Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
SilverSurfer18

Drives: 2021 1SS Camaro
Tuning out high idle from cold start?

Is it possible to tune this out? Ive heard this is to warm the cats but i dont have any, anymore so i am wanting to turn this off. Sounds like crap and i have tried 3 different exhaust setups and none of them sound good at start up. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
5-10 seconds of high idle is useful to build oil pressure to flow lubricant to the top of the engine, fill lifters, bearings, journals, etc. So I would keep the high RPM part of the cold start.

You'll likely want to tune out the RICH part of the high-idle @ cold start, which lights off the cats the car no longer has.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Disable cat warmup in HP Tuners. All you have to do is change the temp settings to a value the car will never see. This will remove the Catwarmup where the timing gets pulled negative and the car gets really loud. You will still have the normal higher idle which is necessary to get the oil and coolant flowing, but it will be far less noticeable noise-wise. There is no need to change fueling. The cat warm up is done by allowing the combustion event to complete while the exhaust vales are open, shooting much hotter gas directly into the cats. You need the richer startup on a cold engine as cold pistons don't light off stoich (14.1/14.7) very well until they get a little heat in the combustion chamber.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote