Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
1st gear engagement intermittent issue - 2018 ZLE

Picked up a ZLE yesterday w/ 18k miles (coming from a 2014 Z/28), and while driving around today, I noticed it seems to have an intermittent issue actually going into 1st gear when I'm stopped. No other gears have issues, I don't hear any slipping, and it doesn't happen every time. Initially I was thinking perhaps the clutch was going, but with this low of mileage and no slipping, I find that unlikely.
Just trying to get some ideas before I go yelling at the dealer lol.

Side note: Anyone have the part number handy for the stock clutch assembly? I'm still under all my warranties so don't want to go aftermarket.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Flush the brakes with crastrol srf first thing.
Also Try double clutching down to first and see if that helps.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Flush the brakes with crastrol srf. Try double clutching down to first and see if that helps.
Its usually just from a stop...I don't downshift coming to a stop, I just ride it in neutral for the stop. Double clutching does seem to do the trick when it happens though.
Thats a good idea to flush things out, thanks
Old 01-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
1wraith76

Drives: None
Happens to me only after parking it for a while with my reverse. I keep the clutch engaged, shift it into a different gear and then try again and it works.
1wraith76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Try letting the clutch out in neutral slightly then try putting it in gear again. then again I havent had that issue in any of my 6th gens. My old LS1 has that happen to it. I think its a synchros thing.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Might be wear and tear from the previous owner now that you've discovered it's history. Might be part of the reason it was traded in. Might as well take it to the dealer and see If they'll cover it under warranty, hopefully they don't know the history and try to void the warranty for track racing. Some dealers are like this even though the car was built for it.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Picked up a ZLE yesterday w/ 18k miles (coming from a 2014 Z/28),
Ok, gotta ask. Why did you bail out of the Z/28?
Old 01-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ok, gotta ask. Why did you bail out of the Z/28?
Made more sense post divorce for now. Cheaper on gas, cheaper on parts (and easier to find), and under GM warranty for a number more years. Alimony kind of sucks balls lol....seriously though, 4k/mo tied up in that, so maintenance became a concern for me.
I will most likely pick up a 3rd Z/28 at some point in the future...I do love them (still my favorite car), but I do find the ZLE to be a decent replacement since it is a lot like driving the Z (unlike the regular ZL1 swap I did before w/ the '17, where I instantly regretted it).
Old 01-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Having test driven and had a Z/28 as a two week loaner, I don't know if I could go back to it. I'm spoiled by all the new tech/creature comforts it'd be a huge step back. I'm legit considering buying a dirt cheap Miata and LS3 swapping it for that raw driving experience. It'd be a shit ton cheaper to maintain in the long run too. Plus it'd be one hell of a sleeper Miata.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #10
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Might be wear and tear from the previous owner now that you've discovered it's history. Might be part of the reason it was traded in. Might as well take it to the dealer and see If they'll cover it under warranty, hopefully they don't know the history and try to void the warranty for track racing. Some dealers are like this even though the car was built for it.
From what I understand, like the Z/28, the warranty is honored even if its been tracked, UNLESS it was never registered for street driving and was only used on the track.
I *almost* bought a '19 ZLE that come to find out, was basically just a track dummy (Ron Fellows track car), and hadn't been registered before for street use. As a result, GM would not honor any warranty on it. 7300 miles of just track time, no thanks...
I might have them take a look though when its back there getting other touch ups done...or take it over to the chevy dealership better yet. Knowing them though, they'll just assume its a clutch, charge me 2k to replace it, and the same thing will happen (unfortunately, I say this from experience with them). Its not that bad though; doesn't happen often, and tbh, it could just be me still learning the clutch point, because I'm programmed for the Z/28 still lol
Old 01-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #11
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
Having test driven and had a Z/28 as a two week loaner, I don't know if I could go back to it. I'm spoiled by all the new tech/creature comforts it'd be a huge step back. I'm legit considering buying a dirt cheap Miata and LS3 swapping it for that raw driving experience. It'd be a shit ton cheaper to maintain in the long run too. Plus it'd be one hell of a sleeper Miata.
I get what youre saying there. This is actually my 2nd ZL1, but the first one was a regular that I had traded another Z/28 I had in for, but immediately regretted (I didn't like the regular ZL1, I want to feel the road, not like an airliner taking off where theres no real feel of the pavement). This ZLE I find to be a suitable replacement, but I have a sick passion for the Z/28 that isn't going to go away lol.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #12
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
I haven't driven a regular ZL1, but I have street and track time in many C7s with MagneRide and assuming they ride similar, it's definitely lacking compared to the ZLE. Feels too bloated and floaty compared to sharp. And when you start pushing limits there's no warning, it's just doing fine, doing fine, doing fine, now you're facing the wrong way on the track.

Don't get me wrong if I had unlimited budget for cars I would 100% have a Z/28 as a dedicated track toy, but the ZLE has far too much going for it that it can double as daily driver and track toy.

Brb, shopping for used Miatas now.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
I haven't driven a regular ZL1, but I have street and track time in many C7s with MagneRide and assuming they ride similar, it's definitely lacking compared to the ZLE. Feels too bloated and floaty compared to sharp. And when you start pushing limits there's no warning, it's just doing fine, doing fine, doing fine, now you're facing the wrong way on the track.

Don't get me wrong if I had unlimited budget for cars I would 100% have a Z/28 as a dedicated track toy, but the ZLE has far too much going for it that it can double as daily driver and track toy.

Brb, shopping for used Miatas now.
I can't argue with that. My Z/28s were both DDs since I don't hit the track, but the ZLE does bring the best of both worlds together very very effectively.
How you describe the C7 with the mag ride; yes, thats a good description of the regular ZL1, even in track mode. I can definitely see why people might prefer it as a daily, but those are the same people who think both the ZLE and Z/28 are too rough to be daily drivers. Honestly, the ZLE has impressed me, and I expected to just want to run back to get my Z/28 (thats what happened when I got the last ZL1, I tried immediately calling the dealership, but by the time they reopened, it was already sold immediately)...but nope, just a big smile.
That being said, I did take the time to add the modern amenities to my Z/28; overhead console with garage door opener, a floating screen with AA/carplay, backup camera, etc, so it wasn't too terribly far off when I got done with additions.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 PM   #14
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
From what I understand, like the Z/28, the warranty is honored even if its been tracked, UNLESS it was never registered for street driving and was only used on the track.
I *almost* bought a '19 ZLE that come to find out, was basically just a track dummy (Ron Fellows track car), and hadn't been registered before for street use. As a result, GM would not honor any warranty on it. 7300 miles of just track time, no thanks...
I might have them take a look though when its back there getting other touch ups done...or take it over to the chevy dealership better yet. Knowing them though, they'll just assume its a clutch, charge me 2k to replace it, and the same thing will happen (unfortunately, I say this from experience with them). Its not that bad though; doesn't happen often, and tbh, it could just be me still learning the clutch point, because I'm programmed for the Z/28 still lol
I would HOPE the dealer would cover a transmission repair or replacement if needed but like I said, SOME dealers love to use racing as an excuse not to cover anything.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote