Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2022, 03:30 PM   #71
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
It is easy to overspend on a build. I am currently waiting to start mine soon. I have a budget and that's all I am going to spend. I have tried to set myself up for further work if, when, I decide to spend more in the future. I am building what I can afford and not giving in to wants I can't afford. I would have liked to do a Maggie but, I will settle on an X port to buy other parts that will be installed when the engine comes out. Be logical about your build. You don't have to do it all at once, do your homework.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:26 PM   #72
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
A surefire way to create a popular thread here is to say something positive about Hennessey, but you'll get more negative than positive comments. Jealousy is such an ugly trait.

I get the point you make and it's a good one. Yenko built a reputation for being the go-to place for go-fast goodies by offering performance parts, as well as modifying your vehicle for you at the dealership.

Yenko ordered Camaros from the factory and modified them in various ways into high performance cars. Hennessey does the same thing.

The Exorcist would blow the doors off most or all original Yenkos.
The difference with the Exorcist and Yenko is that the Yenko was truly a limited production run with GM parts. While the first 2 years weren't a COPO, the 1969 was a COPO. So you could go to any dealer and buy one. Hopefully.....

While the Exorcist is a highly modified car with non GM parts and with the option to have a limited production run or not. So any person can have an Exorcist with or without a number plate. It's just if that person paid the extra cash for that option.

My bash wasn't directed towards Hennessey but ANY non third party that does this. You can't compare a Yenko to a Hennessey or Lingenfelter or etc built car. They aren't the same.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #73
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
My bash wasn't directed towards Hennessey but ANY non third party that does this. You can't compare a Yenko to a Hennessey or Lingenfelter or etc built car. They aren't the same.
I did not take yours as bashing HPE. During this exchange it occurred to me that my 850 was/is part of a limited production set. Mine is #25 but it's not an 850 any longer.

I like all three of the builders you mention. LPE mod'd my 2001 LS1 Camaro and did nice work.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:18 PM   #74
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
The difference with the Exorcist and Yenko is that the Yenko was truly a limited production run with GM parts. While the first 2 years weren't a COPO, the 1969 was a COPO. So you could go to any dealer and buy one. Hopefully.....

While the Exorcist is a highly modified car with non GM parts and with the option to have a limited production run or not. So any person can have an Exorcist with or without a number plate. It's just if that person paid the extra cash for that option.

As for the residual value of these modded cars, I think marketing does play a role here. There are quite capable companies who can do a quality job within various budgets, however a few years or decades down the line, personally I would see that quality built ZL1 as just a non-stock ZL1. I would not really know the details of the build as a potential buyer although it may be documented. However buying, for example, the documented #24 HPE Exorcist ZL1 would have the pedigree which = $$. A similar comparison can be made for a quality built '69 RS\SS Camaro vs. a real Yenko. These two cars would be no comparison to a Camaro collector and the Yenko brings the big $$. And btw, Yenkos were not factory Chevrolet cars. They were ordered with specific GM equipment then were tweaked by Don Yenko's dealership. I like the opinions here but there is no longer a need to bash these companies. A build, any build, is a project we throw $$, time and effort into. They all are a little different and the result sometimes works out well, sometimes lingering problems leave a bad taste. It's also a legit point about how much the buyer drives the car. HPE customers prob don't drive the cars as much as those clients from other builders therefore residual value isn't that big of a deal and lower package price trumps pedigree. I'll propose we line up a few of these different cars at the next Camaro Fest, race 'em and have a few beers!
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:14 PM   #75
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
next Camaro Fest
Well, when and where, or does COVID have everything on hold?
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #76
Phil zl1

Drives: 2022 zl1
Lol. Great bang for the buck.
Phil zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #77
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
God bless the poor little devastatingly misguided soul that truly believes spending over $55,000 on a Hennessey package is a good investment.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:44 PM   #78
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil zl1 View Post
Lol. Great bang for the buck.
I agree. Drive it 4 years and get your purchase price plus $20k back, sweet.

HPE's pricing has to be high to pay for the development of the Venom F5, which might be the fastest road car.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.

Last edited by JSH; 01-18-2022 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #79
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I agree. Drive it 4 years and get your purchase price plus $20k back, sweet.

HPE's pricing has to be high to pay for the development of the Venom F5, which might be the fastest road car.

I think you missed the "sarcasm" with the LOL.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:35 AM   #80
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
First we must note that 850 HP is not 850 RWHP it is like 740 RWHP.

We do not believe in using the stock supercharger it is not the right thing to do, it's too small and the intercoolers inside it are in adequate for that much power.

We offer an 800-850 RWHP package (depending on available octane in your area) that includes a TVS 2650, Cam Headers and supporting mods for around the same money depending on options you choose.

When comparing packages please don't jump down to the bottom line numbers look at what you are actually getting detailed parts list, and services to install those parts properly.

All of our builds now include an ATI superdamper whether you want it or not.

If you are interested in a package of any level please call me directly I will be happy to discuss with you and provide detailed estimate. 203-753-7223

Warranty, We have to define the definition of Warranty, is it a warranty where the manufacturer stands behind it, or an insurance policy they sell you, where the insurance company fights with you about coverage, and there are tons of loopholes for them to get out of covering the claim?

There is no way for a Company to take on the Warranty like a major car manufacturer does when modifying an existing used, car to make more power due to how the car will be used and the simple fact that the core parts being reused are not designed from the ground up to handle that much power under sustained use and abusive conditions.

Most people that buy these big name builds put them in the garage and talk about them more than drive them.

I build cars to be driven like you stole them but also accept the responsibility that goes along with it.

The saying goes Race it, Break it, Fix it, Repeat!

Ted.
Ted, I sincerely hope you're still in the business of turning factory Camaros into crazy race cars in 5 years when my factory warranty runs out. I'll personally drop the car off at your shop if you're still in the business of turning gasoline into fun.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #81
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
Ted, I sincerely hope you're still in the business of turning factory Camaros into crazy race cars in 5 years when my factory warranty runs out. I'll personally drop the car off at your shop if you're still in the business of turning gasoline into fun.
I appreciate your confidence in JRE.

I certainly have no plans to close ever if it can be helped.

With Brandon running the country God only Knows what our future will bring.

I wouldn't wait 5 years Warranties are for Camrys LOL

All of our packages are geared toward 100% reliability and daily use as well as racing.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote