Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
GIRODISC FULL ROTORS

just got some used oem rotors from my buddy 2020 1le and was going to order up some girodisc rotor rings and noticed the full complete rotors anybody have these on their car and any feedback? noticed a note about special pads tho so not sure if thats fun or if that sucks or not haha

https://www.girodisc.com/Front-Rotor...en_p_6826.html

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/4...+Rotors+-+PAIR
Old 01-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
I haven't used them, but I was just looking to replace my OEM 1LE rotors so I just did some research. From what I saw, the Girodiscs are lighter than DBA or stock rotors, which while making you faster in a straight line, you get reduced the heat capacity, which can lead to over heating faster. Also slotted rotors are going to wear pads faster. Most reports say if a pad lasts 3 days on OEM, it'll last 2 on slotted rotors. Sure, you can accelerate faster and brake harder, but by how much? I couldn't find any empirical data to compare the two, but a few basic tests by a couple of different folks say between 5% and 10% better braking efficiency. I don't know what that does for stopping distance or rate but its probably fairly significant.

Rock Auto has full OEM 1LE rings and hats for ~$800. I don't know how much faster you could be on Girodiscs, but for $300 plus an extra set of pads every ~6 track days, over OEM, I don't know if it would be worth the money. If you run ~12 track days a year, your are looking at about a grand over OEM 1LE.

My $0.02 at least. My choice was OEM.
eimarshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

yea i have an extra set of oem 1le rotors right now my buddy gave me so i think im just going to try out a set of the girodisc rings and see how they are still cheaper than a new set of rotors ! but at $1100 for a set ill pass for now
Old 01-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
I run the full Girodisk rotors front & rear... they've been great!
Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #5
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
I haven't used them, but I was just looking to replace my OEM 1LE rotors so I just did some research. From what I saw, the Girodiscs are lighter than DBA or stock rotors, which while making you faster in a straight line, you get reduced the heat capacity, which can lead to over heating faster. Also slotted rotors are going to wear pads faster. Most reports say if a pad lasts 3 days on OEM, it'll last 2 on slotted rotors. Sure, you can accelerate faster and brake harder, but by how much? I couldn't find any empirical data to compare the two, but a few basic tests by a couple of different folks say between 5% and 10% better braking efficiency. I don't know what that does for stopping distance or rate but its probably fairly significant.
While rotor mass can directly relate to heat capacity, you also need to look at rotor design. I saw the KNS video and the new Girodisc rotors are 72 vane vs the stock 48 vane. Larger cooling passages and more vanes equate to more surface area to dissipate heat. So all in all it could be equal in thermal efficiency but if it sheds a couple pounds it's a positive.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #6
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Ken just announced the New Girodisc 2 Piece Rotors today. Way too expensive for me. I'll stick using the DBA or Girodisc rings
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 AM   #7
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Do they keep the stock annulus size or do you lose pad area / volume like the ZL1 / J6H front?
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post

of course you have them haha what do you think about pad life vs stock rotors and what pads are you using with them ?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I like that... "we don't have a direct fit disk, so we make excuse to use our instead" and yeah, you need other than stock size shape pad we? only make.

More expensive than OE, smaller overall size.. too many cons. Maybe lighter is better, but probably not, thermal mass on brakes esp iron based stuff is desirable. But I am not in business of selling brake parts.. just my opinion.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:34 AM   #10
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
I like that... "we don't have a direct fit disk, so we make excuse to use our instead" and yeah, you need other than stock size shape pad we? only make.
I don't believe this is true, from watching Ken's video it seems the regular size pads work. He said they were still waiting on the pads from then so they put some DTC-60s on, that's the pad I already run so I'm contemplating these, first set is obviously more expensive that full OEM or OEM hat + DBA/GD rings but once you are to the point of replacing these rings they are almost exactly the same price as the other replacement ring options.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #11
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
Stock rotors are very good. I'm running Girodisks front and rear with DTC70s. Better initial bite and overall better performance. The rotor vane design is different and the Girodisk deals with heat as good or better than the stock rotors.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:53 AM   #12
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
The best price for OE / AC Delco front ZL1 rotors is Amazon. My dealer can't buy them for that price. Free delivery too for prime members.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:03 AM   #13
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
GIRODISC

Well being the old curious JOE that I am I picked up the phone and I talked to a guy in tech support who seemed to be extremely knowledgeable about his product. First though a little background.

I currently run ZL1 1LE brakes on my SS 1LE set up with DTC70 front pads and DTC60 rear pads. The front rotors (GM part number 84271643) are 15.35 inches in diameter (see pics below) which are the largest rotors GM offers for our cars. With that in mind I use the LARGEST PADS as well. I change back and forth from the STOCK Brembo Pads with MS 4S 305 30 19 tires wrapped around APEX 19 x 10.5 wheels (SQUARE) to my track setup DTC70 DTC60 pads and APEX 18 x 11EC-7 wheels and Pirelli 305 660 18 SLICKS (SQUARE). I am careful to put the pads back in the same exact location each time. I track the car 2-3 times a month an average of 2 hours track time per day. I also drive the car about 15K miles a year.

In the LAST two years I am on my second set of rotors (front) and I am still running the first set of rotors on the rear. I am on my SECOND set of stock BREMBO PADS and the THIRD set of DTC70 front pads and SECOND set of DTC60 rear PADS. Wear has been VERY good and quite frankly MUCH better than on my ZL1 1LE which I had previously. I believe the MAIN reason for that is I am about 200 pounds lighter PRIMARILY on the NOSE of the car vs. my current SS 1LE.

I have been EXTREMELY happy with the brakes and I even had a professional race car driver TEST drive the car and he mentioned the brakes were AWESOME which quite frankly I knew anyway but I wanted a professional opinion.

Back to my call with GIRODISC technical support. I had ORIGINALLY called them to discuss with them that their titanium brake shields were too small in that they did NOT cover the entire swept area of my brake pad. (see pic below).

What I was told was that NO they DIDNT send the wrong set of shims because they designed the shim where it was wide enough that it would cover the brake piston area providing the heat shield between the brake pistons and the PAD. I described for him the fact that my brake calipers become hot enough that the PRETTY silver powdercoating turn sort of a goldish color. He laughed and said "Yeah we call those BROWNEES". Now I wanted to know more about the GIRODISC rotors and he shared some interesting info.

GM compromised to a certain extent on the brake rotor design. First off their rotors are NON DIRECTIONAL so the front rotors are the SAME part number left or right. I was told that GM could have provided directional cooling veins (like in the GIRODISC design) BUT that would have required more expensive tooling to accomodate the change and everyone knows GM is very sensitive when it comes to minimizing production costs (LOL). SO.......in order to provide sufficient cooling on the GM rotor design, they had to make the rotors LARGER with a bigger swept area which in turn of course makes them inherently HEAVIER to the tune of about 32-33 pounds (actual weight 32.8 pounds, see pic below).

So he mentioned that IF the GIRODISC design had the same SWEPT area as the stock GM rotors then their rotors would weigh basically the same as GM rotors BUT BECAUSE of their design the GIRODISC rotors weigh about 28-29 pounds for roughly a 4 pound weight savings (rotational weight savings I might add). That is also why GIRODSIC rotors have a RIGHT and LEFT part number because they have directional cooling vanes. The result he says is the GIRODISC rotors will run COOLER than a stock rotor. Note I am talking here about the FRONT ROTORS.

NOW will the car brake BETTER with the GIRODISC rotors VS. the stock rotors? He says of course YES but quite frankly I would be happy if it had the same breaking ability since you would lose about 4 pounds of rotating mass per wheel. If you to combine that with using a set of the NEW APEX wheels they just came out with then that would be a rotational weight savings of 7 pounds per wheel. THATS significant and the car would DEFINITELY be faster around the track.

On a side note, the GM front rotors are currently priced at 400 a rotor from BEZOS Amazon. GIRODISC Rotors are 1100 a pair including the hats and rotor rings with JUST the rings costing 400 a piece when its time for replacement.

Stock GM rotor link (AMAZON)

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-1...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Girodisc link below:

https://www.girodisc.com/Camaro-ZL1-6th-Gen_c_3011.html

I want to thank GIRODISC tech support with being patient enough to spend about 30 minutes answering all of my MILE A MINUTE questions.
Attached Images

https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 01-29-2022 at 04:18 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:35 AM   #14
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
We all know GM chose non-directional rotors so less inventory. They could have spec'd Brembo rotor w directional vaning - but they didn't.

Does brembo make directional rotor of same size? Someone will have to click through their motorsport catalog to find a match. Is the vette of same size directional ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote