Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
linuxbox

Drives: 2017 2ss coupe
Wiring harness while changing torque converter

Ok. So 2 days ago I took my 2017 camaro 2ss back to the dealership I purchased the car from to have the torque converter replaced. I was told it was ready to be repaired and they told me it would be 1.5 days. Should have been completed yesterday. I called this morning and asked for an update. Said they were waiting on a part. I'm like, wtf? what do you mean you're waiting on a part? said they were waiting on a wiring harness. said it was with fedex and after they got the part it would be six hours.

my question is for anyone who is familiar with replacing the torque converter on this vehicle. I'm thinking the mechanic probably broke the existing wiring harness while working on the vehicle or they haven't even begun working on it. should a wiring harness be involved in replacing a torque converter? i mean what is wrong with the existing wiring harness? feels like i'm being fed a nice line of horse sh*t. this is day 3 of me having to pay insurance on the car rental. Dealership is costing me time, money and gas. is this normal procedure?

thanks.
linuxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
I'd bet they broke a connector on the harness they have on order. I don't know what they ordered so there's no telling what harness it is, most likely one of the ones for the transmission. To be honest though, things happen like that all the time and are unforseen issues and sometimes unavoidable. Just be glad they are getting a new one and not not just rigging it to get it out the door quicker.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
linuxbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
I'd bet they broke a connector on the harness they have on order. I don't know what they ordered so there's no telling what harness it is, most likely one of the ones for the transmission. To be honest though, things happen like that all the time and are unforseen issues and sometimes unavoidable. Just be glad they are getting a new one and not not just rigging it to get it out the door quicker.

i'm fine with a mistake but it's costing me money and time. they should have zero problem paying for another day of car rental that is currently costing me $25/day. Herb Jones Chevrolet of Elizabethtown, Ky. i do not recommend their services.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #4
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxbox View Post
i'm fine with a mistake but it's costing me money and time. they should have zero problem paying for another day of car rental that is currently costing me $25/day. Herb Jones Chevrolet of Elizabethtown, Ky. i do not recommend their services.

Why didn't they give you a loaner? My dealer does whenever the repair takes more than 3 hours.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Your dealer should be giving you a free loaner for a substantial warranty repair.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
linuxbox

Because Herb Jones Chevrolet in Elizabethtown, ky sucks

Plain and simple. they called enterprise to pick me up and i have to pay the insurance on the car. so if my car is done today like i was told yesterday it would be right at their closing time, it'll end up costing me $100 this week ($25/day) plus time and gas just to wait for a torque converter to be replaced in my car. pathetic. like i said, i highly do not recommend anyone purchase a vechile from Herb Jones Chevrolet.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
rspitler

Drives: 2017 SS Convertible
Quote:
Plain and simple. they called enterprise to pick me up and i have to pay the insurance on the car. so if my car is done today like i was told yesterday it would be right at their closing time, it'll end up costing me $100 this week ($25/day) plus time and gas just to wait for a torque converter to be replaced in my car. pathetic. like i said, i highly do not recommend anyone purchase a vechile from Herb Jones Chevrolet.
Unless I'm wrong but doesn't your car insurance cover rentals? No need to purchase additional insurance from rental company.
rspitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
Unless I'm wrong but doesn't your car insurance cover rentals? No need to purchase additional insurance from rental company.
it does, but you still have to pay deductibles.

car rental companies offer additional (optional) insurance that goes through them and has a zero deductible. so no matter what happens to the vehicle, while it's in your possession, you won't have to pay for it. there is the on going joke that you can just get the optional insurance and take a rental car off roading/drag racing/beat the crap out of it, and not have to pay a dime for it if you bring it back with the bumper barely hanging on, as long as you got the optional insurance.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
You chose to take the additional insurance, that's solely your choice. The dealership(or GM for that matter) is not responsible for it. You're upset because you have to spend $$ on gas on a rental car? You'd be using the same gas if it was your car, no? I'm not trying to minimize that the dealership may have made a mistake but you're nitpicking now, no one forced you to buy the additional insurance and you're using gas you'd normal use anyway(in fact probably less gas since the rental is most likely more fuel efficient). No need to put a dealership on blast for stuff you chose.....
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #10
rocknss

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
You chose to take the additional insurance, that's solely your choice. The dealership(or GM for that matter) is not responsible for it. You're upset because you have to spend $$ on gas on a rental car? You'd be using the same gas if it was your car, no? I'm not trying to minimize that the dealership may have made a mistake but you're nitpicking now, no one forced you to buy the additional insurance and you're using gas you'd normal use anyway(in fact probably less gas since the rental is most likely more fuel efficient). No need to put a dealership on blast for stuff you chose.....

X2
2001 Chevy Camaro SS (sold)
1969 Chevy Suburban (restoration project)
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I want my click back, this thread is wasting my time and energy
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
linuxbox

on another note

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknss View Post
X2

bottom line is they should have let me driven a car they have there. lastly, kaitie who works in the service department never even called me back thursday when they were done with the vehicle If i had not of called them around 3 pm they would have never even called me to let me know the car was done which would cost me another day of $25 rental. that's pathetic. i called her and she was like "oh im sorry i already thought i called you.blah blah blah." i'm like yea katie dont worry just a simple $25 mistake dont worry about it *rolleyes* just unprofessional. i'll give it another few thousand miles. fortunately here in ky we have the ky lemon law which so far applies to my circumstance.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
bottom line is they should have let me driven a car they have there. lastly, kaitie who works in the service department never even called me back thursday when they were done with the vehicle If i had not of called them around 3 pm they would have never even called me to let me know the car was done which would cost me another day of $25 rental. that's pathetic. i called her and she was like "oh im sorry i already thought i called you.blah blah blah." i'm like yea katie dont worry just a simple $25 mistake dont worry about it *rolleyes* just unprofessional. i'll give it another few thousand miles. fortunately here in ky we have the ky lemon law which so far applies to my circumstance.
Maybe they didn't have a loaner car available(and a dealer isn't going to slap on a dealer plate and let you drive around in one of their cars unless it's an extreme circumstance which yours is not). The fact is you opted for the additional insurance, that's solely on you. So the dealership isn't costing you a dime. Sure it sucks the service department didn't call you...that's on them and they should be bitched at for it. But as far as using gas and paying for the Enterprise(I'd assume) additional insurance...that's on you man.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
For overnight warranty repair, the dealer owes you a rental car. They probably don't owe you a loss damage waver, which is basically a no-deductable insurance policy on the rental car. Your car insurance probably has a deductible.

Personally, I always pay for the LDW when renting a car, even though it is substantial.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote