indeed transmission shifted down to 2ND and it held there until about 4000 or so then shifted back to 3rd. I tried the same exercise again but SLOWLY applied pedal pressure and trans did NOT downshift. No lugging noted. Not exactly a controlled experiment but fun and informative none the less.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:27 PM   #8
isaiahofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
While driving my stock '15 2LS V6 car today I attempted to duplicate the condition mentioned by OP. In manual mode I tapped up to 3 and accelerated to 40 mph. I then allowed vehicle to slow down until RPMs were about 1200. I briskly applied some gas pedal and indeed transmission shifted down to 2ND and it held there until about 4000 or so then shifted back to 3rd. I tried the same exercise again but SLOWLY applied pedal pressure and trans did NOT downshift. No lugging noted. Not exactly a controlled experiment but fun and informative none the less.
I knew I felt it shift down to second in this scenario!! Glad to know the car won’t let you hurt the engine unintentionally ✊
Old 01-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
hmmmm, I'll have to check that out next time I'm out. I know that if you are in "D" and tap down, it will downshift for you, but then after about 5 secs or so it will go back into "D" mode, but in "S" mode you do that, it will stay in the gear you tap down to, I never tried to ROMP on it in that mode to see if it would downshift. Gotta try that and see... Maybe the V6 works different?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:55 PM   #10
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Pretty sure V6 and V8 are completely different. My shifter just has a D or M. One button for traction control "on" or "off". If you use the tap shifter in D nothing happens. My car is a 2LS, not sure about the 2LT or RS models.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Pretty sure V6 and V8 are completely different. My shifter just has a D or M. One button for traction control "on" or "off". If you use the tap shifter in D nothing happens. My car is a 2LS, not sure about the 2LT or RS models.
Cool. Yea I was thinking they were kinda different. Correction on mine on the shifter, mine as well shows an "M" on the console, below the "D", but on the dash it will show the "S" when it is in "sport mode", and when you tap down, or tap the up button it will show the "M" for being in manual mode, and which gear you are currently in until you tap and "hold" the up button for 3 seconds, then it will be back in sport mode again showing the "S".. Really neat feature.

Tags
lugging, manual mode, paddle shifters