Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
TheArmedAccountant

Drives: Hyper BLue Zl1 1LE & Can Am X3
Losing Coolant - 4x to dealer - still no answers - angry

Ok, so I have been dealing with an ongoing issue ever since I bought this car back in March of this year. It is a 2018 ZLE with about 19k on the odometer now. The car has been leaking coolant. You can smell it after the car has warmed up. I do not notice any coolant smell in the exhaust or excessive white smoke. It loses about a half quart every 50-100 miles or so depending on how hard you drive it. 5x 20 minute sessions on track went through about a half gallon of coolant.

I drove myself crazy looking for leaks but could never locate it. Driveway/garage has always been clean. Water pump appears to be just fine. No obvious drips. Dealer pulled spark plugs and they appear to not be washed in coolant.

The car has been to the dealer 4x now. The first time they found a small crack in the radiator and replaced it. The second time they could not locate any leaks and gave it back to me. The third time they said well it's leaking but we need to measure coolant loss. So they topped it up and I brought it back when the surge tank was empty and the reservoir was almost empty.

4th time in - their tech "who specializes" in vettes said it was a bleed procedure and that they did not have the proper tool to bleed the line when they replaced the radiator. I specifically asked him which line as the I know the supercharger line requires a special tool but I am not aware of a special tool to bleed the regular coolant line. He told me the supercharger and engine coolant line are the same system, I know that's not true

I was running out of time so I had to leave and go pick up my son from school at that point. I have driven it some more and it is obviously still losing coolant at the same rate.

I am at a loss where this is coming from and more importantly I am absolutely at my wits end with this dealer. I bought the car from them with an extended warranty and I feel like I am just being shooed out of the building. I have been very cordial about this to date but now I am getting angry.

What should my next steps be here? Getting GM involved? New dealer? My fear is that if I start with a new dealer we are just going to start at square one again. Any advice would be appreciated
TheArmedAccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Get GM involved, and explain to them the situation. From what I’ve gathered their pretty responsive when a dealer isn’t holding up their end of the bargain. Or you could try a new dealer, no biggie, maybe they have someone more knowledgeable in diagnosing this particular issues.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Has a florescent dye been added to the coolant to trace a leak? That should have been done after the first trip to the dealer.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
TheArmedAccountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Has a florescent dye been added to the coolant to trace a leak? That should have been done after the first trip to the dealer.
It has not and I know it is a technique that is pretty widely used. I will definitely make it a point to discuss.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
It sounds like a warped block....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
use the dye mentioned above...has the system been pressure tested to check for leaks? Is the heater core a possibility? Remove the plastic underbelly stuff and look closely again.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Yep try that dye method, also try an independent shop to do the dye and pressure test the system.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Have you tried getting an oil analysis specifically looking for coolant?

When do you smell it… car on or off or both? Where do you smell it? That’s a lot of coolant to go missing.

On the plus side, if it can be smelled.. it’s more likely than not to be an external leak. Or at least I would hope so.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Good point on the oil, hows that look?
Old 10-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
TheArmedAccountant

System has been pressure tested multiple times and I am told it holds pressure. That was how the cracked radiator was discovered first trip in.

Oil looks good. I have changed it myself and it looked like it should with no hint of "milkiness."

I should also mention I did perform a combustion leak test myself and the results showed negative for combustion gasses in the coolant.

I smell it only when car is running or right after I shut the engine down. Would it be possible that a gasket is blown but is venting towards the engine bay instead of the cylinder?

I am going to call dealership today and speak with the service manager and depending on the answers I get give GM a call.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArmedAccountant View Post
System has been pressure tested multiple times and I am told it holds pressure. That was how the cracked radiator was discovered first trip in.

Oil looks good. I have changed it myself and it looked like it should with no hint of "milkiness."

I should also mention I did perform a combustion leak test myself and the results showed negative for combustion gasses in the coolant.

I smell it only when car is running or right after I shut the engine down. Would it be possible that a gasket is blown but is venting towards the engine bay instead of the cylinder?

I am going to call dealership today and speak with the service manager and depending on the answers I get give GM a call.
Losing a half gallon , you would easily see this at your tailpipes if was a head gasket etc , or leaking from engine. Even if it was evaporating first, you would see residue somewhere with that amount being lost.

I would put the dye in. Then check everywhere for a leak.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I'd say quit trying to troubleshoot it yourself, it's under warranty, don't give the dealership any reason to believe you may have caused the issue. Contact GM, let them take care of it, or take it to a new dealership....just my .02 but i'd hate for them to blame it on you.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
My kids '05 GTO did this for years, and it turned out to be a warpy thermostat housing. Never enough to see it leaking, but the car just smelled of coolant every time he shut it down. It's a cheap thing to try, at least...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
WhiteMale

You covered the radiator but my girls Challenger was using coolant and nothing at the pipes, oil, on the ground, but you could smell it outside the car, hers was a cracked radiator though but we traded it off at that point and let the dealer mess with it.