Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #15
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I own a 1LE and think it is quick, has brilliant handling, and is a total blast to drive at the track. Having said that, if the OP doesn't intend to track it and plans to get his fun by rowing through a manual gearbox, then I'd suggest other cars might provide more fun than the SS 1LE. Reasons being:

1) 1LE has tall gearing, so the revs build slower and cover a wider speed range; a plus on the track because you don't have to shift as much to stay in the (wide) power band.

2) Related to #1 you won't have as many gears to run through before you hit "safe" speed limits for the street: Rev out the 1LE in 2nd gear, you are already over 70mph the highest highway speed limit; in 3rd, you'll be doing 106 mph; 4th 142 mph

3) An LT1 equipped Camaro is quick indeed, but because the suspension is so well damped, it doesn't feel that quick because there isn't any real drama. Same goes for going through turns/curves on public roads - Incredible adhesion with barely any body roll. You have to be doing 2 to 3 times the speed limit before it feels fun.

Just ask yourself where you intend to drive your car and therefore, which characteristics will make it enjoyable to you. Then choose wisely!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:54 PM   #16
HI RPM

Drives: 2013 BOSS 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I own a 1LE and think it is quick, has brilliant handling, and is a total blast to drive at the track. Having said that, if the OP doesn't intend to track it and plans to get his fun by rowing through a manual gearbox, then I'd suggest other cars might provide more fun than the SS 1LE. Reasons being:

1) 1LE has tall gearing, so the revs build slower and cover a wider speed range; a plus on the track because you don't have to shift as much to stay in the (wide) power band.

2) Related to #1 you won't have as many gears to run through before you hit "safe" speed limits for the street: Rev out the 1LE in 2nd gear, you are already over 70mph the highest highway speed limit; in 3rd, you'll be doing 106 mph; 4th 142 mph

3) An LT1 equipped Camaro is quick indeed, but because the suspension is so well damped, it doesn't feel that quick because there isn't any real drama. Same goes for going through turns/curves on public roads - Incredible adhesion with barely any body roll. You have to be doing 2 to 3 times the speed limit before it feels fun.

Just ask yourself where you intend to drive your car and therefore, which characteristics will make it enjoyable to you. Then choose wisely!
N Camarolina, thank you for your honest opinion.

Even though there is a track about an hours drive away and I do have a friend who tracks his cars, I most likely wont be tracking mine. It could happen, but i am not specifically buying the car to do so.

I will most definitely be running some fun MT roads. Early morning drives on the weekends or better yet, on a day off mid-week, is when my past "fun" cars got the most use.

A few hours of driving my favorite twisty back roads, radio off, working the clutch and shifter, spinning the tac, taking in the sounds of the engine and exhaust, just does wonders for me.

Last edited by HI RPM; 12-30-2021 at 04:54 AM.
HI RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #17
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
HI RPM, my dream garage would be my 2019 1LE and a 2013 Boss in Gotta Have it Green. Prior to purchasing my 1LE, I cross shopped the two. My brother actually owned a 2013 in Championship White that I drove extensively.

If I could sum it up best, the 1LE is a more modern Boss. The interior, technology, tremec, etc is just better all around. I absolutely LOVE the Boss though, both are kind of the same ethos - track machines.

One thing I miss about the Boss was the sound. The Camaro NPP is fantastic and sounds menacing OUTSIDE of the car. However, inside the Camaro you don't hear it as much. This of course can be solved by aftermarket. I absolutely loved the side pipes on the Boss without the restrictor plates. Sounded so damn good.

On track - you will be faster in the Camaro. I would agree with others though, the Camaro mag ride is SO good that you'll be going 100+ without much "drama". The camaro just does speed so well.

I'd say try and turo one (if you can find it) or get one for a day or two to see how you like it.
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #18
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
If i remember correctly, the road runner is basically a gen 2 coyote. dont the gen 2 coyote pp cars performance specs beat the boss? I may be wrong, but it must be at least close. I think the s550 interior is much nicer but of course not as special of a car.

I have seen some video comparisons of the boss vs the gt350 and the gt350 comes out way ahead it seems. not just the voodoo vs road runner, but also the s550/irs. I think the newer ss 1le alpha chassis is much better. I drove an s197 gt500 with lots of suspension mods and to me the alpha chassis feels a lot better. not the same cars for sure though.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #19
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaahhh View Post
HI RPM, my dream garage would be my 2019 1LE and a 2013 Boss in Gotta Have it Green. Prior to purchasing my 1LE, I cross shopped the two. My brother actually owned a 2013 in Championship White that I drove extensively.

If I could sum it up best, the 1LE is a more modern Boss. The interior, technology, tremec, etc is just better all around. I absolutely LOVE the Boss though, both are kind of the same ethos - track machines.

One thing I miss about the Boss was the sound. The Camaro NPP is fantastic and sounds menacing OUTSIDE of the car. However, inside the Camaro you don't hear it as much. This of course can be solved by aftermarket. I absolutely loved the side pipes on the Boss without the restrictor plates. Sounded so damn good.

On track - you will be faster in the Camaro. I would agree with others though, the Camaro mag ride is SO good that you'll be going 100+ without much "drama". The camaro just does speed so well.

I'd say try and turo one (if you can find it) or get one for a day or two to see how you like it.
I love this comment, it sums the situation up perfectly, and the test drive idea is also spot on.

Folding down the rear seat gives the car about twice the exhaust and engine sound volume, by the way, for free, even with the stock NPP. Maybe less with the stock powertrain, but still a significant change.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #20
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I love this comment, it sums the situation up perfectly, and the test drive idea is also spot on.

Folding down the rear seat gives the car about twice the exhaust and engine sound volume, by the way, for free, even with the stock NPP. Maybe less with the stock powertrain, but still a significant change.
Thanks for the reminder about folding the seat down for more engine sound.

I too have been finding the interior to be too quiet when I'm in the mood to hear the exhaust sounds. That's a better solution if you're also wanting to ensure that you stay within sound DB limits at particular tracks.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:57 AM   #21
HI RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
If i remember correctly, the road runner is basically a gen 2 coyote. dont the gen 2 coyote pp cars performance specs beat the boss? I may be wrong, but it must be at least close. I think the s550 interior is much nicer but of course not as special of a car.

I have seen some video comparisons of the boss vs the gt350 and the gt350 comes out way ahead it seems. not just the voodoo vs road runner, but also the s550/irs. I think the newer ss 1le alpha chassis is much better. I drove an s197 gt500 with lots of suspension mods and to me the alpha chassis feels a lot better. not the same cars for sure though.
Serper3, the Gen 2 Coyote did get some improvments over the Gen 1 for sure.
Actually there was a bump in hp with in the Gen 1 series...2011/2012 Coyotes have 412hp/390tq...2013/2014 Coyotes have 420hp/390tq

The 2015-2017 Gen 2 Coyotes have 435hp/400tq, I believe both Gen 1 and Gen 2s have a either a 6500 or 6700 rpm redline

The 2012/2013 RoadRunner BOSS engines are different. A few of the big differences are the forged pistons, cnc ported factory heads, higher performance cams and valve train and of course the BOSS specific intake manifold.
These engines have 444hp/380tq and a 7500+ rpm redline.

It takes a Gen 3 Coyote 460/420 to actually out muscle a RoadRunner engine.
The Bullitt and Mach 1 both make even more power -480hp/420tq. The Gen 3's have a 7500 rpm redline.

Just sharing some specs, certainly not preaching Coyote to an LS crowd.

As to a Gen 2 PP car out performing a BOSS, my honest opinion/answer is NO they do not.
I will go so far as to say they are lucky to beat a "Brembo Package" Stick shift, 3:73 equipped Gen 1 GT in performance.

Again just my opinion, the biggest "improvements" between S197 and a PP S550 are the bigger brakes and more comfortable ride.
No doubt they make a better daily driver. Not convinced they make a better weekend warrior.

The Shelby GT350 has SO MANY differences from a regular GT, that they are like 2 totally different cars.

I have driven a 2018 Shelby GT350 on a extended test drive. It is the best handling car that I have driven yet, with the most powerful brakes that I have ever felt.

Last edited by HI RPM; 12-31-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:11 AM   #22
HI RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaahhh View Post

I agree 100% on taking a extended test drive, but right now in the N East its not gonna happen for a while.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #23
HI RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

Arpad, thanks for the heads up on folding the seat down for increased sound.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #24
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
I also owned a 2015 Mustang GT PP (First year of S550) for 2 years. It does not compare to the Boss. Didn't feel any faster and CERTAINLY did not handle even remotely close to that of the Boss. Thing was a boat. Maybe they have fixed them with the PP2 or the new Mach 1.
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #25
HI RPM

Well, went to local dealer on Friday and did a quick build.

1SS 1LE, in Shadow Grey. Only 2 additional options.

#1 Aluminum pedals
#2 Front and rear body colored splash guards.

Dealer said they would honor my purchasing program thru work, on a order ONLY. They don't have anything in stock. If they were to do a swap to get one from another dealer, its a NO GO on the savings. So it looks like an order is the way to go. Not the greatest deal but better than nothing.
There would be no additional mark up, I would get my works purchasing program savings and I would receive any rebates that may be available at time of delivery.

$500 deposit gets the ball rolling BUT I was told it may be 6-8 MONTH wait. So I held off ordering.

That seems like a long time to me. Does that seem right?? I have no issue waiting 4 months, but 8 months puts the delivery into August 2022. At that point I would think I would better off getting a 2023 or a better deal on 2022.

Any opinions on this?

Last edited by HI RPM; 01-02-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #26
N Camarolina

Build time you were quoted may not be so out of the ordinary. My friend just ordered a Mustang Mach 1 a week ago and was told to expect June. If you are sure of the car you want, I'd just go and order it now. Waiting to pursue one until later this year likely won't get you in your car any faster (is your discount usable for a car off the lot, and do you think you'll be able to out-compete the other buyers for the very limited stock?), and may actually take longer.

I'd skip the OEM splash guards and buy aftermarket instead. I read on this forum that the OEM look nice but are too short and therefore barely provide any benefit. You are much better offer with aftermarket as they hang down lower (RPI design seems to hang down the lowest) and are much more effective at blocking rocks from flying up (the 1LE has very sticky tires). You'll save some money to boot. They will be black, but pretty much invisible given the profile and how low the car already is to the ground.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:23 PM   #27
HI RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Build time you were quoted may not be so out of the ordinary. My friend just ordered a Mustang Mach 1 a week ago and was told to expect June. If you are sure of the car you want, I'd just go and order it now. Waiting to pursue one until later this year likely won't get you in your car any faster (is your discount usable for a car off the lot, and do you think you'll be able to out-compete the other buyers for the very limited stock?), and may actually take longer.

I'd skip the OEM splash guards and buy aftermarket instead. I read on this forum that the OEM look nice but are too short and therefore barely provide any benefit. You are much better offer with aftermarket as they hang down lower (RPI design seems to hang down the lowest) and are much more effective at blocking rocks from flying up (the 1LE has very sticky tires). You'll save some money to boot. They will be black, but pretty much invisible given the profile and how low the car already is to the ground.
Thanks for the tip on the splash guards.

Looks like the long build time may be accurate then. I will have to think it over a bit more before committing to the order.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #28
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I think 6-8 months is realistic. I ordered a Mustang in 2014 and was told 4-6 weeks. It took 9.

Now, with the component shortages, this seems about right for an order. If you want any new car, this is about the norm. Might be shorter on bread and butter cars like the F-150 or Silverado, but you will have to wait for any sports car.

I wanted to order a SS 1LE in May of 2021, and the dealer told me "sometime around the middle of 2022." He than explained that they stopped making them in February of 2021 and they has a huge backlock of orders to get through first.

So if you want one, get in line, and save your spot. Better to have one on September than to not have one at all.
Or ... you can see what the used car market looks like, but that is also very scarce and overpriced. After I wasn't able to get a new one, I went used. Took me some time, but I found my car a few states away. It was a manual 1SS 1LE with good extras (PPF, ZL1 side skirts, Chevy performance cold air intake, oil catch can, etc), and only 6k miles on the clock. I paid nearly what the MSRP on a new one is, but I wasn't going to miss out on the 2021 track season. I put extra 4k miles on the car since, and 3 track days. Zero regrets. I'd still be waiting for a new one right now, had I not. To me going used but getting it now was worth it.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote