Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #15
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast.Freddie View Post
We all know how that works! This was on a Dynojet ... Always a fun debate when people are trying to justify what their car did or didn't make 470.5 HP, 449.42 TQ , 574.3 HP 518.7 TQ after mods... Cant wait to see what the ported MSD and NW adds... They say 25, we will see..
I'll be interested to know the ass in the seat feeling for you. I've still got the stock intake on and was debating a ported msd intake this time around if I do anymore upgrades....*might* do a bit of a stronger cam too.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #16
Fast.Freddie
2015 Z/28 #48

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I'll be interested to know the ass in the seat feeling for you. I've still got the stock intake on and was debating a ported msd intake this time around if I do anymore upgrades....*might* do a bit of a stronger cam too.
Yeah the core charge for the heads was the same money as a ported MSD so i said send the part not the credit.. I'll let you know. It will be a while... Cold in these parts for a few more months!
Fast.Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:41 PM   #17
Cvargz4589

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Ok after reading this post and previous posts about the subject, it’s definitely got me thinking (and somewhat worried to be honest). My Z has a little over 10k miles bought off of the original owner. Never been tracked or beat on from what I know. I guess my question is what should I pay attention for if anything to prevent anything catastrophic? If I want to be preemptive but also keep the car as stock as possible which was always my goal for my Z, what’s the bare minimum that needs done? I’m assuming just “heads fixed” but what would that ballpark run price wise out of curiosity?
Cvargz4589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:44 AM   #18
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvargz4589 View Post
Ok after reading this post and previous posts about the subject, it’s definitely got me thinking (and somewhat worried to be honest). My Z has a little over 10k miles bought off of the original owner. Never been tracked or beat on from what I know. I guess my question is what should I pay attention for if anything to prevent anything catastrophic? If I want to be preemptive but also keep the car as stock as possible which was always my goal for my Z, what’s the bare minimum that needs done? I’m assuming just “heads fixed” but what would that ballpark run price wise out of curiosity?
I remember reading a pretty good article in one of the Vette forums reposted by one of the members here. It referenced an inspection known as a "wiggle check" that can be done on the car. Some folks swear by it, others swear at it. You really need to know what you're doing to get an accurate measurement. On the preventive maintenance side you can remove your heads, send them to Katech and they will doctor them for reliability for I believe under $3K. Don't forget extra parts (gaskets, hardware, coolant etc.) so maybe ballpark $4K or so total. (?)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #19
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvargz4589 View Post
The link below can give you an idea...I went with these for my first Z/28. As far as the wiggle test, I'm not sure thats really that accurate, but its easier than getting real measurements. I'll let someone with more time in the heads personally speak to that
You can get the heads fixed with minimal or no additional porting or milling, however most "fixed" heads come with further porting I found when I was searching. If memory serves, GPI will allow you to ask for no porting (they used to NOT come with additional porting I was told, but do now), so I imagine others will too. Or, you could just pull the heads and replace them.

https://gwatneyperformance.com/product/ls7-heads/
**2k core charge iirc, unless you send your heads in
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #20
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I cant remember if it was on here or on the facebook group (or somewhere else), but someone with only a bit over 800 miles on their engine dropped a valve that I saw at one point :|
Brand spanking new car basically, and BAM, so much for the corrected heads lol
That would be me...

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419077
Old 01-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #21
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post

That was an interesting thread. To summarize:

1. In a land far far away, there exists a good service department
2. Some engine builders know to Wide Open Throttle to seat the rings and improve compression and HP and lower oil consumption...but don't tell those who need a slow driving ritual security blanket.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #22
Z28WANNAB

Drives: 2014 Z28 CTF AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
That was quite a story about your engine. Wow. Also, your prostock experience! Thats impressive!
2014 Z28 CTF AGM #99066
69 Z11 Convertable 4 spd - now has 496 w 6 spd, other minor suspension upgrades Owned since '78
Formerly owned 2013 ZL1, miss it
2000 XKR
Z28WANNAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #23
4 FN 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
That was an interesting thread. To summarize:

1. In a land far far away, there exists a good service department
2. Some engine builders know to Wide Open Throttle to seat the rings and improve compression and HP and lower oil consumption...but don't tell those who need a slow driving ritual security blanket.
Yes and Yes...sorry I was up "nordth" as they say here in Minnesnowta enjoying the wonders of winter...
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #24
4 FN 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28WANNAB View Post
That was quite a story about your engine. Wow. Also, your prostock experience! Thats impressive!
Thank you!!!

Both were memorable...LOL...

Now I lead a boring life...
Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #25
Hda

Drives: Porsche 911
As a summary:

Wiggle test means nothing - it can still happen
Miles mean nothing - it happens at 300 miles or at 30,000
Driving conditions mean nothing - whether you track it or not it can happen.

Sounds like a Porsche 996 IMS issue!
Hda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #26
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Guys that have had LS7's apart...... what do you think is a bigger factor:

1. Side loading on the valves tip from a non-roller rocker with lots of sweep?

Or.....

2. Too short of a guide to properly control the valve and keep it stabile?

I'm thinking of purchasing a set of T+D shaft rockers that bolt up to stock LS7 heads. I don't know anybody that runs them though. Not sure how they'd do in a street/autocross application. I'm hoping that they aren't the "check every 12 runs" type of rocker.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #27
Z28WANNAB

Drives: 2014 Z28 CTF AGM
Any one go with a Texas Speed package with matching cam and lifter/springs?
2014 Z28 CTF AGM #99066
69 Z11 Convertable 4 spd - now has 496 w 6 spd, other minor suspension upgrades Owned since '78
Formerly owned 2013 ZL1, miss it
2000 XKR
Z28WANNAB is offline   Reply With Quote