Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Rock Chip Protection

OK Guys,

If you track your car alot and even in daily driving one of the areas on our cars that take a beating is in FRONT of the rear wheels. You will see scratches and stone bruises in this area of the car typically.

Now you can constantly repaint that area but that is a PITA. They dont really make mudflaps that go in FRONT of the rear wheels like say the old Pontaic TRANSAMS had either.

So a solution I decided on was to WRAP the car with a GLOSS BLACK wrap that matched my paint and overlay THAT wrap with a very high quality XPEL PPF (paint protection film). Warning, this stuff is EXPENSIVE and cost about 90 dollars a yard and it takes a YARD of this XPEL to do both sides.

In the picture, the wrap goes from the door seam BACK to the wheel well opening and the TOP of the piece is at the split line and the bottom goes about an inch UNDER the rocker panel. If you look CLOSELY at the bottom LEFT corner you will see where the wrap and PPF begin.

The reason of course for using the XPEL PPF is that is is relatively THICK and should make it more rock resistant. I TRIED getting by with simply using the wrap material but it wasnt durable enough. Note that my paint is HIGHLY reflective so it may look dirty but it is not LOL.
Attached Images

https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:57 PM   #2
Alexj100

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Mine came w PPF from factory but it’s worthless. Literally just a small patch that hardly protected anything. Before i installed new ZL1 rocker panels, i PPF that whole area myself. The material wasn’t too expensive. I got the vivvid 3M PPF 12”x5’ (about $28) and that was enough for both sides. Didn’t come out perfect but as long as it’s covered it’s all that matters.
Alexj100 is offline   Reply With Quote