Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-15-2022, 07:03 AM   #1
Butler7508

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Lingenfelter 700
WeaponX 1000

Has anyone installed a WeaponX 1000 package on their car? It’s interesting that they switch to a port injection system and it sounds like the eliminate the direct injection. There are plenty of you guys more experienced (and smarter) that might have some thoughts on this.
Would love to hear from anyone that has this package or any Weapon x package to see how happy you are with them.

Thanks

Last edited by Butler7508; 01-15-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Butler7508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler7508 View Post
Has anyone installed a WeaponX 1000 package on their car? It’s interesting that they switch to a port injection system and it sounds like the eliminate the direct injection. There are plenty of you guys more experienced (and smarter) that might have some thoughts on this.
Would love to hear from anyone that has this package or any Weapon x package to see how happy you are with them.

Thanks
It does not eliminate Di it adds to it. Its a supplemental port system to help out the DI to reach their projected power target.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
Butler7508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
It does not eliminate Di it adds to it. Its a supplemental port system to help out the DI to reach their projected power target.
Thank you- that makes sense. Do you have any experience with them? I am looking for a high HP package for a ZLE but want it to have as minimal impact on drivability as possible. I know that’s a slippery slope….
Old 01-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Thank you- that makes sense. Do you have any experience with them? I am looking for a high HP package for a ZLE but want it to have as minimal impact on drivability as possible. I know that’s a slippery slope….
No personal experience with them but they're one of the more prominent shops. What are your power goals?
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #5
Butler7508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
No personal experience with them but they're one of the more prominent shops. What are your power goals?
900-1000 HP at the crank
I had a stock manual ZLE and couple of years ago and an auto ZL1 before that. Both were great cars but I have had a couple 750HP GTRs and looking for more acceleration this time around. I know it’s apples to oranges but I drove an auto ZLE this week and could tell I would want more power this time around. I get the feeling that the auto loses some of the connection and sense of speed that you get with a manual so that may have been part of it.
Still debating auto or manual. It won’t be a daily so I am leaning toward the manual…..1st world car guy problems
Old 01-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
900-1000 HP at the crank
I had a stock manual ZLE and couple of years ago and an auto ZL1 before that. Both were great cars but I have had a couple 750HP GTRs and looking for more acceleration this time around. I know it’s apples to oranges but I drove an auto ZLE this week and could tell I would want more power this time around. I get the feeling that the auto loses some of the connection and sense of speed that you get with a manual so that may have been part of it.
Still debating auto or manual. It won’t be a daily so I am leaning toward the manual…..1st world car guy problems
Are you looking to be driving around in slicks? That's the only way you are going find any traction on a 1000 hp camaro. If a 750 hp GTR wasn't fast enough, my advice would be to reach deep down in those 1st world pockets and get ready to build a 1200+ awhp GTR, only way you are going to find "more acceleration this time around". Spinning ain't winning, and the only way a 1000 hp camaro ain't spinning is slicks only.

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 01-15-2022 at 12:51 PM.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #7
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
Maybe look at HPE's Camaro builds and duplicate. There are vids of them how they hook or don't lol.
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #8
Butler7508

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Are you looking to be driving around in slicks? That's the only way you are going find any traction on a 1000 hp camaro. If a 750 hp GTR wasn't fast enough, my advice would be to reach deep down in those 1st world pockets and get ready to build a 1200+ awhp GTR, only way you are going to find "more acceleration this time around". Spinning ain't winning, and the only way a 1000 hp camaro ain't spinning is slicks only.
LOL- when is fast ever fast enough
I am not trying to replicate the GTR- I know a ZL1 is a different car. And 850 is probably safer on the motor with the right set up.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:38 PM   #9
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
LOL- when is fast ever fast enough
I am not trying to replicate the GTR- I know a ZL1 is a different car. And 850 is probably safer on the motor with the right set up.
No, the LT4 engine is more than capable of 1000 crank hp from the factory. Your problem isn't making power, it is transferring the power to the pavement. At those levels, without slicks, you are going nowhere. You need all wheel drive to have any hope of using that much power on the street without slicks.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Butler

Man this ain't gonna hook like the GTR did brother
Lol I'm sure you're well aware of that already

Seems like 600 whp on sticky tires is pretty manageable on the street
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Yeah agree, there are a lot of people with serious ZL1 builds on here and if the conditions aren't right and the tires aren't warm...it's just a smoke show and you'll get eaten up by EcoBoost Mustangs
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #12
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I have similar setup for my Edelbrock. Drives normal there are few hick ups at 1st that has to do with when to activate the injectors and how much fuel once its dialed in its perfect. You would never ever know that your running 2 types of injectors and 2 computers.

Plumbing

Basically your going to tap the tank muck like the DSX setup However, the pump will be quite a bit larger and it will be setup return style with a regulator. Some shops like crawford want you to use a T fitting to tie into the DI and port side. My tuner prefers to just use the aux pump strictly for the port. The port setup is return style with a Fuel pressure regulator and a line that goes back to the tank or T fitting that connects by the pump to return the fuel. Next will be how its delivered into the motor.****SEE PHOTOS*** In my case there were provisions in the blower that are drilled out for the port injectors to install into they are held down by a common LS fuel rail and L shape bracket. Weapon X welds bungs I believe to the whipple to installs injectors. I believe my tuner has had bad luck with leaks on a few of his setups. Most all the other blowers will use Spacers that fit between the blower and head and are drilled basically sideways. My tune isn't a fan of this either but they work but every one knows its better to squirt fuel down on the valves just like the Edelbrock or high dollar manifold you would use in a Procharger setup.

A mo better way lol is the Fore tripple intank that requires no tapping of the tank but its 2x the cost and 2x the labor.

Electronics..

Holley, Motec, or Haltec will be needed to control the port fuel injectors and some type of wideband sensor. There are a few setups like crawfords that has so many inputs (remember there are system designed to run the whole car if needed but all we need is to run the port) that if not installed properly it look like a huge mess.

Tuning:

You will need to find someone that knows his/her stuff and can do this type of tuning. for example.. Make sure you do some back ground checking with people that have experience with this type of setup. A Jannetty would be a no go.. Alex Pietz, Sorian, and few others do this all the time.

If your trying to save a few thousand this is the way to go if your pockets are limitless the XDI all DI would be better. lets face it you have a camaro not a 1320 twin turbo lambo so I assume this is the best option for all that want to make past 1000 safely and reliably.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote